1Password 7.3 Beta 3 is out with Chrome compatibility fixes and a WIP item viewer refresh

Hi guys,

For this Beta 3 update, we are including a work-in-progress refreshed item viewer but also the compatibility fixes for Chrome 71/72 Beta updates.

We will continue to polish the item viewer in the next few updates and the item editor will be refreshed after that.

[IMPROVED] Compatibility update for Chrome 72 Beta and future Chrome stable updates. {OPW-3645, OPW-3650}
[IMPROVED] Item viewer has been refreshed with a modern design. {OPW-2629}
[IMPROVED] Click any field to copy it or the field's contextual default option such as Open for the URL field. Right-click any field for additional contextual options such as reveal, large type, and more coming soon. {OPW-1452}
[IMPROVED] Field buttons have been redesigned. {OPW-3606}
[IMPROVED] Watchtower banners are now collapsible. {OPW-3627}
[IMPROVED] Item titles can be clicked to copy it.
[IMPROVED] Item title will minimize to the top as it is scrolled out of view.
[IMPROVED] Certain parts of the URLs are now highlighted differently to make it easier to read.
[IMPROVED] Passwords are also easier to read; it is now colorized to tell number and symbols apart but also using our custom Courier Prime Bits font. {OPW-1585, OPW-2368}
[IMPROVED] The remaining time animation has been redesigned for the One-Time Password field. {OPW-2487}
[IMPROVED] Tabs are now inserted in the note fields. Use Control + Tab or Control + Shift + Tab to shift focus to the next field or vis versa. {OPW-2480}
[FIXED] Item icon would get clipped when resizing. {OPW-2274}
[FIXED] 1Password would crash if you create a new vault and saved it to a directory where an existing vault with the same name exists. {OPW-3649}

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

We do know there are some misalignments, size mishaps and so on, we just wanted to ship this a bit earlier to support Chrome for our beta testers.

Expect a new beta update fairly soon with more viewer improvements.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hi,
    thank you to all of you for beeing so industrious just before Xmas!
    To reasons of clarity I liked the design of the old item viewer better (without the new boxes for the username/password and the 'show webform details' ).
    I wondered why the 'Show web form details' box disapeares in the edit mode. To me it would make more sense just the other way round: To show it only in the edit mode and not in the 'viewer' mode, where you can't edit it anyway.

• @palmino we are updating item viewer, item editor will be next once we polish all the small details in the viewer. Web Form Details button is still in editor, but it's really hard to notice.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Ah great, that looks so much better :+1:

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

"[IMPROVED] Click any field to copy it or the field's contextual default option such as Open for the URL field. Right-click any field for additional contextual options such as reveal, large type, and more coming soon. {OPW-1452}"

Sorry, no, having to have to click twice instead of once to reveal is not an improvement over 7.2 but the contrary.

• Hi @palmino,

There are some design elements shared between item viewer and editor, so the changes we make to the viewer can impact the editor as well. We're currently focused on polishing the item viewer before we shift the focus on the editor.

To reasons of clarity I liked the design of the old item viewer better (without the new boxes for the username/password and the 'show webform details' ).

When you say the "new boxes" for the username/password, do you mean the highlighted area with white background? This is a new design element that we're evolving with 1Password across the platforms, for an example, this is the current look of 1Password 7 for macOS:

To me it would make more sense just the other way round: To show it only in the edit mode and not in the 'viewer' mode, where you can't edit it anyway.

Except you still want to know what email address you may have used on the website that you didn't add manually. The web form details captures all the fields you filled out on the registration form for an example, so we won't hide this but we'll keep polishing this. We're not any near done, the next beta already have several changes and more planned.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hi @MikeT
    thanks for your prompt reply.

When you say the "new boxes" for the username/password, do you mean the highlighted area with white background?

Yes, exactly. Although I have to admit, the macOS version looks better than the current Windows Beta, I still prefer the more slimmed-down and tidier look of its predecessors. Coming from the 1PW 4 for Windows, to me 1PW 7 was a huge step forward in regard of clarity and user friendliness. But that, of course, is a matter of taste, too.
    Until now, I never wanted and needed to know (may be I should?) the details of forms and I would be totally happy if they were 'banned' to the item editor. I wonder if other users look into them on a regular basis.

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @palmino,

Although I have to admit, the macOS version looks better in than in the current Windows Beta, I still prefer the more slimmed-down and tidier look of its predecessors.

We're still polishing it; sizing, padding and alignments are often the last to fix and since they're not done, they would lead to the "messy" look.

Until now, I never wanted and needed to know (may be I should?) the details of forms and I would be totally happy if the were 'banned' to the item editor. I wonder if other users look into them on a regular basis.

That isn't happening, as per our policy, we do not hide user's data, we only hide whatever's not there.

I've used the web form details last week to find out what email address I used to register the account with as I have a unique email address for each site, so 1Password extension saves that information in the web form details while using the unique username in the main login field.

For most users, they don't need to look at it if they have a simpler setup, which is why they're hidden behind a button. Hiding it behind the editor is not happening either because of the potential of modifying data they didn't mean to when they're just trying to copy data. (Think selecting text and pressing a character by accident, which could save it). We don't have item history built into native apps yet to undo changes.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hi, I think I've found a small bug in Beta 3. If I click on All items, then Trash, the contents of Trash shows correctly. However, if I'm in Favorites, then click Trash, the view doesn't change from Favorites. This only happens to me when there's nothing in Trash. Hopefully, you can reproduce this.

• Hi @pbryanw,

It's a known bug for a while, there's a missing refresh call for both Trash and Favorites. It'll be fixed in 7.4 or later, we're planning to tackle the refresh situation once and for all. 🤞

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

Not sure if it was this release specifically, but I just noticed a couple days ago that starting to type 1password into the Windows 10 search bar no longer shows 1password as an app. Once I fully type 1password, it gives:

So it is registered only as a command, not an app like I'm used to. Might be something on my end, but it was working just fine a few days ago.

• Cryptarcadian
    Cryptarcadian
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hi folks, I love seeing ongoing improvements in the works!

Having said that, I also have to disagree that the latest UI changes are an improvement, where the field actions are hidden behind a drop-down that's only visible on mouse hover. They seem like a step backwards on use, but also for discoverability.

With a mouse, it requires multiple clicks to access what previously only required one click (for reveal/large type). Not only is that a little extra effort, this is exacerbated by the fact that the drop-down isn't visible initially, so you can't aim for the right spot with your cursor to begin with.

With touch, it's unfortunately even worse. It's not possible to even get to the drop-down options (since there's no hovering) without tapping on the field and being forced to trigger the default action (i.e. overriding clipboard even when that's not what you wanted). The small drop-down arrow then is a tiny touch target to accurately hit without accidentally tapping the default action next to it.

I understand the desire to make the UI consistent with what's on macOS, but please keep in mind that touchscreens are very common for Windows users! :)

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,
    thanks for explaining. I get your point. I think we‘re in the same boat, that we don‘t want to withheld any data from the users.

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi guys,

@burn123,

but I just noticed a couple days ago that starting to type 1password into the Windows 10 search bar no longer shows 1password as an app

It's not you, it's Windows not liking our installation procedure of using a new folder for each update to work around file in use errors. It does work great to prevent these errors but Windows doesn't like different locations for the same app.

We'll be making a few more changes in the next update to try to provide a fixed location, so shortcuts and notification tray icons wouldn't be affected.

@Cryptarcadian, thanks for the feedback.

Having said that, I also have to disagree that the latest UI changes are an improvement, where the field actions are hidden behind a drop-down that's only visible on mouse hover. They seem like a step backwards on use, but also for discoverability.

I think this is due to being used to the previous design. With the new design, there are two separate things you can do without even waiting for hover; click to copy (or default option, such as go and fill on URL) and right-click for other options such as reveal, large type, and more coming soon in a dropdown with actual words. The down arrow doesn't have to be used nor the hover, it's just information indicator rather than the only way to do things.

We had other issues with the previous design, a lot of people didn't understand the icons. So, we want to give this a try since it hasn't caused any confusion on the macOS nor on the website but this surely isn't the final design, we may change based on feedback so far, we've received many good feedback on this already. The single-click to copy is already a great improvement.

With touch, it's unfortunately even worse. It's not possible to even get to the drop-down options (since there's no hovering) without tapping on the field and being forced to trigger the default action (i.e. overriding clipboard even when that's not what you wanted).

Long tap on it like you right-clicking it. This actually made it more reliable than the three small icons that you never knew what you hit. So far, this design makes it easier to know what you're selecting because of the dropdown.

but please keep in mind that touchscreens are very common for Windows users! :)

We always do but we're limited to what Microsoft provides for WPF framework, which is not touch optimized. They've mainly optimized the Universal Windows app (Windows 10 / Microsoft Store apps) framework for better touch gestures but it makes it different to optimize regular desktop apps for touch. We still have to support Windows 7 and above.

However, I do think that switching to right-click/long tap will serve to be a better implementation in the long run, especially since we're going to be adding more options very soon, we do not want to use 4/5 icons on the same row that's easier to mis-hit and hard to see.

• Closing this as we've shipped 1Password 7.3 Beta 4 here.

This discussion has been closed.