Safari Extension V7 installed but not working

Options
harrismix
harrismix
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

Hi, I just installed Version 7.2.2 on my High Sierra (Mac OS 10.13.6) iMac, the Version 7.2.2 extension is installed and showing in Safari Extensions but nothing happens when I click on the 1Password icon in the Safari toolbar, it just flashes once and does not do anything. I am a registered V7 user and the license shows OK in 1Password. Safari is version 11.1.2

If I try to update the extension I just get a box that says: 'Looking for the 1Password app - The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly.'

But of course it is installed, I can open 1Password without any problem bu the Safari extension does not work.

Thanks

Simon

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@harrismix: It sounds like you have an old 1Password extension and Safari installed. The extension can't be updated and won't work going forward. Please remove the extension, update Safari, and then restart your Mac.

• harrismix
    harrismix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Thanks but sorry I already removed the old extension and restarted, I only have the extension installed with number: 7.2.2. BETA-4 in Safari and my Safari version is: 11.1.2 (13605.3.8). The extension is enabled in Safari and when I click the tool bar button it just makes the Safari window flash once and nothing else happens.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@harrismix: Yeah, you need to update Safari, like I just mentioned. Please do that.

• harrismix
    harrismix
    Community Member
    Options

OK thank you, updating Safari fixed it!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! You're welcome. Thanks for the update (pun sort of intended)! Glad to hear all is well for you now, but we're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

• bhweiner
    bhweiner
    Community Member
    Options

With the recent safari update, the extension is not working. I have restarted, reloaded etc and still not working

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bhweiner: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, have you enabled the extension in Safari Preferences? Thanks in advance! :)

• bhweiner
    bhweiner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I am running safari Version 12.0 (14606.1.36.1.9), Mojave version 10.14 (18A391) on a MacBook pro. I have started and restarted both the computer and safari, uninstalled and reinstalled the extension, closed and restarted 1Password 7
    Version 7.2.1 (70201002). At the moment the extension does not show up anyplace and I get a spinning circle when it tries to connect to 1password

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bhweiner - thanks! So, assuming you've either got a 1password.com membership signed in, or you've purchased a standalone license for version 7, that won't be the issue. When you say you've uninstalled and reinstalled the extension, what do you mean? In version 7.2 and above, the 1Password extension is part of the app and cannot be manually un/re-installed. Are you trying to install the older 4.7.3.90 extension? If you visit Safari Preferences > Extensions, what version of the extension do you see there?

• bhweiner
    bhweiner
    Community Member
    Options

that must be the problem although I don't know how that could have happened. I uninstalled it again and installed from 1password7 but it reinstalled 4.73

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bhweiner: Starting with 1Password for Mac version 7.2 and Safari 12, we're using a Safari App Extension. This is part of the 1Password app itself. A separate extension does not need to be installed, and should not be. However, 1Password needs to be enabled in Safari Preferences > Extensions, as mentioned above. Did that work for you?

• bhweiner
    bhweiner
    Community Member
    Options

the only 1password in the extensions is 4.7.3

• @bhweiner,

1. Uninstall the 4.7.3 extension from Safari
    2. Ensure 1Password is in the root level /Applications folder (~/Applications will not work)
    3. Restart your Mac
    4. Open Safari's Preference window to the extensions tab
    5. Is 1Password listed there?
    6. click the checkbox to turn it on
  • bhweiner
    bhweiner
    Community Member
    Options

it is not there

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bhweiner: Thanks for checking. Please do the following:

1. Remove anything related to 1Password from Safari
    2. Do a Spotlight search for 1Password, and drag any copies of the app to the Trash
    3. Restart your Mac
    4. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    5. Open Safari Preferences > Extensions and enable 1Password

Let me know how it goes.

• bhweiner
    bhweiner
    Community Member
    Options

seems to have fixed. thnx

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bhweiner - great! On behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome; glad he was able to help. :)

• AndyJG
    AndyJG
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem and have done all the above but the extension still won't work. I'm on a trial licence however but can't see anything to say that this is restricted in this way so guess it's not that. When I click the extension icon in Safari it opens a new tab saying it is looking for the app and then a pop up box appears asking me to allow access to the app. When I do so I get a message telling me the app needs to be installed to use the extension but the app is installed and actually logged in and running.
    Any ideas please?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AndyJG: Trial licenses do not exist, so I'm not sure we're on the same page there. Unfortunately without any details about your setup or what you're doing, we're going to just be grasping at straws here, and you'll just have to hope that we guess right or things will never work for you. As an alternative to that, if you'll tell me the actual OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect, I suspect we can do much better. ;)

Find your version

Thanks in advance! :)

• AndyJG
    AndyJG
    Community Member
    Options

I resolved this by uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest beta instead, which seems to work fine. Still don’t know why it didn’t work on the latest standard release version but doesn’t matter now.
    By trial licence I meant the 30 day trial.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Without any information, we may never know. But I'm glad to hear that you got things sorted out.

• bhweiner
    bhweiner
    Community Member
    Options

now after update to 7.2.2, the extension option doesn't appear anymore in Safari

• Hi there @bhweiner. I’m sorry for the trouble. We’ve recently updated our diagnostic tool to help us figure out cases like this. Could you send a diagnostic report (https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/) to support+roo@1password.com so I can check it out?

• bhweiner
    bhweiner
    Community Member
    Options

thanks. since I don't use Mail, it won't create the email. where do I find the report itself to email to you?

• You can click on the report’s icon to show it in the Finder. Just send over the zipped one.

• bhweiner
    bhweiner
    Community Member
    Options

got it, thnx

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bhweiner - :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.