Icon tray icon disappears after explorer restart

lumarel
lumarel
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hey,

After upgrading to Win10 1809 I'm getting more explorer/shell crashes and so I've noticed that the tray icon of 1P disappears.
I have checked that its running until this moment, so the background process doesn't crash as well.

Some other applications also have their problems with shell restarts but there are also others which might have fixed this behavior.

To reproduce you just have to open the Task-Manager and click on the restart button of the Windows-Explorer:

The taskbar disappears then for a short moment and after this the 1P icon disappeared.

Thanks, lumarel :chuffed:

1Password Version: 7.3.612
Extension Version: 4.7.3.1
OS Version: Windows 10 1809 17763.194
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @lumarel,

Thanks for reporting this.

Unfortunately, the 1809 update has been a very unstable release from Microsoft as they're adding more regressions/known bugs every week or two to their release notes. If the Explorer/shell is crashing often for you, it generally means the OS is unstable. You should investigate the cause behind the shell crashes (I suggest starting with any customization tool that modifies how Windows operate) and stabilize it.

As for the icon, we don't currently keep track of missing icons nor do we keep track if the explorer has crashed. We tell Windows to add the icon each time 1Password starts. This is a recent change in the 7.3 beta builds because of the new installer that is using a new folder for every 1Password update.

We are trying to find a different solution where we don't need to create a new folder for each update but at the same time don't get trapped by file in use errors caused by anti-malware scanners and/or other security tools. If we can do this, then we can use a persistent location for the icon. If not, we'll have to add a method to monitor the icon every once in a while.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hey @MikeT,

Oh thank you for the suggestion :chuffed:
    But I already know from it directly comes, the service behind the task/activity view is a little bit unstable up to now. In earlier insider builds it was really unstable but nowadays it's good enough to use it also in stable builds without crashing every day or even once in a while. :+1:
    It's definitelly one of the most unstable release builds since the start of windows 10 but I've seen worse insider builds. I'm sure Microsoft will fix that problems in the next month or so.
    But there is also another case where the shell gets restarted. So I know some applications, which trigger it to restart in the installation process.

And also thank you for that info.
    Maybe it would be great for the future to somehow track it. Or maybe there is another solution (like a parameter for the background process) which the other applications are using, because as far as I see they appear right away after the shell restart. I'm not really into these things so I don't really know if there is something like that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't know. I remember the Windows 10 prerelease being really rough -- at least for me! :lol:

But yeah, the insider track is a bit wild at first until they stop adding things and start fixing them. Either way, I bet that Microsoft appreciates you participating in their Windows betas, and I know that we love you for using 1Password beta and providing feedback. Thank you! :chuffed:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

I definitely know what you mean, there is a good reason why I only run these builds in virtual machines :lol:
    Had at least 3 upgrades which broke the whole system ^^

You're welcome :+1: :chuffed:

• Yep, I got 3-4 separate VMs for just testing 1Password on various Windows versions, I love virtual machines.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Perhaps you are talking about something else up there, but 1809 is not beta... the final version was released several weeks ago (after they fixed all the issues that delayed it from the first week in October when it was first released....).

This is the current version of Windows 10, not an Insider release. Just wanted to be sure we were all on the same page.... 1809 may still have issues, but people are getting it right now if they click on Windows Update. :chuffed:

• Hi @leesweet,

It's not globally deployed, Microsoft is rolling it out slowly in stages and there are several blockers for specific hardware/software combinations.

For people on Insider Slow Ring or Preview Release, they're getting 1809 first before the rest of the world.

Last time I saw a mention, 1809 is only installed on less than 5% of the Windows 10 install base.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Sorry, that’s not so. There are blockers for some hardware/software, sure, for the issues that remain. But it’s in general release and is in no way an Insider Release. I have a completely generic PC and got 1809 last week by only clicking on WU. If you don’t want to get it, you need to block it yourself.

I also have a VM running the current Insider release and that’s way ahead of 1809, as I’m sure you also are using somewhere. :chuffed:

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/

As with prior Windows 10 feature rollouts, our goal is to deliver the October 2018 Update in a phased and controlled rollout to provide a great update experience for all. We are beginning the global rollout out via Windows Update in the coming weeks. As with previous rollouts, we will use real-time feedback and telemetry to update your device when data shows your device is ready and will have a great experience. You don’t have to do anything to get the update; it will roll out automatically to you through Windows Update.

Half of our machines didn't get the update.

Microsoft has always done this; it often takes several months before majority of people have the latest update. It is not new.

But it’s in general release and is in no way an Insider Release.

I didn't meant it is an Inside release only. What I am saying it is not rolling out to everyone right now, it's in a staggered rollout but for everyone that's on the Insider releases, they're getting it right now, they're not in a staggered rollout.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

To add some detail,
    you get it earlier than others if you click on the "Check for Updates" button (there is also a controversial discussion about what updates you get by pressing this button..) , and right away by downloading the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant.
    Beside all the Insider Builds which rollout like: Skip Ahead -> Fast Ring -> Slow Ring -> Insider Preview.

Yes of course something like these essential bugs really shouldn't happen in release builds, but as I learned from Microsoft, they are also sometimes just a bunch of geeks who try their best to not have any bugs..
    So there is only the hope that there is a quick bugfix in the next update.

And to conclude, yes it's in the final rollout right now, but with numerous blockers by hardware or software

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's been my experience with previous Windows 10 releases, but I'm not even getting it on Microsoft hardware here. And I'm not complaining. We're in uncharted territory. Happy to wait until they're confident enough to give it to everyone. ;)

• By the way, I’m not trying to pile on this subject but I just saw that Microsoft updated their rollout stage note on their release note page:

Rollout Status as of December 17, 2018: Windows 10, version 1809, is now fully available for advanced users who manually select “Check for updates” via Windows Update.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Oh. Uh. Great, now everybody who clicks on this button is an experienced user :lol:
    At least they did this so nobody just gets this update ^^

• Yep, hopefully, they got enough fixes out to make it at least but hopefully stable.

This discussion has been closed.