TOTP not updating in dock

stahl80
stahl80
Community Member

Went from a AW S0 with watch OS 4 to a AW S4 with watch OS 5. When I had 1Password in the “dock” before it updated the TOTP password without clicking the app in the dock but on the S4 with Watch OS 5 I have to click on 1Password in the dock for it to update (only showing same number). Issue or is this the way it works now?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stahl80: The Dock was a watchOS 3 feature. It doesn't exist in watchOS 5. Are you maybe referring to the Recent Apps list? If so, anything you see there is essentially a screenshot of what was last shown in that app, not a live-updated view. In most cases apps you see there aren't even running. It's just a list of those you've used most recently. We don't have any control over that view. You'd need to actually open 1Password to access any data there in real time.

• stahl80
    stahl80
    Community Member

Thanks for the answer. I both agree and disagree. It’s still named the dock in the iPhone watch app, so there is still a dock. But it could be that pre watch OS 5 it worked like a real dock with live updates but since all watches witch OS 5 is so snappie it might not keep the apps alive to be fast. That’s a shame, very nice when they updated live....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the answer. I both agree and disagree. It’s still named the dock in the iPhone watch app, so there is still a dock.

Aha! You're right! I hadn't noticed that since it certainly doesn't behave like a Dock (unless you count the new-ish Recent Apps feature on Macs and iPads). Thank you for pointing that out!

But it could be that pre watch OS 5 it worked like a real dock with live updates but since all watches witch OS 5 is so snappie it might not keep the apps alive to be fast. That’s a shame, very nice when they updated live....

That's correct. I don't recall all of the details, but "pinning" apps (probably not the right term) in the Dock in watchOS 3 had the effect (for the most part) of keeping them in memory. It did make them more responsive, and I rather liked that feature (and a few others that are gone now) myself. But I don't think most people were even aware of it or used it much, apart from us. While I do long for some features that are gone now, it has been cool to see the platform evolve over the years, if a bit bittersweet. Given the cool stuff we've gotten in watchOS 4 and 5 I think I'll still call it a win on balance. :)

• stahl80
    stahl80
    Community Member

Agree! Guess I have to adopt my behavior :). Let’s hope we get a complication for 1Password soon!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We haven't had many requests for that, and it would be a bit problematic to display something useful in such a small space, but it's certainly something we can consider for future versions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.