Battle.net password autofilling incorrect.

Options

I have noticed the site Battle.net/Blizzard.com the login never seems to fill in correctly. I am unsure exactly what is being put in the password box. I checked to make sure the password is correct by copying it from 1Password and pasting it manually.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.12.3
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @xIGBClutchIx,

So I tested two Login items. I tested my original item from when I first tested this site back in 2015 and then I created an entirely new Login item using 1Password X just now. What I found is I could use 1Password X to successfully log into the account using either Login item. So on the surface it looks like we work.

What I do note is on my test battle.net Login item I have a number of password requirements listed which I would have obtained from the site and they include 16 characters max and don't use special characters. Is it possible that 1Password has recorded a password that when it sets the password field to that the site is unhappy but if you try to copy and paste it works? I have seen sites where they will alter the password put into the password field when you copy and paste, input sanitisation, something that is hard for us to trigger.

If you find copy and paste does work can you try saving a new Login item for me please after using copy and paste and see if the stored password looks any different and whether the new item works.

• xIGBClutchIx
    xIGBClutchIx
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

So I copy and pasted my password I noticed it was 18 characters. It seems battle.net changed to now use 16 character passwords I guess but I have a 18 and so they have so weird legacy password thing going on. And when I did save it with 1password it cut it down to 16 characters. So I personally just changed my password to a new one with 16 characters in length and now it seems to be working. @littlebobbytables

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @xIGBClutchIx,

Sadly it isn't the first time I've seen this crop up but I wonder when they allowed 18 characters given the age of my own test account. That's one thing about password managers, they tend to highlight weird limitations once you go from something you're confident you can remember/type to something where you can smugly look at it and know nobody is guessing this, not even with the various lookup tables that get used. At least we discovered the cause and things are working better.

• xIGBClutchIx
    xIGBClutchIx
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Yeah definitely glad to get this fixed. Makes logging in so much simpler and not having to worry about forgetting my password on my clipboard. I have had this blizzard account for a long time now so it does not surprise me that they made a weird change like this and it was probably a while ago. Just wish they made it more public knowledge or just allowed decently long password lengths.

Thank you for helping looking into it! :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Here's to just allowing strong passwords. Unless you have a hosted database that charges per byte (has anybody ever offered such a thing? I suspect not) I just wish they'd let people pick insanely strong passwords and do away with all the daft limitations. About the only thing going for them is I've sadly seen far worse. Still the goal shouldn't be "Well we're not as bad as x, y or z".

This discussion has been closed.