Chrome Extension No Longer Works After Update

amyomiller
amyomiller
Community Member

After the last 4-5 updates, my Chrome extension stops working - even when the browser is updated. I have to restart the computer every time to get it working again. The newest update was
1Password 7
Version 7.2.3.BETA-7 (70203007)
AgileBits Beta

My Chrome Extension is:
Version

1Password Version: Version 7.2.3.BETA-7 (70203007)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS Mojave 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @amyomiller

When it breaks can you send us a diagnostics report? Instructions are below. Once you've sent that report please monitor your email for an auto-responder email, it'll have a ticket ID in it, please report back that ticket ID here so we can easily find your email and someone will look into it.

Instructions below:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Thanks!

• amyomiller
    amyomiller
    Community Member

Thanks, Kyle! Here is the support ticket #RIW-67692-921

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @amyomiller

Thanks, I found it and will respond to you via email instead of here so be on the lookout for a reply that way instead of here.

• Hi there @amyomiller . We believe we have fixed this in the beta we just published, give it a go and let us know if you have any more trouble with updates after this one.

• amyomiller
    amyomiller
    Community Member

Hi. 1password just updated and this is the error I received this time.!

"Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application."

• frnkr
    frnkr
    Community Member

Hi, I had the same problem: 1P asked me to install Chrome extension. After installing the latest update and reopening the browser 1P extension now works partly: it opens via 1P icon and ⌥ + ⌘ + * but not with ⌘ + * :/

Thanks anyways for partly solution! 👍

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.3.BETA-8 (70203008)

• frnkr
    frnkr
    Community Member

Ok, ⌘ + * seems to also work in most sites but it does not always open the extension if the login screen is not open i.e. I cannot open extension here or LinkedIn when I'm already logged in. Don't know if that is an intended behaviour as it's not coherent but at least it works now :smile:

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@frnkr

Your shortcuts are a bit different than mine, but here's what I believe is happening

There are two shortcuts:

Typically CMD+\ will fill while on the page, if no login is found that is a close match it'll open the extension window for you to choose. If only one match is found it'll simply fill into the page

Then there's CMD+Option+\ which simply opens the extension window and forces you to choose something from the list.

If you are already signed in, you shouldn't expect CMD+\ (or your equivalent) to open the extension. It's purpose is to fill and not present the extension window unless it's necessary. If you don't want to fill unless specified by you, CMD+Option+\ is your shortcut. It will always show the extension and then fill into the page if you choose something.

Does that make sense? Basically, I believe you are using the shortcut to fill when there's nothing to fill into, which results in nothing appearing to happen on screen. This would be expected behavior unless you're on the sign in page, at which point you'd see it fill into the fields.

• amyomiller
    amyomiller
    Community Member

No. I received ANOTHER update today and once again, the browser extension doesn't work AND I received the error message from the 1Password Updater: "Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application." I don't know what is happening, but I'm getting update messages daily now and I don't want to click on any of them because every time I do, my browser extension stops working and now I'm getting this error message.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@amyomiller

Typically that error only appears if you try to launch the updater manually, which won't work. You have to let the app itself launch the updater. We've noticed in Mojave that somehow users are getting the Updater put in the dock under the "recently run" area and then they click on that. If you do that it'll fail to work properly. Instead make sure you're clicking the notification that appears to perform the update.

• frnkr
    frnkr
    Community Member

@AGKyle

I guess our shortcuts are different as my keyboard is Scandinavian :smile: and yes it makes sense. Just the notion that even when I’m logged in the extension sometimes (more often than not I would say) opens with CMD + *

Also, I think it’s impossible to fully control extensions behavior as there’s so many different sites so wouldn’t worry too much abt this :smile:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That makes sense. But if you do encounter a filling issue with a site that's important to you, don't be afraid to let us know the details. We're always working to make 1Password smarter for you and everyone else. Cheers! :)

• amyomiller
    amyomiller
    Community Member

I don't have the updater in my dock. I remove it and the updates are happening automatically. I only receive a notification that the update is happening and when the update completes, I get an error message and then the extension no longer works. I'm experiencing a filling issue with every login site.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

@amyomiller

Could you recreate the issue while using the latest version of 1Password then send a fresh diagnostics report? Please just generate the report, when it completes drag the blue icon in the window to a reply email to our existing discussion. It'll notify me when it's received on our end and I'll take a look.

ref: RIW-67692-921

• signe
    signe
    Community Member

I've been seeing this consistently for a good while, now (at least the beginning of 7.2.4). I don't see an error message, but I do get the "Install the 1Password extension..." message when using the shortcuts, until I close and restart the browser (both Firefox and Chrome), even with today's 7.2.5.BETA-0 build.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@signe: Which versions of macOS, Firefox, and Chrome are you using, and are both browsers and 1Password installed in the system /Applications folder?

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member

Piling on: last two beta updates have borked the Firefox extension. Have to restart the browser or re-install the extension.

macOS 10.14.3 beta (18D32a), Firefox 65.0b7, 1P 1Password 7.2.5.BETA-0 (70205000), 1P extension 4.7.3.90.

Feel badly for you folks, but this is either a naggy, hard-to-fix bug or undetected regression. It comes as goes like the snow in winter with every beta release.

• @testastretta,

We'll take a look, though its going to very likely keep happening until the update after we find the cause.

• hubbend
    hubbend
    Community Member

Well, if we are piling on :) I have also seen this behavior on a number of the beta releases in the past. Sometimes restarting the browser works, sometimes it does not like right now. Running 10.14.3 Beta (18D32a) and 1Password Version 7.2.5.BETA-0 (70205000).

For Chrome (73.0.3642.0) and Firefox (64.0), the shortcut key combo will pop the 1P mini window telling me to install the browser extension. If I click on the 1P icon on the toolbars, all I get is a "flash" of the browser window. I also get the same behavior on Brave (0.25.304).

For Safari (12.0.3 (14606.4.3)), the shortcut combo doesn't pop the window and using the menu icon the browser window "flashes."

All browsers and 1P are located in my /Applications folder.

@brenty let me know if you need some more data/logs.

• @hubbend,

do you see any 1PasswordNativeMessageHost processes in Activity Monitor?

• hubbend
    hubbend
    Community Member

@rudy yes I do:

67162 66758 66758 0 1 S ?? 0:00.90 /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Extension Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordNativeMessageHost chrome-extension://aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk/

• @hubbend,

If its currently exhibiting the problem can you send in a diagnostics report? https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

• hubbend
    hubbend
    Community Member

@rudy,

I just sent the diagnostic bundle.

• @hubbend,

Unfortunately it looks like someone removed the actual error codes for the connect error logging in a recent build. could you get the /var/log/system.log that got archived for yesterday?

• hubbend
    hubbend
    Community Member

@rudy, system logs sent to the support email address.

• @hubbend,

Thanks for sending those in, unfortunately it looks like Apple isn't logging the particular errors i'm interested in to the system.log. Could you open up Console.app and see if it'll let you scroll back to 12:10pm on 1/3? That's when it looks like you probably updated and the log spew of failed reconnects happened.

• hubbend
    hubbend
    Community Member

@rudy I can see the system log entries for 12:10pm on 1/3. They were in the system.log.0.gz file that I sent.

Am I missing what you are asking for?

• hubbend
    hubbend
    Community Member

In looking after the updater ran, 1PasswordNativeMessageHost starts throwing a lot of messages like this:

Jan 3 12:58:42 myhost 1PasswordNativeMessageHost[45341]: objc[45341]: Class _TtCs22_SwiftRawStringStorage is implemented in both /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Extension Helper.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftCore.dylib (0x10a0792f8) and /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Extension Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordNativeMessageHost (0x109109d10). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

for a whole lot of classes.

• @hubbend,

Yeah, the ones that were logged at 12:10 weren't the droids I was looking for. Apple logs additional information about failed XPC connections, but apparently only if Console.app is open when such a failure occurs.

The duplicate classes are a problem but not the problem we're looking for either

• hubbend
    hubbend
    Community Member

@rudy,

I killed off the 1P process - /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password and opened up the app again and now things are working again.

This discussion has been closed.