Where is the manual for 1Password7 for Windows, please?

scottishagate
scottishagate
Community Member

I have joined 1Password7 on a family menber's account. I am familiar with 1Password4 but this is a different beast! Where is the manual? Where do I get help? I am confused by 1PasswordX, 1Password Mini, 1 Password Desktop. I read on the Support Forum that I don't need the Desktop app if I'm using 1PasswordX browser extension, is this the case?
I tried setting up a login for my bank. 1PW7 remembers the username and password on page 1 (though I need to press the icon to fill the fields). After that, I have to hit Enter to reach page 2, and then fill in two more fields manually from memory. There must be a better way.
I need the manual!

1Password Version: 7.2.617
Extension Version: X
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have joined 1Password7 on a family menber's account. I am familiar with 1Password4 but this is a different beast! Where is the manual?

@scottishagate: There is no manual. We have guides for specific things. If you're using the Windows app, this is a good place to start:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-windows/

But if you just want to use 1Password X in your browser, this will give you a good overview:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

Where do I get help?

Here! :)

I am confused by 1PasswordX, 1Password Mini, 1 Password Desktop. I read on the Support Forum that I don't need the Desktop app if I'm using 1PasswordX browser extension, is this the case?

That's correct. I'd suggest starting with 1Password X, but if you end up wanting to use 1Password outside your browser, as a more traditional app, then 1Password for Windows may suit you.

I tried setting up a login for my bank. 1PW7 remembers the username and password on page 1 (though I need to press the icon to fill the fields). After that, I have to hit Enter to reach page 2, and then fill in two more fields manually from memory. There must be a better way. I need the manual!

There often isn't a better way when websites go out of their way to make things more complicated for their users, but this guide can help in many cases:

https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/

You can sometimes save a Login item for each step in the process in order to have 1Password fill there later.

I hope this helps. But be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• scottishagate
    scottishagate
    Community Member

Thanks for the helpful links, just what I was looking for!
    I've made a start with the Desktop App, plus 1PasswordX.
    Here are two more questions, I can't find the answers:
    (1) on a straightforward 1page login, will 1PW hit the Login button for me?
    (2) In 1Password X, Windows Chrome, my Tags aren't visible in the left pane, I have to scroll the display every time. I'm not using Categories or Watchtower, can the Tags be moved up? Alternatively, can the box be made longer?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scottishagate: You're very welcome! Glad to help. :chuffed:

(1) on a straightforward 1page login, will 1PW hit the Login button for me?

The Windows desktop app/extension can do this. In all other cases, you'll need to click the button or press Return/Enter to submit the form.

(2) In 1Password X, Windows Chrome, my Tags aren't visible in the left pane, I have to scroll the display every time. I'm not using Categories or Watchtower, can the Tags be moved up? Alternatively, can the box be made longer?

We don't have plans for that currently, but it's something we can consider for future versions. You can, however, type a tag name in the search box and it will display items matching that. Happy New Year! :)

• scottishagate
    scottishagate
    Community Member

Thanks for the clear instructions. And a Happy New Year to you also!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.