1Password 7.3 Beta 2 is now available with Unlock using Secure Desktop feature!

Hey folks,

We got another beta update for you today with a few new awesome features, one of which is Unlock using Secure Desktop! Please give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

Note: You'll have to make sure 1Password is whitelisted in your anti-malware solution to make sure its Secure Desktop implementation doesn't get blocked. Also, for those with tablets without a keyboard, Secure Desktop won't work as virtual keyboard is a separate process that won't run on the secure desktop. We're looking into a workaround for this.

[NEW] Unlock using Secure Desktop is here! Click the Secure Desktop icon to create an isolated desktop where only the 1Password processes will be authorized to run on and you can type in your master password to unlock 1Password. You can also trigger Secure Desktop via Control + Enter in the empty Master Password field to avoid using the mouse. {OPW-2339}
[NEW] 1Password now records the password history for all items, not just Login and Password items. Only the first password field will be used to record the password history for certain templates with multiple password fields. {OPW-2251}
[IMPROVED] Item lists within Watchtower categories are now filtered in real-time when searching. {OPW-3630}
[IMPROVED] 1Password now shows a progress bar when signing into a large 1Password account for the first time. {OPW-3527}
[IMPROVED] The password history for the item is no longer shown in the item editor as they're not changeable. {OPW-3171}
[IMPROVED] Fields with empty values will not be shown in the item viewer. {OPW-3386}
[IMPROVED] 1Password will repair missing shortcuts for the start menu at each update. {OPW-3622}
[IMPROVED] We've added more detailed logs for our installer to log when it fails to update or remove old files. {OPW-3622}
[IMPROVED] 1Password start-menu shortcut will be migrated to the Start Menu > Programs directory for better compatibility with third-party apps like application launchers that uses the Start Menu > Programs directory to find programs. {OPW-3622}
[FIXED] 1Password did not restore to its previous window state after installing an update. {OPW-3588}
[FIXED] 1Password did not remove all registry keys related to 1Password extension during the uninstallation. {OPW-3568}
[FIXED] The new installer incorrectly stopped all 1Password tasks from all user sessions on the computer instead of the current user session only. {OPW-3625}
[FIXED] Notification tray icon should be more reliable now. You may notice a duplicate 1Password entry in the Taskbar settings, this may be cleared up by Windows in time.
[FIXED] Custom template fields were showing its unique IDs instead of its name, this was a regression caused by the localization changes and our custom template feature does not support multiple localizations at the moment. {OPW-3621}

Comments

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,
    Isn't this the Beta 2 of 1P 7.3? :unamused:

But up to this, great new features, which are coming here :+1:

~lumarel

• Hi @lumarel,

Good catch! Yes, it is and I can't believe I didn't look twice. I made the same mistake a bit earlier where we were reviewing and I said 1Password 7.2 Beta 3 and then mix it up with 1Password 7.3 Beta 2.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Numbers are sometimes so confusing :dizzy:
    But nevermind, it's a quick fix and can happen to anyone.

• Yep, thanks for letting me know.

Let us know how you're liking 7.3 beta so far and if you're seeing anything not working well.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

:+1:

Up to now the only thing I could spot out is that the unlock animation has some kind of rubberbanding effect or in other words it just stutters. (In both the full and mini version)
    Because its my workstation I don't really think it's a performance issue (I also tested it on the ultra book which only has the Intel integrated GPU, its the same).
    I know I'm getting really picky up to now, but it's something. :chuffed:

• Hi @lumarel,

At the start or at the end of the animation or randomly?

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

Secure desktop - wonderful!
    But it's irritating that it doesn't use the usual Windows UI for secure desktop. It's a purely 1pw designed UI - for me that looks nice but not trustful. I suppose anyone could claim to be a secure desktop UI. Interestingly I could take a screenshot of 1pw's secure desktop but not when starting the Windows taskmanager vs
    (example taken from https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/72/User_Account_Control.png)

Is that by design or early stage beta?

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

Minor observation: I manually downloaded Beta 3, closed 7.2, installed Beta 3. Then I went to the settings and I was still on the "stable" channel. I think the installer should change this setting to Beta channel.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hi @MikeT,

Not directly at the start, but randomly after the 1st 1/3 until the end

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @sniem,

Thanks for writing in.

You're talking about two separate security features that are not directly related; secure desktop and UAC (User Access Control). UAC is about granting admin-level permissions to the app, secure desktop is about creating an isolated desktop where only the specific list of processes are allowed to run on that desktop, in our case, only 1Password-authorized processes.

In other words, this is not a UAC prompt and we cannot do what UAC does because UAC can run on top of the app without taking you to a different desktop. What we're doing is creating a new desktop, switch you to that desktop, bring up the unlock dialog, and then once you're done, it takes you back to the original desktop.

The design is within the limitations of the Secure Desktop and the UI library, we can't even render tooltip or placeholders, which is why it looks like that instead of the usual 1Password unlock view.

Minor observation: I manually downloaded Beta 3, closed 7.2, installed Beta 3. Then I went to the settings and I was still on the "stable" channel. I think the installer should change this setting to Beta channel.

That's expected for the moment, all builds install with default stable channel and we may not change this as we want people to explicitly change the update channel. If you download a beta build by accident, you will only get the stable updates next.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

Okay, got it, thanks for the clarification.

• No problem! We'll keep pushing to see if we can improve the UI within the limitations of secure desktop.

@lumarel, I'm not seeing that but we'll keep an eye on it.

• AlWAYS LOVE AN UPDATE! And this is why I beta test.

URL Matching Change? Autofill change?

I have two logmein accounts (work and personal) click the link in 1Password (https://secure.logmein.com/central/Central.aspx) would bring me there, redirect, and autofill. It would also match logmein if not exact match in browser plugin mini.

One the mini doesn't show me account choices anymore unless it is an exact match,

the autofill doesn't after the forward to https://accounts.logme.in/login.aspx... weird. Seems to work elsewhere with other accounts but not there. Time for a reboot?

• Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

We haven't made any adjustments in that area for 7.3 updates, matching is the same as in 7.2.

My suggestion is to update the saved URLs for both items to this address: https://accounts.logme.in/login.aspx

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member

Hi, unfortunately had to switch to a stable version 7.2.216 because of the Chrome new signing certificate. Please, can you update the beta version too? I has been so willing to see the Secure Desktop login back in 1Password and I could enjoy it just for few days :-)

• Hi @oksoftware,

We will ship a beta update today, we had to fix the stable update first yesterday late in the Sunday evening and didn't have time to do it for the beta update. We're on it right now.

• We've just shipped 7.3.619 Beta 3 update with the Chrome fixes and more.

Closing this thread as Beta 3 thread can be found here.

This discussion has been closed.