My Windows PC and my browser show up as multiple devices

I have used 1Password on exactly 1 device. I could understand if it counted 2 instances, 1 for the desktop client and 1 for the browser, but it is counting 5 instances: 3 desktop and 2 browser. Ok, 6 now that I signed in on browser again to double check.

Does anyone know why it does this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jan789,

Thanks for writing in.

I just want to make sure I understand your question correctly; are you referring to the list of devices on your profile at https://my.1Password.com? If not, what are you referring to when you talk about list of devices?

• jan789
    jan789
    Community Member

Hi, yes, that's exactly it. The list of devices on my profile on the web management for 1Password. It shows duplicates, which is perplexing.

• The only thing that should trigger additional devices to be added is the re-authorization of a client, so anything that results in you getting a "new sign-in from X" e-mail. Have you received these e-mails for each "device" you're seeing in your browser? Also, on the browser front, any chance you use 1Password X in your browser? Since 1Password X is an extension that works all on its own without requiring a desktop app, it is considered its own "device" and, based on my own device list, it still appears as the browser its installed in rather than as "1Password X" so that might account for the extra browsers in the list.

• jan789
    jan789
    Community Member

the re-authorization of a client, so anything that results in you getting a "new sign-in from X" e-mail.

Sorry, I am not real clear on what ought to trigger this. If my browser forgets my secret key and I copy/pasted it from my PDF instead of logging in by signing in with the app, would that make more browser re-authorizations?

I got 3 e-mail notifications for my laptop, 2 for my browser (all the same one), and 1 for my phone.
    My profile shows 3 instances of the laptop, 3 of the (same) browser, and 1 of the phone.

I only put in the QR code on laptop once. However I did unsuccessfully try to use the option to copy/paste the secret key and manually fill other account info as I didn't understand the other option. Would that account for the duplicate laptop instances?

Also, on the browser front, any chance you use 1Password X in your browser? Since 1Password X is an extension that works all on its own without requiring a desktop app, it is considered its own "device" and, based on my own device list, it still appears as the browser its installed in rather than as "1Password X" so that might account for the extra browsers in the list.

I think so? Is that the browser extension? I don't really understand the difference between the two browser options.

Either way, I can see why that would make the browser show up as a device, but not why that would make it show up more than once for the same make of browser.

• jan789
    jan789
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Try to close it everywhere & then use it on any other system. After that, check what it's showing.

I have actually previously found an extra unauthorized device in my gmail like this, but I didn't try logging to my 1Password web account from another device. Maybe I should. :frowns:

• Thanks for the additional info, @jan789! I think what you've shared is enough to say that the proper number of devices are being shown on the web app. In fact your mention of copying/pasting your Secret Key triggered a memory as I think we spoke over e-mail and I helped you sort out getting that PC signed in. Let's see if I can't tie this up with a nice bow that makes a bit more sense.

For the PC, I'd bet you're right about those original sign-in attempts creating some extra devices. That would have resulted in the server authorizing with your Windows app, but since something went wrong along the way and your app was never truly authorized, you were having to re-authorize each time you signed in, creating a new device. This should mean that you'll not see any extras created moving forward.

On the browser front, I believe you're right again. If your browser isn't remembering your Secret Key, it will re-authorize each time you sign in, so if you've signed in 3 times, having to enter your Secret Key each time, that would again indicate the proper number of devices is shown.

Now, all of that said, even if I'm totally right, it's still worth determining why your browser isn't remembering your Secret Key. Do you have your cookies and cache cleared each time you close your browser by chance? As you might be aware your Secret Key is only stored locally – in your browsers cache, in the case of your web browser – so clearing it would be both that your Secret Key wouldn't be remembered and that you would be re-authorizing that browser each time you sign in resulting in some extra authorized devices showing up.

I hope that makes sense, but please feel free to ask questions if it doesn't. I know this stuff is a bit convoluted and I promise you I've interrogated our server development team more than once to try to better understand this stuff. I'm happy to answer any questions that will help you better understand what's going on so you know when it's worth being worried. :chuffed:

• jan789
    jan789
    Community Member

Hi, yes that makes sense, thanks. Also thanks for helping me with setup. It worked!

My browser is supposed to clear the cache and cookies when it closes, but it tends to save the session over a Windows reset or shutdown if I don't actually x out the browser. Maybe that's expected. So it only sometimes clears things, and often saves that type of data because I am working on something or other and keep tabs open to remind me what I was doing.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jan789,

If you have 1Password 7 for Windows on your laptop, there is no need for you to sign in to your account on 1Password.com in the browser. You can use the app and 1Password extension without the web interface on our website.

Is there a specific reason why you sign in to your account on 1Password.com? Please let us know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• jan789
    jan789
    Community Member

It used to have more options than the app did. Not sure this is the case anymore.

1Password worked better on my phone but was always crashing on my laptop. I changed to something that works on my laptop but not well on my phone. Not really much happier with that.

Best,
    Jan

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jan789:

It used to have more options than the app did. Not sure this is the case anymore.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "more options than the app did"?

This discussion has been closed.