Reporting Spam

StanTheMan
StanTheMan
Community Member
edited December 1969 in Lounge
I have just run a search for ‘Reporting Spam’ and came up with only one mention of the subject, where a Moderator mentioned it was part of the job.

Someone has recently made an inappropriate post at #25:

http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?21856-AllBookmarks-Menu-Bar-Icon-Spinning-Beach-Ball&p=120259&posted=1

If I have missed finding the correct location in which to report this sort of thing please tell me.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi stan took care of the post for you, and us :smile:

For quicker results if you look directly under your signature the is a dark colored triangle click on that and it will allow you to report the post as spam.

No matter how you report it we appreciate it because we don't like it in our house.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    The only problem i have with reporting spam is that i have to constantly wait a minute between them. There's constant spam for buying apple products and stuff. Are those accounts being IP banned as well?
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi mikhail

I have been killing a lot of the spam you reported,

The function available is to ban the user from the mods interface, maybe the true listed admins have other options available to them.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    I usually ban the spammer permanently and delete all the posts created by that user.

Tommy and other admins do not have this ability (yet?) as it could cause a huge mess in the event of an accident. We need an easy way to recover from an accident before enabling this feature for more people. I wish vbulletin made this easier but afaict its high time to find another forum software package.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    dteare wrote:
    I usually ban the spammer permanently and delete all the posts created by that user.

Tommy and other admins do not have this ability (yet?) as it could cause a huge mess in the event of an accident. We need an easy way to recover from an accident before enabling this feature for more people. I wish vbulletin made this easier but afaict its high time to find another forum software package.

Have you considered InvisionPower's IPS.Board? It does have the "soft-delete" feature that you might take advantage of. They also have their own free spam monitoring service.
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2010
    MikhailT wrote:
    Have you considered InvisionPower's IPS.Board? It does have the "soft-delete" feature that you might take advantage of. They also have their own free spam monitoring service.

Blargh, while I appreciate your input I personally strongly dislike both vB and IPS. I much prefer YaBB-style solutions such as SMF. If we are going to change forum software, I would strongly push for that. I've managed a few larger message boards, and SMF has always treated me the best from a moderation perspective.

In any event, someone (or someones) are really on top of this, because on more than one occasion I've gotten an email notification and before I'm able to click the link someone has already deleted the thread. So, thank you, to whomever is doing that.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    bwoodruff wrote:
    Blargh, while I appreciate your input I personally strongly dislike both vB and IPS. I much prefer YaBB-style solutions such as SMF. If we are going to change forum software, I would strongly push for that. I've managed a few larger message boards, and SMF has always treated me the best from a moderation perspective.

In any event, someone (or someones) are really on top of this, because on more than one occasion I've gotten an email notification and before I'm able to click the link someone has already deleted the thread. So, thank you, to whomever is doing that.

Well, shouldn't SMF suggestion wait until 2.0 is done? Switching forum packages in a short period of time ( that's like more than once per 5 year :)) isn't a good idea either.

As for IPS, I didn't say it was the best, just offering it as a suggestion to try it out since they do have vBB to IPS convertor. IPS just is one of those forum package that comes with good customer service (usually), large community behind it and usually does work. I don't have any strong preferences because many sites customize their forums to the point that it become a completely different version of the software and they can't even upgrade without breaking it either.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    While we're on the topic, can I recommend a visible Agile Staff headers? Something that everybody can see so that they know they are talking to a real staff member of AgileWS? Maybe an avatar image exclusive to AgileWS only or a mod to the forum package to set group colors or something.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    I was just coming here to report the same thing Ben was: by time I get to the reported posts they are gone. Sadly, I cannot tell from the email notification if the user was fully deleted and banned or if they were "softly removed" like regular moderators are allowed to do.

Because of this I'm thinking only super moderators should delete spam.

Tommy: can you stop deleting spam for now until we find a way to make you a super moderator?

MikhailT wrote:
    While we're on the topic, can I recommend a visible Agile Staff headers? Something that everybody can see so that they know they are talking to a real staff member of AgileWS? Maybe an avatar image exclusive to AgileWS only or a mod to the forum package to set group colors or something.

Yeah, I've wanted this for a while. It just hasn't bubbled up on the priority list. Magical new devices and updates from Apple take a lot of resources! :)
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2010
    Paychecks in the mail ..... right,

Oh wait a min you said super mod, not new hire, darn I got confused :-P

Can you tell I managed to get off work a little early today.

Edit : Dave see PM I sent you please. I also just sent a follow up so you should have 2 now.
This discussion has been closed.