Upgrading to family plan and v.7 and confused over sync choices and current behavior

mwarner
mwarner
Community Member

Hi,
I made several upgrades today in the following order with status:

1) opened a 1 password family account online while I still had my stand alone version of v.6.x running on my Mac (can't recall exact version, but upgraded as far as I could under 6 without paying for a subscription). The process seemed pretty seamless and I could see that my data was transferred to my 1 password online account space.

2) since I originally purchased from the Mac App Store, I then went there and installed version 7.2.2 as instructed on the website.

3) When installing version 7, I got the warnings about how my database that was syncing with dropbox will need to be updated. I followed the links to the info describing how to switch to the OPV vault format. I'm still trying to digest this with other information and hence the reason (partly) for my post here. Also, either when I created the online account or upgraded the local version to 7 (sorry, can't recall which) I was asked if I wanted to delete my old vault. I said no out of sheer paranoia until I could really learn how things have changed.

Here is where I am and my questions:

1) In version 7, I now see my Private vault that looks like the online one and it contains 1,119 items. I also see my local Primary vault that only contains 1,076 items. Why the mismatch between these two vaults? How do I reconcile this mismatch?

2) If I no longer want to use Dropbox to sync my data, how do I go about setting this up? This one is a killer for me, as I next need to direct three other family members on how to join the family plan I just started. They all use 1 password the same way I did (with the old stand alone version 6) and sync to their own DropBox space, so I need to understand how this is going to work and how to walk them through the upgrade process.

3) I appreciate that you seem to be giving the user the option to still sync via Dropbox or iCloud, but I am horribly confused as to why I still want to do this. What are the advantages / disadvantages to maintaining a Dropbox sync?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.
Best,
Mark

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mwarner: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The thing is, once you've got your data in your 1Password.com account, you don't need Dropbox or iCloud to sync your data; you just sign into your account on each device and it's there. So those options just don't apply to you, and the only reason you're seeing them is because you didn't remove your old vault after migrating your data to your account as recommended. You can do that now by disabling the local vault option in 1Password Preferences > Advanced, and you should be good to go.

As far as your family, this guide will take you through the basics of inviting them so they can setup their own accounts under your 1Password Families membership:

https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/

And if you -- or your loved ones -- have any other questions along the way, just let me know. Happy New Year! :)

• mwarner
    mwarner
    Community Member

Many thanks! Also, I assume on the iPhone, we also need to select the Delete Vault option on the primary vault too? I've noticed that since setting up my 1password account on the iOS version, I have tons of duplicates littering the app at the moment.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mwarner: If you follow the migration guide, that's all covered at the end. But yes, the goal is to have the same setup -- account only -- on all your devices, so there's no confusion with what is where: if everything is in your account, and you're signed into that, you'll have everything there too. :)

This discussion has been closed.