Safari Extension 7.2.3 beta 4 for Safari can't find 1Password

edited December 2018 in Mac Beta


After installing the 1Password-Extension for Safari, I can't configure it to work with 1 Password. The furthest I got was the page "Looking for 1Password", usually I dont even get that far (1Password just doesn't do anything).

Things I tried:

  • Update 1Password and macOS
  • list localhost in my proxy settings
  • disable LittleSnitch (Firewall)
  • disable system Firewall
  • uninstall and reinstall extension
  • restart Safari
  • reboot system
  • run all options in the 1Password troubleshooting app
  • clear caches
  • create a diagnostic report and sent it to the guys at AgileBits (support ID [#YWU-87316-412])

Nothing helped, I don't know what else to try. Any ideas?
Thanks, Julius

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.3.BETA-4 (70203004) AgileB
Extension Version: 7.2.3 beta 4
OS Version: macOS 10.14.1 (18B75)
Sync Type: Not Provided


  • AGKyleAGKyle AgileSupport 1Password Alumni

    Hi @JuliusH

    With the latest versions of 1Password 7 you don't need to install the extension. The extension is included in the 1Password app.

    If you open Safari, goto Preferences, then Extensions. You'll probably see the 1Password extension listed twice. Click each one and look at the version number, the one that says it's version 4 will also have an uninstall button. Please click that uninstall button and make sure the other one (it'll be numbered 7.2.3.BETA-3 or BETA-4 if you've installed that version) has the checkbox on the left of the name in the left hand side bar is checked. This should make the icon appear in the Safari toolbar and it should work as you expect.

    Once you've done that, no need to install the Safari extension ever again, it's simply included in the 1Password app and you'll get updates to the extension whenever the app is updated.

    Let me know if that helps or if you have any other questions.

  • JuliusHJuliusH
    edited December 2018


    Thanks for your reply. I did in fact have two different Extensions listed in Safari. I uninstalled the older one, so only version 7.2.3 beta is left.
    Unfortunately 1Password still doesnt work in Safari. Neither by keyboard shortcut nor via the context menu...

  • AGKyleAGKyle AgileSupport 1Password Alumni


    That could be a couple of things.

    1. Try restarting Safari and 1Password completely. To quit 1Password completely hold the Option key while clicking the icon in the menu bar. You should see a "Quit 1Password Completely" option there. Then make sure Safari is quit. Once both are quit, start 1Password 7 again, then start Safari and try again
    2. Make sure you don't have an extra copy of 1Password 7 laying around. If you do, drag it to the Trash can.
    3. If that all fails, a restart of your computer will likely fix it up.

    Sorry about the trouble though, let me know if you encounter any trouble after trying those.

  • "You should see a "Quit 1Password Completely" option there."
    Actually, I don't (Screenshot was taken while holding the option key). Is it possible that the "completely" didn‘t get translated into German?

    Shouldn't actually everything that you list under step 1 also happen if I restart my whole computer, which I did?

  • AGKyleAGKyle AgileSupport 1Password Alumni

    Yes, if you restarted your computer then all of those should've been done as part of that.

    The Quit Completely in the menu in your screenshot is found by holding Control+Option. The Option click part is for the mini icon in the right side of the menu bar.

    Could you send in a diagnostics report? You can do that using these steps:

    Make sure you include a link to this discussion for context reasons.

    When you email the report in, you should get an autoresponder email with a ticket ID in it. If you respond back here with the ticket ID it'll let me find it easily and I'll take a look.

  • I already sent in a diagnostic report (see first post)
    support ID [#YWU-87316-412]

  • AGKyleAGKyle AgileSupport 1Password Alumni

    For those who may run into this in a search, we found that Julius got it working by switching back to the stable build and back to the beta that was being used. This probably did some sort of kickstart on some system process to get it working. Certainly something to try if you're having difficulty on the beta, but do get in touch separately so we can investigate.

This discussion has been closed.