Unable to login to 1password after update.

saturnonearth
saturnonearth
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi, I am unable to login to 1Password for Windows Version 7.3.648. It is simply denying my password I guess. I am able to login to both 1Password X beta and the website fine. This seemed to happen right after I attempted to add a credit card to my vault. Not sure if that had any effect.

I went ahead and downloaded the non-beta latest version, and I am still unable to login.

1Password Version: 7.3.648
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @saturnonearth,

Thanks for reporting this.

Do you recall changing the master password for your 1Password account recently? If you did, try unlocking with the old password in the Windows desktop app first, then let it sync, and you should see a red banner show up saying it failed to authenticate your account. Click on the red banner to sign in with the new password and it should work now.

• saturnonearth
    saturnonearth
    Community Member

I was able to fix it by uninstalling the application and clearing the appdata folder as well. Is this a known bug?

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @saturnonearth,

Not as far as we know, we have thousands of beta testers downloading new updates daily and we do internal testings along with automated testings, other than your report, there has not been an issue like this for a long time.

Unfortunately, you've also trashed the logs in the appdata folder. The only thing that makes sense is some of the 1Password.com credentials has changed at the website and 1Password just didn't update it for you, we certainly have seen this before. However, even if it was changed, you can still unlock the desktop app since the changes can't happen without a sync first and to sync, you have to have valid access.

If you email us at support+windows@1Password.com from your 1Password account's email address, I can check into the activity to see if there were any credential changes that can do this.

• saturnonearth
    saturnonearth
    Community Member

I did change the masterpassword recently, as I am a new subscriber to the service, I forgot to mention. Also, I did generate a diagnostics log before uninstalling and clearing the appdata. Would that be useful?

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @saturnonearth,

Yes, please! You can email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Please include the link to this thread and your forum username in the email's body, so that we connect that email to this thread.

If you did change your master password, it would explain what you saw. The question is, did you try entering your old master password first in the Windows desktop app?

• saturnonearth
    saturnonearth
    Community Member

No I did not try entering my old password unfortunately, but I thought I had already used my new password and it was working fine. But I could be wrong. I will go ahead and email that now.

• Hi @saturnonearth,

Yea, that would explain what happened. The desktop app is encrypted locally with its own device-specific encryption key, so you can unlock without having to be online at all. When you change your master password elsewhere, 1Password does not know that because it hasn't sync'ed yet. To sync, you have to unlock the app with its current key which is based on the current password. So, when you unlock, it starts to sync and notice it has a newer key, so it ask you to enter the new master password to use the new key since it doesn't know what it is.

• saturnonearth
    saturnonearth
    Community Member

Ah ok, that would make sense. Thanks! Is this publicly documented anywhere?

• Hi @saturnonearth,

Yes, in this guide about changing your master password (scroll down if the link doesn't do that).

This discussion has been closed.