1Password has been crashing immediately upon launch for the last several days. Mojave.

Options
US101Cyclist
US101Cyclist
Community Member

Two machines, 2012 and 2018 MacBook Pros. 1P worked initially after upgrading to Mojave, but not now. There was a security update last week. Maybe that broke 1P.? Thank good 1P continues to work in iOS. But, desperately need it to work in MacOS.

Tschüss.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password has been crashing immediately upon launch for the last several days. Mojave.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @US101Cyclist! I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you clarify for me a bit, however? Is 1Password not working on either of your Macs? Or only one of them? Can you tell me what specific version of 1Password for Mac and of macOS you're using on both devices, along with anything else you think is relevant? Thanks.

• US101Cyclist
    US101Cyclist
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, it's not working on either of the Macs. Just downloaded a fresh copy of 1P 7.2.2 from the App Store. Same thing. Immediate crash. macOs X 10.14.1. 1P was working fine on both two weeks ago.

I was about to do a clean install of the OS, then try again. But, then it occurred to me to open 1P on a third machine, 2010 Mac Mini OS X 10.13.6, 1P 6.8.8.

Surprisingly, instead of opening, I got an ever repeating notification window "Verifying 1Password App." It never opened. I restarted the Mac Mini and it opened fine. Then, I deleted 1P 6.8.8, downloaded and installed 7.2.2 from the App store. It started fine, and after providing our family account password, all was fine.

So, this is particular to the MacBook Pros. Let's see what happens with fresh OS.

• US101Cyclist
    US101Cyclist
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing after fresh OS install. Tried it with copy of 1P downloaded from App Store (never even get the change in icon from download to open), and a copy downloaded directly from Agile Bits. Also tried 7.2.1

Here is the beginning of the Console error log:
    Crashed Thread: 18

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (Code Signature Invalid)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000032, 0x0000000114056000
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x2

kernel messages:

External Modification Warnings:
    Thread creation by external task.

VM Regions Near 0x114056000:
    mapped file 0000000114050000-0000000114054000 [ 16K] r-x/rwx SM=COW
    --> mapped file 0000000114054000-000000011405c000 [ 32K] rwx/rwx SM=COW
    VM_ALLOCATE 000000011405c000-000000011405d000 [ 4K] rwx/rwx SM=PRV

• DennisH
    DennisH
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same issue. The icon to access 1Password disappeared from both Safari and Chrome when I updated to Mojave. I went to the website and entered my email address and password and the sign in box stays gray. Help!!

• US101Cyclist
    US101Cyclist
    Community Member
    Options

This really looks like a Mojave problem. It's happening now too with Things 3.7.4. I get exactly the same lines at the beginning of the Console report.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@US101Cyclist - I'm starting to think along the same lines, as this isn't a problem we get commonly reported. It sounds as if macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) may be corrupted and require re-installation. It might be worth un/re-installing 1Password 7 for Mac (and, I suppose, Things, though that's outside of the scope of what I'm qualified to advise you on), but if that doesn't solve or at least change things, then I'd say something in your upgrade to Mojave may have gone awry -- either that or you've got something else at the system level that's altering the bundles. That's what that error message is: a code-signing error. Unless you've been getting your software from dodgy pirate sites that have messed with the bundle (I presume you haven't :lol: ), you shouldn't be getting that at all.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @DennisH! So you're also having 1Password 7 for Mac crash immediately upon opening it, and you also get the codesigning error in the crashlogs?

• US101Cyclist
    US101Cyclist
    Community Member
    Options

I installed a fresh copy of the OS, but did not do a complete "clean install," erase disk, install fresh OS, restore from Time Machine. I might try that. No software from pirate sites, and I run a full suite of virus, malware, filter and scanners. Everything clean. But, you did remind me that the only software installed on both machine recently was Microsoft Office for Mac - about the time this problem appeared. Hmmmm.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@US101Cyclist - this sounds like something that's not confined to 1Password and not something I can effectively troubleshoot for you if you're having the issue with multiple apps. :(

• US101Cyclist
    US101Cyclist
    Community Member
    Options

Problem persisted after macOS 10.14.2 update, but a Clean Install fixed the problem with both 1P and Things. Booted into Recovery Mode, erased disk with Disk Utility, installing fresh copy of macOS 10.14.2, then restored my files from Time Machine back-up. That fixed the problem on both MacBook Pros. I guess the message here is to follow the advice that's often been given but usually ignored. With macOS updates (at least the major ones) better to do a Clean Install instead of just running the updater.

Cheers,
    Michael

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@US101Cyclist - We've been getting a few reports of strange behavior with Mojave, especially for those who had brought over previous system's setups via Time Machine. I'm glad to hear reinstallation seems to have solved the problem, but let us know if anything else should crop up. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.