Need PIN enabled or 1password requires master password every time on iOS

Options
wildpack
wildpack
Community Member

From other threads I finally figured out that I need a PIN Code enabled. Otherwise 1password keeps asking for my very long master password to be typed in every time I need Safari to fill in a password.

Should I not be able to specify "Lock on Exit" disabled, "Auto-Lock" 1 hour, and PIN Code disabled? Then 1password should ask every hour for the master password. (I dislike PINs as a matter of principle :)

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 12.1
Sync Type: subscription
Referrer: forum-search:requires masterpassword every time

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @wildpack

Is your device not capable of either Touch ID or Face ID? If it is not, you are correct: you'd either need to enable a PIN, or enter your Master Password each time you use 1Password.

Ben

• wildpack
    wildpack
    Community Member
    Options

I've got an older iPad, so I'd be stuck entering each time.

Also just noticed that with PIN Code disabled, text says "If you enable a PIN Code your Master Password will be stored in the IOS Keychain". True? Part of the reason I selected 1Password was to eliminate giving Apple sensitive information.

• Ben
    Options

Essentially, yes. It is obfuscated but we tend to not consider obfuscation to be a high level of protection so we don't mention it. Please note that the iOS keychain is a local element -- not to be confused with iCloud Keychain. The iOS keychain is stored only on the device, and we flag the secret we store there as "this device only" so that even backups do not include it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.