Can someone make a detailed guide on how to import passwords from Dashlane?

I tried following the threads on this forum regarding similar issues when importing from Dashlane, but I don't fully understand how to do it properly. Mainly, if someone could clarify how the CSV file should look after it being modified, that would help me a lot.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:dashlane

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2018

@Octavzz ,

Which platform are you on?
    Which version and type of 1Password (standalone, Families, etc.) are you using?

• Octavzz
    Octavzz
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

@MrC I am currently on Mac, using an Individual Plan.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2018

The process is relatively simple, @Octavzz .

1. Export your Dashlane data as CSV.
    2. Open the CSV in a local (not online!) spreadsheet program (see note below)
    3. Eliminate all the non-Login entries (rows)
    4. Format your Login lines according to How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file

Note: You'll want to be sure each line of your CSV shows up as a single line in the spreadsheet. It is possible that some Dashlane entries get split into two lines (due to their improper CSV export).

If you have more comprehensive needs from your Dashlane export, let me know.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Octavzz: If you can get a clean export, it's just a matter of going to https://start.1password.com/import to sign into your account and then import it there directly. Cheers! :)

• Octavzz
    Octavzz
    Community Member

I tried editing with Numbers, but the CSV file gets formatted in a weird way. My only working option was to manually edit the CSV file in text editor, but it's a painstaking process if you have over 300 lines in your file.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Octavzz ,

First, let me apologize for not mentioning that you could use 1password.com's Dashlane importer (since you have an Individual plan). I didn't catch that the first time, and mentally I though you had an app license. Sorry about that.

So if you can use the 1Password.com import as per @brenty 's mention above, that will be easiest.

If that fails for some reason, it may be because there are issues with the CSV format in the export.

I'll ask the questions now, just to save time, but please try the 1password.com import first.

Can you explain what you mean by gets formatted in a weird way ?

• Octavzz
    Octavzz
    Community Member

I actually figured it out, it was my fault when I was editing the file in Numbers, I wasn't aware of the proper way to format it. Thanks to the link provided (https://support.1password.com/create-csv-files/), I managed to do it properly.

Now I have imported all of my logins from Dashlane, and I'm ready to start using 1Password more.

Thank you a lot for your advice!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Outstanding @Octavzz .

Enjoy 1Password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

First, let me apologize for not mentioning that you could use 1password.com's Dashlane importer (since you have an Individual plan). I didn't catch that the first time, and mentally I though you had an app license. Sorry about that.

@MrC: Honestly, you'd be forgiven for being used to there not being another option apart from your awesome converter. Just glad it worked out in the end. Thanks for all you do! :chuffed: :+1:

I actually figured it out, it was my fault when I was editing the file in Numbers, I wasn't aware of the proper way to format it. Thanks to the link provided (https://support.1password.com/create-csv-files/), I managed to do it properly.

@Octavzz: I'm so glad to hear that helped! If you have questions about anything else along the way, just ask. :)

This discussion has been closed.