Windows PC locks when clicking 1Password X icon in Chrome

Options

Comments

• Philliesphan
    Philliesphan
    Community Member
    Options

i have same issue using 1password X extension since I moved to Windows 10. I have tried changing settings to turn lockout off or make wait time longer. It seems that if Chrome is closed and reopened it requires password regardless of time that has passed.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Philliesphan! :smile:

Before we dig into this, I'd like to clarify what the actual issue is.
    1. Every time you click on the 1Password X extension, you're signed out of your Windows 10 PC, and have to sign in again
    2. Every time you click on the 1Password X extension after opening Chrome, you have to type in your Master Password

If the answer is 1, I'd like to ask you for more information
    a) Does it happen every time or intermittently?
    b) Does it happen on a different Chrome profile?
    c) Does it happen in a different browser?

However, if the answer is 2, that behavior is expected, as it's designed to protect your data. If we didn't lock 1Password after closing the browser, somebody who gained physical (or remote) access to your computer could see and take all of your private data without even knowing your Master Password. That would kind of defeat the purpose of even having a password manager. :tongue:

If I misunderstood the issue you're seeing in any way, please let me know. :)

• Philliesphan
    Philliesphan
    Community Member
    Options

when i used 1password in windows 7 i could close CHrome and reopen without logging back in. Login only required for when I logged off machine or it went to sleep. Thus I think the answer to you is scenario 2 but it is different behaior from my WIn7 experience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Philliesphan: 1Password X runs entirely in the browser. Like anything else there, when you close the browser, it's removed from memory entirely. So you'll need to unlock it in order to access it when you open it the next time. If you use the 1Password desktop app/extension, it doesn't get killed when you close your browser because it's running at the system level:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

• Philliesphan
    Philliesphan
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I think i need to remove 1password x and just load Windows desktop to get behavior i am used. to. Thank you all

• Hey @Philliesphan

Sounds good. We want you to have the best 1Password experience possible. Your locking experience with 1Password X isn't our end goal — Our developers are investigating ways to have 1Password X leverage the main 1Password application, like the original browser extension does, to provide you with better locking behavior in the future. So hopefully you'll give 1Password X (my favorite extension) another shot someday! ❤️

This discussion has been closed.