Unable to update to 7.2.617 on WIndows 10

I am being prompted about an update to 1Password on Windows 7 from 7.2.581. When I perform the update I run into this error. There is no way to get past the error.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: WIndows 10
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• Mwkeiki
    Mwkeiki
    Community Member

Same here - I'm running Malwarebyte 3.6.1 and found that there was an issue back in the summer - I wonder if it's the same/similar issue? Tried turning off all antivirus/antimalware and still got the message.

• Mwkeiki
    Mwkeiki
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Tried the following and it worked:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/55706/update-error-code-32

but a pain to not have it auto-update.

• Hi @Mwkeiki,

I'm glad you got it working but once you hit that stage where you see the retry dialog, unfortunately it's dead in the water. You have to uninstall and reinstall to fix it. But yes, certain anti-malware solutions has caused this problem.

We're working on a new installer, which is in 7.3 beta, we're building ourselves instead of using a third party installer to try to work around this unacceptable issue.

• Mwkeiki
    Mwkeiki
    Community Member

Thanks Mike - will look forward to the did!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• sbobcat
    sbobcat
    Community Member

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid that I would need to uninstall. I will give that a try.

• Hi @sbobcat,

If you're willing to give it a try, you can also try installing our 1Password 7.3 Beta builds, it has a new installer we've built and a great new re-try mechanism to give you time to close browsers and configure disable anti-malware solution to whitelist it.

• sbobcat
    sbobcat
    Community Member

Right now I still can't get 1 app removed. Despite uninstall the file is still there and locked even after reboot. I've now removed all extensions from. All browsers and am rebooting to try again.

• Hi @sbobcat,

You can just move the %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app folder to your desktop and install 1Password 7 but remember, your anti-malware solution will need to whitelist that directory.

• sbobcat
    sbobcat
    Community Member

That doesn't work. System is holding invalid handles on the file and I can't do anything (even with elevated privs) to release the file so that I can finish deleting it.

• sbobcat
    sbobcat
    Community Member

Ok, so I had to log in as different user and was able to delete the folder in app data and then reinstall. For whatever reason system process was keeping a lock on that folder and file.

• Hi @sbobcat,

Windows Defender maybe? Is it turned on even if you're using MalwareBytes?

• sbobcat
    sbobcat
    Community Member

Turned everything off, Defender also didn't indicate it was blocking anything. The other user was running Malwarebytes. At this point, I've got the latest version installed and working. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it. :)

• Hi @sbobcat,

That's very odd because 1Password is a single-user app install, nothing from other user accounts should affect it. Unless 1Password was installed with admin rights?

• sbobcat
    sbobcat
    Community Member

No, user based install. So yeah, really odd.

• Really odd. Hopefully, you won't notice this with the upcoming 7.3 update as it should be able to work around that type of issue.

This discussion has been closed.