How long is password history kept in Teams?

Hi. We think we are seeing some issues where password history is only being kept for a year. I thought the Teams subscription the password history was kept for an unlimited amount of time? We cannot be certain, we have to trace when some items were put in and rotated, etc. So this is preliminary, but I want to ask anyone what is the expected behavior for a Teams subscription. Thanks,,,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jeff2000: I think it's important to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

"Password history" is what you see within a Login item, under "previously used passwords". This is just part of the item details and doesn't go away. The only way to get rid of it, is to Duplicate the item. The duplicate copy will not include previously used passwords because, well...it's a new item, and therefore has none that were used previously.

Are you maybe talking about the "item history" feature?

View and restore previous versions of items

That is for, essentially, data you've destroyed by changing it. You get unlimited items, but this "change log" is retained for a finite amount of time. How long depends on the specific plan you've selected. What is that, in your case?

• jeff2000
    jeff2000
    Community Member

Hi. Thank you for the clarification. We are own Teams subscription since it first came out. I think I am confused. I was referring to password history. Ie I change a password today and the current password is now first on this history with today’s date. So this will stay around forever right?

I am not sure why I got confused with item history. Could you give an example please? Is this maybe renaming an entry or something? Thank you very much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jeff2000: Sure thing! When you change a password in an item, the old one is saved under "previously used passwords". That is additive, like when you append another line to the end of a note. You won't lose that. I think it gets confusing with passwords because they're a special case: Logins retain a record of password changes.

If you add or remove some information from an item -- say, you change the address for an Identity -- item history will allow you to go "back in time" to view the version before you made that change. Just try it. I think it'll make sense to you then. :)

• jeff2000
    jeff2000
    Community Member

Hi. Ok I just tried this. It makes perfect sense now! You cleared everything up for me. Thank you very much! Thanks,,,

• Glad @brenty was able to help! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.