Frequent notifications about Authentication Required (screenshots attached)

Options

Hi,

I begin to experience frequent notifications about "Authentication Required" in 1password X extension. I have not changed my master password or 2FA recently. It only started this morning. I've experienced it on 2 of my macs running latest stable Chrome and 1password X extension. But the extension is actually working fine (not locking itself) in this situation.

There are many errors in the logs in background page of the extensions, mostly about failed MFA, but I do not receive any prompt to re-enter the MFA codes.

There are also similar errors when I use the web app. I have attached all error logs in the screenshots below.

Below is the notification I received.

Below is the error log in the extension.

Below is the error log in the web app.

Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 1.12
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• tqla
    tqla
    Community Member
    Options

Did you try to logout and login again? It will most likely ask you to enter a 2FA code.

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I tried to logout from the web app, and login again, it did prompt me to use a MFA token, which I entered and ok. I will keep monitoring and post if there is another "Authentication Required" popping up.

• Thank you for the report, @alexyang.

Logging out and logging in again likely fixed the issue so you're probably all set now. What should have happened on an MFA failure like the one shown in your logs is a notification should appear. That's in your screenshot so so far so good. 🙂

Clicking the notification should open a new tab to 1Password.com so you can log in again. Did you try clicking the notification or did you press the Close button? It's not the most intuitive UI as there's only one button so I'm guessing you clicked the one and only button there and dismissed the notification.

We would like to make this more obvious and have some plans on how to do that in a future update. The challenge is we don't want to interrupt your workflow.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear things seem to be sorted now. Please let us know if that ever changes. 🙂

Take care,

++dave;

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @dteare , I did try to click the notification and it brought me to the login page. But when I logged in with my master password, there was no prompt for MFA token, and authentication was successful, even though there were errors in the screenshot. And after about 5 minutes the popup appeared again.

The only change in my side was that I tried to turn off the auto locking option of the extension on Friday. And on Monday I had this issue, and I turned it back on. I then manually logged out from website as suggested, restarted browser and logged back in. Only this time it prompted me the MFA token.

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

I think the root cause might be the discrepancy between server timeout and extension timeout. I began to experience the same issue on my other PC today, and found out that I forgot to turn the auto lock on on that PC. So the extension has auto lock turned off but web app is still configured to auto lock after 10 minutes. After 10 minute, the server session ended, but extension is still unlocked, and any server communication would probably trigger an authentication challenge.

Above is just my wild guess for you to consider.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alexyang,

I'm not sufficiently versed in how all of this works so I'm going to ask a colleague, somebody I hope will be able to comment in an intelligent manner.

@DaltonD, any thoughts?

• Hey @alexyang. That's a good guess regarding the 1password.com and 1Password X autolock timer, but I don't believe they're related in this case. 1Password X doesn't depend on you being signed in to 1password.com in order to function. It does depend on your account being authenticated in order to sync, however, which is why you're seeing a system notification prompting you to do so.

As Dave mentioned, once you clicked on the authentication notification and signed in to 1password.com, your account should have been authenticated properly. Are you still seeing notifications to authenticate frequently? Also, do you have 1Password X currently set to never lock or lock after a certain number of minutes?

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @DaltonD , I've seen this notification frequently after i tried to disable the auto-locking of 1password x extension, and even when I change it back and set it to 20 minutes, I was still seeing the notification frequently. Now that I have changed the setting back to default (10 minute), I am seeing it less frequently, but it does not disappear entirely. I recall seeing it yesterday. That's why I guess it is the inconsistencies in server sessions and 1password x. The server session might ended when 1password x tries to sync the data in the background after 10 minute.

• dalton
    edited November 2018
    Options

Thanks for those helpful details, @alexyang. It's not immediately obvious to me why you're still seeing authentication notifications and how specificaly the auto-lock timer is affecting the frequency of those notifications. Would you be willing to try removing and re-adding the affected account to 1Password X? You can do so by opening the popup, clicking the gear icon in the top right corner, clicking Settings, then clicking Remove next to the account in the Settings page. Once the account has been removed, click Add an account to add it back.

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

@DaltonD Thanks for the help. This issue has not occurred since my last post in any of my machines. I guess either adjusting timeout back or a possible fix in the server end has fixed this issue. I will try your suggestions once I have this issue again in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. Thanks for the update! :)

This discussion has been closed.