Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @majortom,

Thanks for reporting this.

This is intentional; the first four categories are the essential categories that will always be visible.

If we start out empty, then nothing will be shown and it'd be a bit confusing, so we don't hide them at all. The other categories are hidden if they're empty as shown here:

• majortom
    majortom
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT

Really? Within the web app and iOS they are not visible. Only in the Windows version.

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Hi @majortom,

I just created a new vault on the web app:

This is a standard spec for us, so all 1Password apps should be following this.

It looks like the iOS app has a bug here; I've filed a bug report with the iOS team to fix it.

ref: apple-2885

• majortom
    majortom
    Community Member

Here is my vault in the web web:

• Yea, that's not supposed to happen. I'll file a bug report with them as well.

• majortom
    majortom
    Community Member

No, no, no :-) That's not a bug. I think it's good that empty categories are hidden.

Why confusing? As soon as the user has created an entry, he sees a category.
    For new users, a 1Password entry will be automatically created. So at least the login category is initially visible.

It is more confusing when users see empty categories.
    Especially categories that are never used / needed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No, it's definitely a bug. When most users -- not people who have been using 1Password for years already -- see no categories, they're not sure what to do. We've been talking to 1Password users every day for over a decade. I've never met one until now that didn't have Credit Cards, Identities, or Secure Notes, unless they just started using it. ;)

• majortom
    majortom
    Community Member

I am a new user and had no problems with hidden/invisible categories.
    On the contrary: I am confused by categories without items

But OK. Let's keep it that way.. You are the experts :)

• When you select the category without items, you get an item list message:

You are one of the few new users (thank you) who wrote in about being confused with categories with no items, we've gotten far more with missing categories. The iOS app didn't appear to get many reports about missing categories because it has a video in the item list added recently to help guide new users but we're not entirely sure how well it was received. If it works, we may add that to our apps instead of non-hidden default categories.

This discussion has been closed.