1Password not working to sign in to American Express, only manually typing works.

When 1Password 6 (from Agile Bits store) for Mac is used to sign-in to American Express account, error message says credentials (user id or password) not recognized. When I manually enter same credentials, it works. This also is case with bank accounts (Regions/Capital One).

I

1Password Version: 6.8.9 (689001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.2 Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password not work to sign in to American Express

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried copy and paste? Or does only actual typing work.

My Amex account details get filled in with no problems, so there must be an issue with your password.

One reason why auto-fill does not work but copy and past does work is that the password chosen is longer than the site allows. Many sites will appear to allow you to enter a password that is too long but will in reality truncate it silently. And then the difference in the filling logic between autofill and copy-and-paste means that one works but not the other.

Of course, this suggestion may be completely on the wrong track in your case.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drjack,

If you find copy and paste also works as well as manually entering the details can you try saving an entirely new Login item using the steps outlined on our support page How to save a Login manually in your browser please. If danco's hunch is correct you will likely find the stored password in the new item is a truncated version of the first. Given danco is reporting he can sign into Amex using 1Password I'm hoping you find the same but if you don't please let us know.

• drjack
    drjack
    Community Member

Hi littlebobbytables
    IT WORKED, THANKS

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @drjack,

I'm happy to learn you now have a working Login item for this site. Was it the password or was it that weirdly the new item worked but the old one just wouldn't play nicely?

If you come across any other odd behaviour do let us know :smile:

• wasnothere
    wasnothere
    Community Member

Just wanted to reply to say that's always been my favorite xkcd :).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Randall Munroe is a genius :lol:

This discussion has been closed.