Auto-fill with USAA keeps erroring when the user/pass are correct.

bensieg
bensieg
Community Member
edited October 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password
Version 6.8.9 (689000)
Mac App Store
OS X High Sierra 10.13.6
Google Chrome Version 70.0.3538.67 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Auto-fill with USAA keeps erroring when the user/pass are correct. I had to update the password and now USAA website keeps throwing an error notice when the user/pass are correct. I can logon by copying and pasting user/pass one at a time. It is the auto-fill feature of 1P that isn't working—it causes the website to throw its error notice saying that the user/pass are incorrect. Understand what's happening? I tried making a screenshot but everytime I do that the error notice goes away before I can.

1. I've updated my browser
  2. restarted my browser
  3. cleared cache

1Password Version: Version 6.8.9 (689000)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:usaa

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bensieg,

Can you test and see if you see the same error message with an entirely new Login item saved using the steps detailed on our support page How to save a Login manually in your browser please.

• bensieg
    bensieg
    Community Member

Ok, that works now. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @bensieg,

Excellent! I'm glad that worked as errors that only display after submitting are tricky with financial institutes, it is nigh on impossible to create test accounts so if we don't happen to be a customer already it's a lot of guesswork. At least the new item is behaving. If that should change at all please let us know.

• gordon3834
    gordon3834
    Community Member

For what it's worth, I was having the same issue, and it turned out the password I had saved in 1Password was incorrect – specifically, it was too long. Apparently USAA limits password to a maximum length of 13 characters (ugh!), but unlike just about every other website, it doesn't give you an error if you try to enter a longer password password in the field, when trying to login or when initially creating your password – it just silently truncates it.

If I copy-pasted my too-long password into the Password field for login, it would silently truncate it and login would succeed. If however I tried to login using 1Password autofill, it would bypass the truncation, input the full-length password into the field (which was longer than supported by USAA), and login would fail. I did not realize this until I manually saved the password as recommended above and realized they did not match.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gordon3834

Thanks so much for the tip, I think it's worth at least 5 cookies (real kind, not the browser ones). :smile:

It's very interesting to see how people have different interpretations of what the registration and login flows should look like. I bet there was some logic behind the decision to truncate passwords, and I'm curious to know what it was. :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.