Touch ID in iOS Safari browser extension

Options
dmbrown
dmbrown
Community Member

There does not seem to be the ability to use Touch ID to unlock the iOS Safari extension. If there is, please let me know how. If not, please consider this a request for a new feature.

1Password Version: iOS version 7.0.5, Pro
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.2.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dmbrown,

You can use Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari. Do you have Touch ID enabled in 1Password? If not you can learn about how to enable it here:

Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your iPhone or iPad

Please do note that Touch ID is not a replacement for the Master Password, and it is critical that you have your Master Password memorized even with Touch ID enabled. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• dmbrown
    dmbrown
    Community Member
    Options

Well, this is embarrassing. Prior to writing to you, I enabled Touch ID on my iPad and in 1Password. However, while Touch ID worked in 1Password itself, it did not appear when opening the Safari extension. Really...I swear I tried! :) After reading your comment, I tried 1Password in Safari and, indeed, Touch ID works fine there as well. I don't know what happened the first time around. In any event, thanks for your help, and my apologies for wasting your time!

• Ben
    Options

No worries and no waste of time! Always happy to help. :) Glad to hear it is working now.

Ben

• sdes
    sdes
    Community Member
    Options

I had exactly the same issue, it seems that sometimes on iPhone iOS the touch ID option for 1Password (7) is enabled and at other times not. On 1P 6 I don't think I ever experienced it not working, but 1P7, although enabled in settings etc, and yes, working for the 1P7 app when used directly, sometimes not offered within the Safari browser passwords option - i.e. it offers you 1Password as an alternative to the keychain, but then insists you type in your full master password.

I had this two days back whilst being asked to sign up for a food delivery service on the doorstep, with the agent using my phone half the time, so then putting my master password in front of them was not ideal....tested later to see what I was doing wrong and it failed again, trying again today it works, but having quit 1P7 and restarted it, not sure if that helped, but it seems to have done.

• Ben
    Options

Touch ID is not a complete replacement for the 1Password Master Password (just as it is not a complete replacement for the PIN / passcode code for the device). There are instances where even with Touch ID enabled it’ll be necessary to enter the Master Password. That said you may wish to review your settings in 1Password > Settings > Security to be sure 1Password is set up to lock when you’d like it to. Please note that using the ‘Lock Now’ option there will always force the Master Password to be required on next unlock.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.