Confused after upgrading!!!!

pugmum
pugmum
Community Member

-I have been a 1Password user for many years and just today upgraded to the Mac 7 version and signed up for your monthly subscription

-what I now have on the v7 app on my Mac are two Vaults:

a) One vault under the header “MY NAME” which is called “Personal”. This vault only contains 45 items and I don’t know where it came from. I cannot delete it as the delete option is greyed out in the menu. I’ve therefore just renamed it “Personal-don’t use”

b) A second vault called “Primary” which falls under the header “ON DROPBOX”. This is the good vault that I want to keep, containing 916 items. It is my life lol!!!! If I tried, I could delete it because I see that "delete" is not greyed out in the menu but of course, I do not want to!

-When I sign into 1Password V7 on my Mac, I use the same password to access it that I used in my previous Mac 1Password version.

-However, when I signed up for your subscription, it had me create an online account and I had to create a new password, which I did. Now I have to use that new Password to gain online access using the URL https://my.1password.com

-But when I log into that URL, I only see that vault I do NOT want… the one with only 45 items in it.

So, here are my questions:

1) Am I correct that the reason that I cannot delete the “personal-do not use” vault is because that is in fact my Primary Vault and the Vault on Dropbox is actually not the Primary Vault?

2) If I am correct, how do I switch those around so I can delete the one I don’t want

3) If I’m not correct what do I do so that I only have ONE vault and it contains only those 916 items?

4) How do I get those 916 items… that correct vault… to appear on my online version as well?

5) Does the header that reads as my name in all caps along the left column of the Mac app represent where my database is now being stored as a subscription member (ie is it on the '1Password 'cloud'?

6) If the answer to 5 is yes, do I still need to backup using Dropbox?

7) Once I have everything sorting out above, is there anything special I should know/do before I try to get this new subscription or way of doing things on my other computer and Apple devices (iPhone/iPad)… ie do I need to download a new app on the iOS devices, etc?

Thanks!

1Password Version:7
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version:Mac - Mojave 10.1.4
_Sync Type:
Uncertain!

Comments

• pugmum
    pugmum
    Community Member

-I have been a 1Password user for many years and just today upgraded to the Mac 7 version and signed up for your monthly subscription

-what I now have on the v7 app on my Mac are two Vaults:

a) One vault under the header “MY NAME” which is called “Personal”. This vault only contains 45 items and I don’t know where it came from. I cannot delete it as the delete option is greyed out in the menu. I’ve therefore just renamed it “Personal-don’t use”

b) A second vault called “Primary” which falls under the header “ON DROPBOX”. This is the good vault that I want to keep, containing 916 items. If I tried, I could delete it because I see that it is not greyed out in the menu but of course, I do not want to.

-When I sign into 1Password V7 on my Mac, I use the same password to access it that I used in my previous Mac version

-However, when I signed up for your subscription, it had me create an online account and I had to create a new password, l which I did. Now I have to use that new Password to gain online access using the URL https://my.1password.com

-But when I log into that URL, I only see that Vault I do NOT want… the one with only 45 items in it.

So, here are my questions:

1) Am I correct that the reason that I cannot delete the “personal-do not use” vault is because that is in fact my Primary Vault and the Vault on Dropbox is actually not the Primary Vault?

2) If I am correct, how do I switch those around so I can delete the one I don’t want

3) If I’m not correct what do I do so that I only have ONE vault and it contains only those 916 items?

4) How do I get those 916 items… that correct vault… to appear on my online version as well?

5) Does the header that reads as my name in all caps represent where my database is now being stored as a subscription holder?

6) If the answer to 5 is yes, do I still need to backup using Dropbox?

7) Once I have everything sorting out above, is there anything special I should know before I try to get this new subscription or way of doing things on my other computer, and Apple devices (iPhone/iPad)… ie do I need to download a new app on the iOS devices, etc?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: os x 10.1.4
    Sync Type: was dropbox

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pugmum - I'm sorry for the confusion! When you signed up for a 1password.com membership, what you created was a 1password.com account. This is the "MY NAME" followed by the Personal vault. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product (this is how you were previously using it):

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

Since you've subscribed to a 1password.com membership, that's the vault you'll want to keep. I don't know how 45 items made it into that vault, but what you'll want to do is migrate the data from your Primary vault into your Personal vault, then delete the Primary vault.

That presumes you want to keep your 1password.com membership. It's what I'd recommend, for many reasons. Let me know if that's how you'd like to proceed, and we'll go from there.

• pugmum
    pugmum
    Community Member

I think I've got it all fixed up. I deleted all the items in the smaller vault, and then imported all of the items from the larger vault. Then I deleted that vault from which I grabbed everything to import. Everything is renamed and seems to be up and running really well. Once I understood how the new system works, it all made sense to me. Thanks for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pugmum - glad to hear it! Make sure you've got only your Personal vault running on all your devices -- no other vaults, Primary or anything else. You can create new vaults later if you wish, but for now, make sure all your data is in Personal and that's the only vault you're running. You should be good to go from there on, but let us know if you have any other questions or issues. Cheers! :)

• pugmum
    pugmum
    Community Member

Yup... done! Thx :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.