BMO username no longer fills

BMO login form filling has stopped working, looks like a change at their end.

With my old login, it fills the password but not my credit card number (as username).

If I rename my old BMO login out of the way, and create a new one with "Save new login" in 1password mini prior to submitting the form, it saves my username as "X" instead of the card number.

URL is: https://www1.bmo.com/onlinebanking/cgi-bin/netbnx/NBmain?product=5

Anything that can be done about this?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @cmh,

So the issue with the new item is 1Password did a bad job of identifying the username field even though it got the password correct. In part it's because of a number of false fields on the page likely placed there to try and confuse password managers. No I don't know why banks seem so intent on making being secure harder. The item can be modified so that 1Password understands a different field in the form details is the username but I suspect what might be easier is to import a modified item that I can supply.

1. Save this 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) file to your Desktop. The file should end in .1pif, if you see .txt please alter the filename accordingly.
    2. Drag the 1PIF file to the 1Password icon in the macOS dock to import into the active vault. If All Vaults is active it will use the default vault for saving (Vaults tab in 1Password's preferences).
    3. Locate the imported item, it will have a tag with the import date.
    4. Enter edit mode and replace the placeholder values with your real account credentials.
    5. Save.

You should find that works, if you have any trouble with it please let me know.

• cmh
    cmh
    Community Member

Thanks for this, it works great!

BMO is completely out to lunch with security. Although you discovered their form is rock solid, they only allow 6-character alpha-numeric passwords. And it's worse than that because various characters are idempotent for their phone banking. (Their system tells you to use the following key to convert letters in the password to numbers when using Telephone Banking: 2 = ABC3 = DEF4 = GHI5 = JKL6 = MNO7 = PQRS8 = TUV9 = WXYZ.) Fail.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's...horrifying. Glad lil bobby was able to help at least. :blush:

• jcur0806
    jcur0806
    Community Member

Can you please help me out with trying to log into BMO on my windows PC? I'm using Chrome 71. I'm not sure how to import the 1pif file on a PC. BMO recognises the password field, but not the card number (same issue as above, but PC, not Mac). thanks :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jcur0806,

Sure, no problem at all :smile:

The only difference is step 2 and for Windows what you want to do is: in 1Password select the menu option 1Password > Import and then select the 1Password Interchange Format (1PIF) option and follow the prompts.

You should find the rest is the same. If you have any trouble do let me know.

This discussion has been closed.