How do I restore opvault from backup ?

Swivel_Eyes
Swivel_Eyes
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've just gone through the procedure to restore a previous vault.

My current vault has 214 items in it.
What I'm expecting after the restore is to have two vaults. One with 214 items (my current vault) plus the restored version with, in this case, something like 220 items, where I need to recover some data.

However, on completion of the restore, this second vault only shows 76 items !

What do I need to do to see a previous backed up version of my vault in its' entirety ?

1Password Version: 7.3.642
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10, 1809
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

An update on this.

All my legacy v4 backups (dating back to April 2018) won't open at all. I get an "Incorrect Password" error. Don't know why !
    All my legacy v7 backups display the same trait i.e. only showing 76 items as outlined above.

Is this anything to do with syncing ?
    Does the backup vault when first opened, sync automatically and thus shows incomplete data ?
    Shouldn't a restored vault open in a sync disabled state ?

• Hi @Swivel_Eyes,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We're investigating this right now to see what it could be.

Is this anything to do with syncing? Does the backup vault when first opened, sync automatically and thus shows incomplete data ? Shouldn't a restored vault open in a sync disabled state ?

No, 1Password does not do any external syncing, only reads/writes the existing folders you have on the disk. In other words, when you open a restored folder from C:\1Passwordbackup\restored.opvault, it will enable Folder sync between its internal database and that folder. It does not sync or touch any other folders. If you put it in Dropbox folder and not overwrite any other existing folders, Dropbox will sync that folder to other devices but it doesn't overwrite something that wasn't there before.

If however, you restore and overwrite your existing vault folder with the backup in your Dropbox folder, then yes, you can actually corrupt the vault like that, which is why this is never recommended and that you copy/move items between the restored and current vaults, not overwrite them.

All my legacy v4 backups (dating back to April 2018) won't open at all. I get an "Incorrect Password" error. Don't know why !

In 1Password 4 or 1Password 7?

• Hi @Swivel_Eyes,

To save us some time, can you email us your diagnostics report, please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

<< In 1Password 4 or 1Password 7? >>

Just to clarify, my legacy v4 backups from April 2018 that I'm trying to restore now on v7 ….

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

Diagnostics report sent ….

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @Swivel_Eyes,

I tried a few backups and it restored fine for me but there was one backup that was created in my 7.3 tests that didn't work, it has stopped processing when it hit that specific item and didn't proceed. I suspect that's why you saw 76 out of 200, we think it skips processing the rest of the vault once it hits an item that can't be imported. We're still investigating to be sure.

Can you try restoring with 1Password 4 or 7.2, not 1Password 7.3 beta builds.

I've just gone through the procedure to restore a previous vault.

Just to confirm this; this is what you did:

1. Open 1Password 7's settings via 1Password menu > Settings > Backups
    2. Scroll down until you find the most recent backup (the sorting of backups is old to new, make sure you select the right date) and select Show files.
    3. Copy the zip file to your desktop and rename it to restored-1Password.opvault.zip, extract it as such. (you should see just restored-1Password.opvault folder on the desktop now)
    4. Open 1Password, go to the 1Password menu > Open Vault on this PC to open that restored-1Password.opvault folder.
  • Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

Mike,

The procedure I used was as outlined in the Get Help >> 1Password backups

1. Create a folder -->> 1Password.opvault
    2. Navigate to backups in folder <>\AppData\Local\1Password\backups
    3. Right click zip file and Extract All (Extract to the folder created in 1.)
    4. Rename the folder created in 1. to differentiate this vault from main vault
    5. Open 1Password and select << open Vault on this PC >>
    6. Browse vault contents
  • Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

Mike,

Where do get the previous version 7.2 ?

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @Swivel_Eyes

You can find the 7.2 stable from our downloads site: https://1Password.com/downloads/

All builds are also available here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6

We are fixing the import sync glitch where it stops processing because of a bad item in your vault. We'll have it fixed in the next beta update.

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

When I use your procedure (4.03PM above), I get an empty vault with 4 categories Logins/Secure Notes/Credit Cards/Identities ….

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

… And if I then right click on this restored vault and disable sync, 76 items appear.

Hence my questions about syncing ….

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

OK Mike,,

I've managed to install v7.2.617 and its displaying my main vault from a few days ago which is what I want.
    I'm puzzled as to what date stamp vault data I'm actually looking at. But that doesn't matter because I've now got hold of my missing data that instigated this whole exercise in the first place.

I don't know what to do now regarding what version to use.
    I await your further instructions or maybe an for updated fix ….

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @Swivel_Eyes,

We're looking at your diagnostics report, it looks like you have a few sync-conflicted files in your vault and that may be why this started to cause some issues. We're making a few adjustments right now.

… And if I then right click on this restored vault and disable sync, 76 items appear.

It's just reading what is in the internal 1Password database now, the problem was that when it is pulling data from the folder, it encountered a bad file and stops syncing anyway. We are fixing it right now to let it pull data from the rest of the vault. 7.2 already had this code but we made changes to Folder Sync in 7.3 beta builds that didn't include this method.

We're also adding more logs to add a notice when a band file is damaged (potentially caused by sync conflict) and we skip over it. This would require manual fixing via using the conflict copy or from backup files.

ref: SRM-99788-959

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

So according to my interpretation of the log, the conflict occurred between Dec 16th/17th.
    Is there anything in the log around this time to suggest what I did to cause this conflict ?

Other than this, I'm assuming I'd been doing nothing wrong regarding restoring these backups ?

• Hi @Swivel_Eyes,

No, you didn't do anything wrong. It is possible the sync conflicts have nothing to do with this, we're still investigating and narrowing down the issue.

The sync conflict is a nature side effect of syncing changes made on two or more devices at the same time. Right now, 1Password on Windows does not resolve conflicts, it is something we'd like to support in a future update but we're leaning away as this being the cause of the backup issue.

We'll update you as soon as we have more; we're already hardening up our sync and backup code to work better, thanks to your report.

This discussion has been closed.