1Password fails to start after reboot.

This is an issue that has been happening every since I installed 1Password on this particular computer.

Computer in question is Windows 10 (1703), 64-bit Enterprise.

Installing 1Password works fine, until I reboot. Then when I try to launch 1Password after a reboot I receive a popup stating:

This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

Associated event logs look like this:

The program or feature "\??\C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1password\app\7\1Password.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

There are no compatibility settings set for 1Password.exe after an install and enabling after receiving an error doesn't have an effect either.

Re-installing 1Password makes it work again. It only fails like this after a reboot, logging out and logging in it behaves as expected.

1Password Version: 7.2.617
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jeberhard,

Thanks for reporting this.

As far as we know, this isn't a glitch within 1Password but the way the system is locked down by the company's IT department.

Am I correct to presume that based on the fact that it is the enterprise edition, this is a work computer? Do they do anything special after you shut down for the day, do they reset your account or anything like that?

• jeberhard
    jeberhard
    Community Member

Yes, your presumption is correct that this is a work computer. Nothing special happens to the accounts on shut down. GPO would get reapplied on reboot/login, but this happens even when rebooting off network and no connection to AD. I'm in the IT dept and have direct access to the people that prepare the builds, GPO and other policies and they all shrug their shoulders at would could be the problem. This doesn't seem to be something intentional and this is the only 3rd party application that I have run into this problem with. Something must get reset on reboot but we can't figure out what it is.

The other odd thing is that after a reboot the .exe no longer has its lock icon, it's just a blank square icon. Association of some sort missing?

My colleague did figure out a work around to prevent us from having to reinstall but it's not ideal. He copied the app folder (\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\1password\app\7) to his desktop and can run 1Password from there. It even works after a reboot. And if there is an update it updates the original location (not the second "desktop" version) and that is always the original version that seems to actually be running even if he clicks/opens the desktop version.

• Hi @jeberhard,

It sounds like it is resetting specific registry entries for 1Password, that could in theory explain the missing icon and why Windows complaint about 64-bit compatibility, they may be the same glitch.

When you say you try to launch 1Password after a reboot, is that you doing it manually or is that 1Password auto-starting on its own? If the latter, can you try to disable auto-start and launch 1Password manually, does it have the same issue?

Also, would you be willing to test 1Password 7.3 beta builds to see if it is any better? We're using our own installer now and it has some differences with the registry changes, so it may work better.

• jeberhard
    jeberhard
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT. It is definitely a weird issue and it is certainly because of some setting we have, just figured I'd post here in case it had been encountered before.

The pop up error comes when I try an launch 1Password manually. I don't get a pop up with the auto-start but the windows event does get logged. I will turn off auto-start and try it only manually.

I can certainly test the 7.3 beta to see if that achieves any better results.

• Please do give it a try as we'll be releasing it in a few weeks and we may be able to add a few fixes if it doesn't work.

• jeberhard
    jeberhard
    Community Member

Looks like 7.3beta did the trick. Turning off auto-start under 7.2 had no effect but I just installed 7.3beta and I was able to open 1Password after a reboot. I guess those registry changes did the truck. Hooray! Thanks for the help!

• Awesome, thanks for confirming that!

This discussion has been closed.