I’m going to be skinned alive! [How to migrate from standalone to 1Password.com]

Options
aztrifecta
aztrifecta
Community Member
edited November 2018 in iOS

I’m in a pickle & need help please. Or I might be skinned alive by my mother ! Lol. I’m trying to migrate her passwords from her old iPhone 6+ to her new iPhone X. I signed her up for a 1password account. And all vaults are shown on both phones. But I think I must have done the sync process backwards..(if that makes sense). Using the wrong phone first... I’m horribly confused. I’m afraid I might end up deleting all her passwords if I don’t ask for help now.. I’m stuck now because when I sync I have no old passwords on the new phone. Thank you

Comments

• aztrifecta
    aztrifecta
    Community Member
    Options

Can I erase all vaults on the new phone & start over from scratch?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aztrifecta: Please don't erase anything...unless you've reconsidered and decided that you do want to be skinned alive by your mother. ;)

Anyway, if you're still with us, I'm sure we can get her data transferred. I think it's best that we start with some basic facts:

1. What is OS and 1Password version on the device that has her data (the iPhone 6 Plus, it sounds like)?
    2. What is the name of the vault which has her data?
    3. Does she already have a 1Password.com account?
    4. If the answer to #3 is "yes", does she see all of her data if she signs into her account on the website?

I look forward to hearing back from you. :)

• aztrifecta
    aztrifecta
    Community Member
    Options

I’m still here, Brenty. Thank you!! 1P is version 7.1.1 & iOS 6plus version 11.4.1

The vault with all her info is listed under: On iCloud / Primary.

I’ve gotten horribly mixed up with primary & personal. And which one is which... .

I think she originally had it set up under personal.

I’m so sorry to such a dunce...I’m usually better at this . My own setup went smoothly...lol.

I’m checking the website now & will be right back with that info . 😊

• aztrifecta
    aztrifecta
    Community Member
    Options

Okay I’m in the website account: no it does not show all her info. It shows what is on the new iPhone X .

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aztrifecta: Okay. Great! Thanks for the info. I think I know what you need to do, but I'd rather ask two more questions first before telling you to do something you might want to undo afterward:

1. Is there any data in the account when signing into 1Password.com in the browser?
    2. Is all of the data she needs in the Primary vault on the iPhone 6 Plus? (Put another way, would it be okay if everything else was destroyed except that vault on the old phone?)
  • aztrifecta
    aztrifecta
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Yes, you are entirely correct. The only info on the website is the 3 entries received during registration. That mirrors what is on the iPhone X.

300 entries are on the 6plus only.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aztrifecta: Awesome! Thanks for confirming. Just don't want to mess anything else up here. Fortunately, that makes this very simple. Please do the following:

1. Save the Emergency Kit for the account in case it is ever needed: https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/
    2. Follow the instructions in the migration guide on the iPhone 6 Plus: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/?ios#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device

That will take you through signing into the account on the old device, migrating the data to the account, and then setting up all the other devices so the data is accessible on those as well. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• aztrifecta
    aztrifecta
    Community Member
    Options

I will immediately go do this. I appreciate your help so much! Thank you🙏😊.

I have a sneaking feeling I’ve already tried this.. but will go follow the steps here first. I might be back...lol.

I’ll post either way... 😉. Thnx

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aztrifecta: Sounds good! And if you happen to get stuck, just let me know the specifics and I'm sure we can get it sorted. :)

• aztrifecta
    aztrifecta
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the huge delay ... I saved the emergency kit. Scanned the code... it tells me 1password account already added in red. I don’t see anywhere to continue past that.

As I feared I had already completed these steps. But I did them backwards with new phone scanning the old phones code first.

Essentially I’m right back where I started. Sorry. I can’t add old phone to the new one. Because I already scanned it.

I’m getting punchy... it late. And my brain hurts...haha..😉

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aztrifecta: No worries. Thanks for letting me know. It sounds like you already added the account to the app and skipped the migration. If you sign out (1Password Settings > Accounts) and then sign back in, that should prompt you to migrate the data from the Primary vault to the account. Give that a try. That should do it, and then you can call it a night. ;)

• aztrifecta
    aztrifecta
    Community Member
    Options

Im certain I have tried to migrate already. But which device should I sign out on or both?

• Ben
    Options

@aztrifecta

Migrating is the only way forward, so whether you've tried it already or not we're going to have to give it another go. :) In his last post Brenty was referring to the iPhone 6 Plus -- the one that has the data that needs to be migrated on it.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.