Chrome Extension and 1Password 4

After a new Windows install, I installed 1Password 4 (4.6) and got it working with my Dropbox account. But the Chrome extension doesn't work and shows a window "Looking for the 1Password helper" and fails stating "Could not connect to 1Password". What is the helper, and how do I get the extension to find the standalone program?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hello, @Luxury, and welcome to the forum! :chuffed: I'd like you to double-check a setting for me, as this is the culprit for these sorts of issue 9 times out of 10. Open and unlock the main 1Password 4 app and choose Help > Advanced. Make sure "Use Native Messaging protocol" is checked, then restart your browser(s) and give it another try. Let me know what you find out. :+1:

• wswliew
    wswliew
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate

Thank you! it works for me now. I have been using 1Password since it was launched and loved it so much that i have encouraged all my friends to use it. Great work, great team.

Continue the good work!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@wswliew: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :) I am glad to hear everything works fine now.

Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• terrin
    terrin
    Community Member

I have 1Password 4 for windows and my new laptop will not properly install the correct extension in Chrome. I tried going into the application and checked the "Use Native Messaging protocol". It says my 1Password is read only. It offers for me to add a license, but then directed me to folders that didn't have a license. I tried Firefox and the extension file was corrupt - I tried a couple times. Can you please assist?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @terrin,

If you are using 1Password 4 for Windows, please make sure that you do not have 1Password 7 installed on your computer. If you do, please do the following:

1) On the Start menu, select Settings.
    2) Select System > Apps & features.
    3) Find 1Password 7 there and then select Uninstall.
    4) Reboot your PC.

1Password extension should connect to 1Password 4 after that. Let me know if my hunch is correct here. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• terrin
    terrin
    Community Member

I do not have 1Password 7 on my laptop. One day the extension didn't work. Another day it did. Then it didn't (When I wrote the above). Then the next day it did. I am not doing anything different! When it doesn't work it can't find my vault and thinks I subscribe monthly. When it does work, then it works and my passwords can be found in the extension. Very strange.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@terrin: This discussion is about 1Password 4. The only way 1Password would have any reference to a subscription at all would be if you're using version 6 or 7. Please tell me the exact OS, 1Password (from Windows installed programs), browser, and extension versions you're using. What you're describing is due to having multiple versions installed.

• Chong-Te Ong
    Chong-Te Ong
    Community Member

I have similar issue but stranger, extension works in firefox but not chrome... any idea?

• jmclagan
    jmclagan
    Community Member

I am using 1Password 4.6.2.626 and today it stopped working for Chrome only. I have a customer that also uses 1Password and his Chrome extension doesn't work anymore either. Updated browser Chrome 72.0.3626.81 and most recent extension. Removed and re-added extension to no effect.

Extensions still work in IE and Firefox, just Chrome has an issue.

• ccrispo
    ccrispo
    Community Member

Hello I am a happy user of 1 Password and have it on my Mac, Iphone and PC
    I also recommended 1 Password to several friends and family but
    for some reason it stoped working on my PC as a Chrome Extension since last week. I have tried everything but cannot make it work

• ccrispo
    ccrispo
    Community Member

Sorry I forgot, I am using version 4.6.2.626 and don´t have version 7 installed

• @Chong-Te Ong: Same fix noted for earlier versions of Chrome here is the same first step I'd suggest for Firefox: Choose Help > Advanced and make sure "Use native messaging protocol" is checked. If it's not, check it, restart Firefox and give filling another go. :+1:

@jmclagan and @ccrispo: Chrome 72 has changed its code signature, so 1Password 4 will no longer recognize it. You can find more details about this in this thread and I'd recommend posting any follow-ups there.

• jmclagan
    jmclagan
    Community Member

Thank you for the reference @bundtkate :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@jmclagan: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! Please let us know if you have other questions, we are ready to answer all of them. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• ccrispo
    ccrispo
    Community Member

Thank you Kate but I tried this before posting my message because I read the thread.
    It did not change at all.
    I also looked to make sure that I did not have version 7 installed and that is also correct.
    Funy thing is that I have a Mac and also an Iphone, the Mac has a versino 6.XX installed and it works fine, the phone has a version 7.2.7 and it also works fine.

• ccrispo
    ccrispo
    Community Member

also have MS Internet Explorer installed with the extention but it sows as No Disponible

• There aren't any troubleshooting steps in that thread, @ccrispo. 1Password 4 won't work with the latest version of Chrome and what you're seeing is what we'd expect. This is the result of some changes to Chrome itself and not something we can correct without updating 1Password 4 and we won't be doing that since this isn't a security issue. That thread just explains why that's the case and has some suggestions if you'd like to continue using Chrome, chief amongst them upgrading to 1Password 7.

• kwishon
    kwishon
    Community Member

Having spent some time troubleshooting, I finally learned that 1password4 won't work with latest chrome browser on my windows pc. I have a couple suggestions to improve customer service on this. First, you should post information about this at https://support.1password.com/extension-troubleshooting/ . When the problem cropped up, that's where I went, and there is no mention of this issue. Instead, I had to go through all the troubleshooting steps, find out they didn't cure the issue, and then go searching for another solution. Second, do your long-time customers using 1Password4 or other earlier versions get some sort of deal on the upgrade? If they do, you should say so in these forum responses. Your forum responses sound callous (essentially "pay for a new version or get another browser").

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Having spent some time troubleshooting, I finally learned that 1password4 won't work with latest chrome browser on my windows pc. I have a couple suggestions to improve customer service on this. First, you should post information about this at https://support.1password.com/extension-troubleshooting/ . When the problem cropped up, that's where I went, and there is no mention of this issue. Instead, I had to go through all the troubleshooting steps, find out they didn't cure the issue, and then go searching for another solution.

Thanks for the suggestion. Our support guides are geared toward the current version of 1Password rather than all of the old ones (of which there are many, across multiple OSes), but it's something we'll consider. Regardless, those guides cannot and should not cover all contingencies, so getting in touch like this is the best thing to do when you're not sure about something. That's what we're here for. :)

Second, do your long-time customers using 1Password4 or other earlier versions get some sort of deal on the upgrade? If they do, you should say so in these forum responses.

Licenses are available at a discount currently still as I write this. You can purchase from within the app itself. But if you need help with that or have questions specific to your purchase, shoot us an email at sales@1password.com so we can assist you.

Your forum responses sound callous (essentially "pay for a new version or get another browser").

I don't see where anyone has said it that way, but yes, those are the options. I don't think it's beneficial to anyone for us to not mention them.

This discussion has been closed.