1Password No Longer Filling Credentials in Brave Browser Starting Today

Hello,

Starting just this morning, the 1Password extension (version 4.7.2.90) for the Brave browser (on Mac) no longer opens sites or fills credentials. You have to manually copy and paste the URL, then the user and then the pass for each. The 1Password application (on Mac) still does open sites and fill credentials into my default Brave browser as expected. Also, the 1Password extension seems to be working just fine in Chrome. The issue seems to be limited to the Brave browser.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RYKSebastino,

Please delete your copy of Brave and download a fresh copy. I had a copy of Brave, version 0.25.2 that was claiming it was up-to-date and it was laughably not, a fresh download reports version 0.57.18. The old version still used the select few extensions curated by Brave where our companion extension is stuck at version 4.7.2. That version won't work with 1Password 7.2.4 for Mac as the update does assume version 4.7.3 (which we released August 24 of this year). The new copy of Brave I downloaded sent me to the Chrome store where I could download the current 1Password extension.

If you're still having trouble let us know but given my own experiences this sounds like it will apply for you as well.

• RYKSebastino
    RYKSebastino
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

You fixed me! I followed your instructions to the letter and you were right, my version of Brave was probably only about 25 versions behind and was far more limited than I knew! Thanks so very much.

Have a great weekend!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @RYKSebastino! I'm so glad to hear that. On behalf of @littlebobbytables, you're very welcome. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In case it helps anyone else, the version number is a bit confusing since Brave made a big switch to the Chromium codebase a couple months ago:

https://brave.com/new-brave-browser-release-available-for-general-download/

So there was no way to automatically update to what is effectively a brand new app, and the version scheme is a bit different now. Anyway, I'm liking the changes. Cheers! :)

• marty_b
    marty_b
    Community Member

This didn't work at all for me. I did it twice. Now my 1password extension does nothing. Clicking on "1password desktop app required" (which I have, installed, and works fine) just opens 1Password.com.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@marty_b: What didn't work?

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• droningon
    droningon
    Community Member

Following on from Marty B. I have the same issue in the current version of the new Brave browser - Version 0.58.16 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit). I have 1password desktop app version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store installed. When Marty B says "this didn't work for me" he means that after installing the 1Password Chrome extension into Brave, the 1Password icon appears on the browser bar. Assuming you have the 1Password desktop app already installed, what's expected to happen is that when you click the icon, it will auto-fill the username and password of the site in the current tab you're on. That doesn't happen. Instead you get the menu that Marty B has screengrabbed into his post. This menu is useless because it just sends the user to the 1Password website. No username and password appears. If you click into a username field and right click, you get 1Password appearing in the rightclick contextual menu. but again no username and password appear. So it seems like the extension and the desktop app are not talking to each other

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @droningon,

So your issue is quite different from the one posted by RYKSebastino. Brave changed details relating to the code signature and as a result older versions of 1Password can no longer verify against the hardcoded internal list that Brave is legitimate and hasn't been tampered with. We updated 1Password in version 7.1.2 which was released September 11 this year. As 1Password 6 is no longer under active development this represents the first browser that 1Password 6 has lost compatibility with.

If you have a 1Password account then you can make the move to 1Password 7 as access to the latest versions is part of the ongoing subscription costs. The steps I would recommend are:

1. If 1Password is currently running hold down the alt/option key and click on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the menu option Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Drag the 1Password 6 application bundle to the Trash.
    3. Download and install 1Password 7 from "Downloads - 1Password" page.
    4. Launch and unlock. It should migrate your data from 1Password 6 automatically and simply offer you the standard unlock screen. Worst case scenario you may need to point 1Password 7 to your 1Password account again.
    5. Restart any open browsers so they can pick up on the updated details written to disk by 1Password 7.

If you purchased 1Password in the past via the Mac App Store then you have one of two options if you wish to remain with 1Password, either a new licence for 1Password 7 or to select a different browser, one still supported by 1Password 6. Potential browsers include:

• Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Vivaldi
    • Opera

You'll note I've left Safari off the list. The reason for that is Safari may very well remove support for the older style extensions present in Apple's Safari Extension Gallery in Safari 13 as they move towards the newer Safari App Extension approach. If you wish to remain with 1Password 6 you probably don't want to have to move browsers again if you can help it.

All of this may or may not apply to marty_b, we won't know until we learn more about their setup.

• danielreeders
    danielreeders
    Community Member

Just downloaded Brave, following an article about how great it is in The Verge that explicitly mentions 1Password. And neither the 1Password browser extension or the app itself are able to fill username and password fields in Brave. I'm using the one-time paid version of 1P v6. I don't want to upgrade to v7 because v6 works fine. I understand v6 used to work with Brave. So what's going on?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@danielreeders: Correct. 1Password 6 worked with the versions of Brave (and other browser, and OSes) available at that time. It does not work with the new Brave, which is a completely new browser built from Chromium. The current version of 1Password is updated for changes in browsers and OSes though.

This discussion has been closed.