Suggestion for Search button in Android + Favorites in Pop-Up Search

andmade
andmade
Community Member

Hi team,

I had a couple of usability suggestions I just wanted to share. The search button is the number one most used feature for me in Android! Pretty much anytime I open the app, it's because I need to search for a login because the autofill didn't recognize it, the password didn't actually fill, it just didn't pop up for whatever reason, or I'm on a non-personal PC and I need to grab a password real quick from the app.

The search itself is fine, but it would be great if the button could be in the bottom bar instead of at the top right hand corner. As a female lefty with a S9+...this is the hardest spot on the phone to reach one-handed! I'm not sure what I'd have it replace...I don't use tags, but I imagine there are many that do. Perhaps most logical would be swapping it with the Settings button or put Settings in the 3-button menu since presumably Settings is a bit of a set-it-and-forget-it thing, but obviously I don't know the whole story.

For the pop-up search, unlike 1P on the desktop apps, the favorites are not bunched together at the top of the search (seems to be alphabetical). This is mostly only a problem with my workplace, which has a lot of subdomains or logins for other users I use mostly occasionally, so whenever I hit one of our sites to login, I get a very long list of results, when there's one I'll be using...80%-ish of the time. It would be cool if that could be replicated, but I understand this may not be an issue for most people or it may make search slower. My personal solution was to stick an A* in front of the favorites so it shows up at the top (noticed numbers get sorted to the bottom), which works well enough.

1Password Version: 7.1.BETA-3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android Pie (Samsung Beta)
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Hi @andmade! Thanks for reaching out. As a leftie myself, I see what you mean. I'll pass your requests for both moving search to the bottom and sorting favorites to the top on to our development team. Let us know if you need anything else!

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member

I'd love to see a more accessible search button as well! I always use my phone one-handed and 95% of time when I launch 1Password, it's so I can search. Be great if search was towards the bottom.

One idea would be to just add it as a tab in the bottom nav. The downside is then you'd have five tabs, which starts feeling quite crowded!

I like how Spotify has a Search as a tab, where the first tap gives you a search screen with not only a search box, but also recent genres and all categories. A second tap will then open the full search, displaying the virtual keyboard. I could see a similar solution in 1Password. Merge a more search-focused screen with the Categories and Tags screens. Then you could actually reduce the number of tabs!?

Just a couple crazy ideas after thinking about it for a couple minutes. I'm sure you guys can come up with even better ideas! 🙂

• Thanks for your input here, Bikr! I would indeed like to see the search bar become more accessible and I'll pass your request and suggest on to our development team. ref: android-461

This discussion has been closed.