1Password shortcuts no longer work due to path changes

mia
mia
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Running v7. Standalone. Licensed. A recent small change in 1PW has destroyed my workflow with 1Password. I am not one to cry wolf, but this is really aggravating.

Previously, I would run 1Password using the shortcut through Listary and it would launch the main window.
C:\Users\Mia\AppData\Local\1password\app\7\1Password.exe

As of one of the most recent file versions, there is a version attached to folder. Why in god's name WHY would you guys do this?? It just doesn't make any sense. Yes, I understand that there is a startup entry added here.... HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

... but I used a special shortcut CTRL + ALT + 1 to launch the main 1Password app to do stuff faster than I can do stuff in 1PW Mini.

Can we escalate this somehow up the chain? This is a change that adds more and more complexity to the user's workflow. I have to create a new shortcut everytime 1PW is updated which is an unacceptable compromise.

Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited December 2018

@mia I can't answer better than Mike did here. Can you use start 1password.exe or 1password.exe in Listary? Setup makes sure that 1Password.exe is a known application to Windows, no need for direct path.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

Didn't work. I think I already deleted the 1Password shortcut in the start menu. What I am going to try and do is create a shortcut that links to that one somehow and put assign keyboard shortcut to that one. I don't know how I am going to do that though... probable via BAT script

• Hi @mia,

I've moved your thread to our Windows Beta forum since you're using a beta build of 1Password 7.3.

I have found a way to make it work with Listery, please try this:

Also, I think I know why 1Password is not showing up by default. Can you tell me if you open all Apps list in start menu, did 1Password show up at all?

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

No I deleted 1PW from Start menu just like I do with all the other apps. looks like I have to leave the shortcut there for now.. :-\

• Hi @mia,

That explains why 1Password didn't show up by default, Listery depends on the shortcuts as well.

I'm curious, why do you do that? I understand for the user's start menu but the All Apps list is hidden by default, usually.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

I have spent nearly 15 years creating the most bulletproof organization system that I know of. In my systems I create a partition c: for system software and D: for All of my applications and data. I will see a great majority roughly 95+ of my software is portable or has been converted into a portable format. Whenever I install windows 10, I tune it to my specific specifications and then I take it back up image of that so if the need arises I can restore a back up image quickly.

One of the folders that I have on the D Drive is called Shortcuts. This folder contains short cuts from all over D applications folder. That one folder has all of my Shortcuts. I use listary to index that folder and this allows me to launch any of these applications rapidly. It’s similar in concept to apples spotlight. I want one central interface/location to interact with to launch my Shortcuts. I can even sync these short cuts using dropbox if I wanted to That’s why I wanted 1PW inside there so I can launch it from the listary directly

• Hi @mia,

The problem is that we're going to reinstall the start menu shortcut to point to the new directory at each update.

We're currently investigating different way to install 1Password to bypass the need to update shortcuts and/or the directory changes before we think about shipping a stable 7.3 update.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

@MikeT @SergeyTheAgile

Here's another case of productivity blip when updating 1Password - my firewall Windows 10 Firewall (best software firewall for windows, hands down!) triggers an alert because it doesn't recognize the folder it had previously saved the file from :(

Every update i'll have to re-approve the app for net connection since it checks for updates :(

• @mia that's an unfortunate effect. We are thinking of something that might help, please bear with us <3

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Just saw this thread: Anyone using Windows Firewall Control with Green/'Medium' filtering (as recommended) will have this issue, also, as any new outbound connection needs to be approved. I didn't have this issue with the Beta 3 install, as I inadvertently left it on Yellow/Low filtering which doesn't require approval for new connections. Not recommended, or what's the point.

Yeah, we do need a fix for this or installations will fail until we approve it and somehow re-run the install (if we aren't sitting there when it gets the new software). That is probably what happened to my Beta 2 install, and why it didn't have the Update channel set, etc. For now I've set 1P Updates to Manual so I can override the firewall and approve the dialog when I see it for the new connection(s) (when I run the update process myself).

cc: @MikeT

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @leesweet,

I use it as well and it is set at medium without any issues. I had the prompt to authorize it, I did and it works fine.

There's a reason we always ask about firewall, this is not limited to 1Password 7.3, we had that since the beginning of 1Password on Windows.

The firewall should be able to adapt to the path changes but if not, then you should be notified at each update.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

How are you notified if you aren’t sitting in front of your PC when the update comes along? Confused totally. The WFC prompt is only up for x seconds and if you don’t approve then it doesn’t open that new connection and the software will fail unless it has specific instructions to wait and retry and very few do.

I assume that’s what happened to my Beta 2 and why it messed up. 3 was open so it worked better. Have you tried it when not sitting in front of your PC to approved a new path/connection or deliberately ignoring the prompt? I can’t see how this works unless you manually approve it using ‘Medium’ with WFC.

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @leesweet,

Well, I never leave my computer unlocked, so it always update when I'm using the computer and get that prompt from WFC.

I'll test it with your scenario but there's nothing we can do about that. We leave the icon on the titlebar whenever it cannot connect to the Internet to warn you of potential issues.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

And that’s why I’ll try it with manual updating and see what happens. That will rule that out (or not).

But in the real world, I bet we’ll need to have this ‘new path each time’ fixed. It does break things, I bet, just because many items depend on a program not moving once installed.

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @leesweet,

At least, it only breaks shortcuts, which we can try to work around but it is still much better than broken installs requiring a full reinstall that we saw too often with our previous third-party installer.

We're working on something else for the new installer to try to get the persistent location to work. If it works, it should address these shortcut and notification icon issues. We haven't added any workarounds for them yet because we want to try this approach first.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Yeah, I do understand the rationale for the programming. Just saying it will be a support nightmare if it ends up going out that way. :chuffed:

Looking forward to Beta 4 which I’ll update manually to see what happens between the firewall and 1809 and all these fun combinations!

(At least there’s only one real ‘branch’ of Windows and not like Office where there’s MSI and C2R....)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, I do understand the rationale for the programming. Just saying it will be a support nightmare if it ends up going out that way. :chuffed: Looking forward to Beta 4 which I’ll update manually to see what happens between the firewall and 1809 and all these fun combinations!

It's not a perfect world, so there's no perfect solution. But we'll keep at it to come up with something that works. Looking forward to your feedback on future updates! :)

(At least there’s only one real ‘branch’ of Windows and not like Office where there’s MSI and C2R....)

Well... :lol:

• cromm
    cromm
    Community Member

Can you at least recreate the new shortcut in the Start Menu. The most recent beta just nuked the old one and didn't create a new one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cromm: We haven't changed this in the latest beta. Did you experience something different with earlier betas? As mentioned above, we're looking into different options to make it smoother, and we have more beta releases ahead of us so let us know.

However, you mentioned that you "can't pin it to the start menu". Can you elaborate? I'm unable to not be able to pin apps to the Start Menu here. Are you getting some sort of error?

• cromm
    cromm
    Community Member

All previous updates either left my existing shortcut alone or deleted and recreated it on the Start menu. This time the icon just went to the nothing icon when the shortcut can't find the target. Told me the target didn't exist and do I want to remove it.

When I checked the start menu there was no entry for 1Password 7. Had to manually create a shortcut on the desktop and then I could pin that to the Start Menu.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In the betas. All previous non-7.3-betas did not change the install location. It's something new we've been trying specifically in the 7.3 betas to try to avoid installation issues due to other software locking existing files.

If you open the Start Menu and type "1password", Windows will find it in its installed apps, and you can right-click on it there to pin it.

• Hi guys,

@cromm,

Can you at least recreate the new shortcut in the Start Menu. The most recent beta just nuked the old one and didn't create a new one.

We did, we have a few workarounds but the more we do this, the more Windows continue to fight back. We're using the standard APIs but we had 2 customers already saying that the shortcut came back out of nowhere (without any actions on our part). There appears to be some kind of cache in place.

We're working right now on changing our installer to use a fixed location but it is going to take some time, we won't be shipping 7.3 stable like this.

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

I hope that once you finish with this shortcuts changes, it will also stop unpinning it from start screen on every update, because now it's supper annoying.

• Hi @revanmj,

We're not trying to remove it, it is supposed to update it to the new location but yes, after we're done, there is no need to update the pinned files.

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi guys,

We've just shipped 7.3 Beta 4 update to continue using the same app directory instead of a new build-specific folder for each app update. This should help address the shortcut issues.

You can check for an update by opening the 1Password menu in the main 1Password window.

• cromm
    cromm
    Community Member

Thanks that worked.

Shortcut on Start Menu is pointing to AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and the actual shortcut is aiming at \AppData\Local\1password\app\7\1Password.exe

Appreciate the quick fix to this

• That’s great to hear, thanks for testing it!

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

Thank you for reverting the stupid build folder change. Things are back to normal now here :)

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @mia,

I've replied to your post but I'll repeat it here;

We didn't actually revert it but improved the approach to rename it to the previous locations, so we ended up with the best of both worlds; installing new updates to versioned folder and then do a complex process of rename multiple folders. Hopefully, this works.

It wasn't a "stupid" change, the change actually did in fact resolved several issues, which is to avoid corrupted installs because of anti-malware solutions.

The change was not because of the third party launcher issues but to work around Windows' inability to track updated locations in shortcuts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Exactly what betas are for. Everyone wins. :)

This discussion has been closed.