Why won't it automatically fill the password from the password generator?

fcar
fcar
Community Member

Hi,

I am using the latest beta of 1P6 for Windows, on Windows 10 Creators Update with the latest patches applied.

I am using Google Chrome.

I noticed that the password generator on the extension will only allow me to copy a generated password, I then have to manually paste it into the website where I am creating an account.

However many websites will disable pasting! Whether by disabling right-clicking or by disabling the keyboard shortcut. So I am unable to paste complex passwords and this totally defeats the purpose of buying your app.

On the Mac it will automatically fill the generated password for me. I want the same on your Windows app. Otherwise, it's just useless for me, I can just save all my passwords on Excel then.

When will your developers make it work like it does on the Mac?

Because it is not acceptable to sell something that "creates accounts with hard to crack passwords and stores on a very secure database protected by one single hard to crack password that only you know" or whatever.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: 4.6.11.3
OS Version: 15063.608
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

Hi, I am using the latest beta of 1P6 for Windows, on Windows 10 Creators Update with the latest patches applied. I am using Google Chrome. I noticed that the password generator on the extension will only allow me to copy a generated password, I then have to manually paste it into the website where I am creating an account. However many websites will disable pasting! Whether by disabling right-clicking or by disabling the keyboard shortcut. So I am unable to paste complex passwords and this totally defeats the purpose of buying your app.

That's a really good point. Unfortunately this is a feature that the new Windows app does not have yet. We will have to add it. I'm sorry for the inconvenience there in the mean time. I can't make 1Password automatically fill generated passwords for you today, but it's absolutely on our todo list.

On the Mac it will automatically fill the generated password for me. I want the same on your Windows app. Otherwise, it's just useless for me, I can just save all my passwords on Excel then.

I feel confident saying that 1Password is a much more secure and convenient option even without, though I appreciate that you're probably being hyperbolic since you're frustrated about this.

When will your developers make it work like it does on the Mac?

I can't give you a date. As I'm sure you know, while the new app has come a long way, there are still many things which need to be done to "make it work like it does on the Mac", and this particular feature is not at the top of our priority list, even though it's something we'd like as well and will be adding in the future. It took time for 1Password for Mac to get to where it is today, and though judging from the progress we've made it shouldn't take nearly as long for us to get there on Windows, it will take time. Thanks for your patience!

Because it is not acceptable to sell something that "creates accounts with hard to crack passwords and stores on a very secure database protected by one single hard to crack password that only you know" or whatever.

1Password does exactly that, so I'm not sure I agree. But if you have other feature requests or suggestions I'll be happy to share them with the rest of the team as well.

ref: OPW6-793

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Unfortunately this isn't a feature that the new Windows app does not have yet.

Is the double negation intended? ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@XIII: No, that was a typo and/or poor grammar. Thank you :blush:

@fcar: I'm sorry to hear that. Obviously if this is annoying you it may feel like this is the only feature that matters, and we should prioritize this over everything else. But since you and I aren't the only ones who use 1Password daily, we do have to take into account the feature requests and improvements others are looking for.

On a bit of a tangent, we didn't release Rich Icons for a very long time, not because we had to build the database of pretty icons or anything. That work has been done, and benefits all of the apps. But it did require some major changes under the hood, not explicitly for Rich Icons, but to the data structures and overall performance of the app. So while that's a perfectly sensible critique, the reality is that Rich Icon support was the byproduct of a lot of work we needed to do anyway to improve 1Password overall. Definitely a more "superficial" feature though, so I don't blame you at all for feeling that we prioritized this over generated password filling (and perhaps other features).

Getting back to your request, I know it doesn't help you when you're in that situation now, but the reality is that most sites aren't coded in a user-hostile manner, forcing you to type into the password field manually. And since the vast majority of use 1Password gets is login filling (rather than login creation), that's where our focus is right now (for example, with the recently released Edge beta).

You're totally right that this specific workflow sucks currently in the new Windows app. I can't tell you how sorry I am about that. I've already passed your feedback to the rest of the team because it's completely fair criticism and a reasonable expectation. It's just not something we're able to prioritize right now, but we absolutely will fix this up for you and everyone else. :blush:

• gmaister22
    gmaister22
    Community Member

Yeah, i am testing some password managers in order to decide which one to use, while 1Password software feels great, the browser extensions are really unfriendly and unpolished...having to copy paste the password its extremely frustrating for a paid choice tbh :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gmaister22: I think you may just be coming in at the tail end of this discussion. To be clear, it is only necessary to copy and paste in very specific circumstances. In the vast majority of cases, 1Password can fill login credentials on websites, and we're always working to make it even better at doing so. If you need help with one, be sure to let us know!

• gmaister22
    gmaister22
    Community Member

@brenty on all websites i have tested so far, google, facebook, twitter and couple forums, when i create a new account and use the 1Password's Password Generator i have to manually copy paste the password since it does not autofill in the password...on all of them

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gmaister22: Indeed, as I mentioned above, you can saved fill login credentials on websites, but the password generator cannot interact with web pages yet.

• Hi @fcar,

And you guys clearly think that's a beautiful experience because you said it's not a priority

No, we don't think this is the best experience we can do on Windows, we know we are nowhere close to the 1Password 6 for macOS but we're definitely closing the gap in each update since we started developing 1Password 6 last year (first birthday last Friday).

Use this app on a Mac, you get all the useful automation, use it on Windows and you're expected to do everything manually and then when a website doesn't accept copy/paste (fair on them!) you blame it on them rather than your company's inability to implement the feature, when the same app on a different platform has it.

We are not trying to shift any blame here, it is our fault entirely for not providing the optimal experience for our 1Password.com customers on Windows.

We will implement the ability for the Password Generator to fill like it already does in 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 for macOS including everything else that 1Password 6 for macOS have, such as automatically cleaning up redundant password items, showing password history on each site, and more.

When Brenty said it is not priority, it was used as a software development term, not in the way it sounded. This feature is highly requested and will be implemented as soon as it is possible, it is definitely a priority for us. The reason it is not high on our to do next list is because we have other foundation works that needs to be done before we can enable this feature. If we decide to focus on all features that all customers require right now, it will take much longer to complete and potentially end up with unstable program that cannot do all of them properly.

We are not intentionally trying to make the 1Password experience worse on Windows, we are focusing on building a stable foundation that will be used for the next decade on Windows but that means all features that depend on certain parts of the foundation to be laid down first cannot be implemented right away.

• You're welcome, we totally understand where you are coming from. I use 1Password every day on my Surface Pro and I keep nagging at our developers about some of the basics that just falls apart that we need to fix sooner.

• efacsen
    efacsen
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Hi, I'm currently investing my time to change all passwords of my frequently used websites with this great Password Generator chrome extension (New Customer :blush: ), I don't mind copy/paste my new passwords from the Password Generator (eventho its not a convenient way to do) until I stumble upon PayPal where I can't paste my copied Password Generator into the new password field. I'm browsing for an answer and found this open discussion. I read all the comments here and it seems that there are still no solutions for this? Or do 1Password developers already found a way around this problems?

regards,
    efacsen

EDIT: After I installed 1Password X Password Manager on Chrome, everything went smooth as it should be :+1: , no more copy/paste needed. Great job and keep up the good work :)

• @efacsen: We don't have a workaround for sites that block pasting with the standard extension. Blocking pasting is objectively horrible – it encourages crummy passwords and does exactly nothing to improve your security, but it's sadly something a handful of companies still think is a good idea.

As a new customer, though, my recommendation for you would actually be to give 1Password X a try. It's a different experience to be sure, but you've not had the chance to develop set-in-stone habits yet. 1Password X is available in Chrome and Firefox across all operating systems and can absolutely fill generated passwords for you. We definitely do want to improve the standard extension on Windows, but we've got a few important issues we really need to resolve before moving on to a project like improvements to mini and neither these issues nor mini are small tasks. We'll get there, but not any time in the immediate future (sorry! 🙏).

Also, I'm going to go try to change my PayPal password just to make extra sure I can't copy/paste and if I find the same, I'll tweet 'em to whine about it. I'd encourage you to do the same, if you're up for it. Troy Hunt, a security researcher we partner with to provide some of the features of Watchtower, is a big proponent of allowing pasting in password fields for exactly this reason and has had some success in shaming companies into changing their policies when they claim this is for security. Even absent 1Password, allowing pasting is a net good for their customers' security and we should definitely make our voices heard if PayPal aren't using best practices. :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, and while we still have work to do on the Windows app in this regard, in many cases 1Password can actually bypass "paste" restrictions by filling directly. Glad 1Password X helped! :)

• mohammad1361
    mohammad1361
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

@brenty When will 1Password 7.3 be released? 🙄

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@mohammad1361: When it's ready. ;)

Also, you comment seems to have nothing to do with this discussion. Please stay on topic in the future. :)

• stubbsy
    stubbsy
    Community Member

Regarding this comment by @MikeT back in October 2017: "We will implement the ability for the Password Generator to fill like it already does in 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 for macOS" and which is essentially the starting topic here. There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then and we are now at 1Password 7 and that feature still appears to be MIA. Personally that's a big annoyance for me coming from 1PW v4. Am I missing some setting to enable this or is it still down the implementation priority list? Or should I be using 1Password X instead and that's where you plan to grow new features?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stubbsy: As I'm sure you've noticed, the password generator is not part of 1Password mini. Hence, it cannot fill (as that's handled by mini). This is something we'll be adding, but that will require a redesigned mini that incorporates the password generator. 1Password X is great, but we do want to continue adding advanced features to the desktop app/extension. We can't do everything at once though, and even if we could, that runs the risk of introducing a lot of bugs that can be avoided by not biting off more than we can chew. ;)

• stubbsy
    stubbsy
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@brenty thanks for the prompt response. First I fully understand you can't do everything at once (I'm a developer myself) so I'm fine right now. That said I'm not understanding your response :(

You say "the password generator is not part of 1Password mini" and if mini is what I see if I left click the toolbar icon inside my browser/the icon in the system tray then it does have a password generator option (2nd icon from the bottom). For now I have switched to 1Password X.

Edit: OR are you saying that the dialog presented when that icon referenced above is clicked sits outside mini and hence can't interact with mini to fill the form?

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @stubbsy,

You have it mostly right in your edit and I'll explain with more details since you're a developer.

When you click on 1Password icon in your browser, the 1Password extension sends a call to our native process (Native Messaging) to bring up the native 1Password mini window. While most of the UI can send commands back like selecting a Login item will send the details to the extension (secured native messaging pipe), the password generator is not hooked up yet.

To implement the filling support, we have to add logic to 1Password mini's generator to send new passwords back to the 1Password browser extension's script to inject the password in the right places.

You say "the password generator is not part of 1Password mini" and if mini is what I see if I left click the toolbar icon inside my browser/the icon in the system tray then it does have a password generator option (2nd icon from the bottom).

I believe Brenty meant that the 1Password mini's password generator is not integrated with the 1Password browser extension, not mini. To most users, 1Password extension and 1Password mini are the same thing, so we sometime get that mixed up a bit when explaining but they're entirely separate.

• stubbsy
    stubbsy
    Community Member

@MikeT Thanks for the clear explanation. That makes complete sense to me and also makes it clear this is not a trivial change ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, Mike said it best. There's a lot of awesome stuff we want to do with 1Password mini, so we'll be incorporating the password generator into its new design in time. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.