My one big annoyance with 1Password--feature request

mbernhardt
mbernhardt
Community Member
edited December 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

When I save a site login in 1Password, it saves the specific URL where I was. Often, this is a one-time page for creating an account. I wish, I wish, I wish, that 1Password would (1) offer to save the login for the entire domain, not just the specific page, and (2) when clicking on a saved login, that it went not to the one-time page which often isn't valid anymore, but to the main page for the domain (or subdomain). It would make it so much more intuitive and not require a techie like me to straighten it out. This is the only reason I haven't recommended 1Password to my aging, non-techie parents.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS X
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @mbernhardt!

Thanks for your feedback. :) While I share your sentiment, this one is very hard to get right. If you look how many different login forms websites have, the best bet we can do right now is to capture the one you're currently on, and hope for the best.

I've taken a brief look at a few websites, and here's what I see:

• Github has a dedicated page for login
    • Propellerheads has a modal that you need to click into to open it
    • Facebook has the login form on the main page

If I took a deeper look, I'm sure that I would find even more variations, and that's without looking at the registration forms and how they're different than the login form. Regardless of the way we approach it, the URL we capture or transform would break a certain set of websites.

This is by no means an excuse, and we want to be able to do things right. However, we don't have a solution that would work for all websites yet. :(

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member

I do have lots of sites that "have a modal" as you say. 1Password takes me to the main page, I click login, and then go back and have 1Password fill in credentials.

What if, when offering to save credentials, you gave the user the option to save the URL for the domain rather than the specific page? Then 1Password would take me to the landing page and I'd do what I need to do. Then when I get to the login page (if it's different) I could ask 1PAssword to save it.

I think that's more intuitive than telling 1Password NOT to save a URL and then hoping that it asks me later, or having to go back and fix it because the page it saved is invalid. What do you think?

Happy holidays!

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member

Hi,
    I would like to add my +1 for that feature. Because even if there is a specific webpage to login (that we can choose to edit afterwards), the entire domain stays a better choice than a sign-up page that we will probably never use again. It allows using 1Password to go directly on the right webpage to sign-in, even if we sometimes need one more click when it's a "modal one" and not to fill erroneously a registration page when clicking "go and fill" in 1Password.
    Thanks,

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I don't know what the right answer is but adding an option to the save dialog to remove the path from a URL doesn't feel like it. 1Password does try not to fill registration forms or load them for that matter but the staggering number of ways a page may be designed or the path to it mean any automated approach will have a failure rate. Heck you can't even guarantee a site will use a password field for a password.

If a change is made there are several factors to consider; the change itself, what percentage of users will likely benefit from it and the possibility that the change is either misunderstood or misused. That last reason is why we tend to shy away from simply throwing more options in 1Password as it can lead to confusion for more people than it helps.

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member

"1Password does try not to fill registration forms or load them for that matter"
    Of course it doesn't try to fill out a registration form. But it certainly does attempt to load one I've already filled out once I've saved the credentials. Then I have to be smart enough to go back and edit the URL. This in't an issue if I first go to the URL I want and then open 1Password to fill in creds--you recognize when I'm at the same domain as the saved URL. But auto-open-and-fill is one of the great features you provide.

I get that for a few sites, like Zendesk, saving the main URL is going to be a problem and knowing to click "no" sometimes also requires some tech knowledge.

I'm just asking you guys to see if there's a way to simplify the much more frequent scenario I've described: Open 1Password, search for a login, click "open and fill" and get to a valid page.

I have one other idea. The problem usually occurs when I've used the password generator for a registration page. My current process is:
    1. Copy the generated password
    2. Paste it into Word so I don't lose it
    3. Say "no" when 1Password asks me to save
    4. Go to the login page and login, using the password I've saved because the clipboard has often cached out or been replaced.
    5. Say "yes" when 1Password asks me to save

So if there was a way to simplify that flow, such offering to cache that generated password in some fashion for future use...? It would eliminate that need to save it off so I don't lose it and have to do a password recovery, which happened too many times in the past.

What if you combined that with possibly recognizing a registration page (even if it didn't work 100%) and asking the user if this is the URL they want to save, or do they want to cache the password and save on the next login?

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to think about the topic, @mbernhardt. :)

I'm just asking you guys to see if there's a way to simplify the much more frequent scenario I've described: Open 1Password, search for a login, click "open and fill" and get to a valid page.

That's something we'll keep thinking about, and see if we can come up with a solution that will satisfy more use cases than the current one.

The problem usually occurs when I've used the password generator for a registration page

When you click Copy on the password generator, that password should automatically be saved as a Password item (not a Login item) with the name of the site you're on. You can then choose to convert it to a Login item, or use it as a temporary password holder. If that's not happening for you, please let us know and we'll look into it.

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member

"When you click Copy on the password generator, that password should automatically be saved as a Password item"

Huh, I never knew that! I have seen passwords items but didn't know how they got there. Maybe I'll play with that and see if it eases my work flow.

Thanks for listening, and have a happy new year.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

Perhaps there's an opportunity for us to be more vocal about what happens when you generate a password.

We're always happy to listen to constructive feedback. Let us know if that workflow is any better for you. Happy New Year! :)

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member

To save me time figuring it out, when I generate a password, how do I find that particular password as a "password item?" Is it saved with the URL that was open when I created it?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mbernhardt,

Whenever you use the Password Generator, whether it is to copy or fill 1Password will create a Password item with the generated password stored. That also applies if you edit the generated password before copying/filling as well. Along with the timestamp the title and website field will reflect where it was used. On the Mac side, if an application other than a supported browser was used the website field will be set as the URI for the bundle e.g. app://com.apple.AppStore for the App Store application and the title is the name of the app so in this case App Store. If the active application is a browser with a working extension the website field is set as the URL of the open page and the title set to the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). If I use the Password Generator whilst replying that would be discussions.agilebits.com.

If after using a generated password you save a Login item using the standard save dialog prompt for 1Password then 1Password will also delete the associated Password item as its purpose has been completed. Manually creating a new Login item and copying the password over won't cause the same outcome, that item will still exist but the important bit is the Password item will hang around until 1Password is convinced it is no longer needed and it should add sufficient details to the item to aid in locating it.

If you have any other questions about it please do let us know :smile:

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member

Thanks. I'll play with that and see how it goes.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

This discussion has been closed.