Disable fancy formatting [markdown] in secure notes?

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, thank you for the update! Glad to hear that you found that helpful. :chuffed:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2018

macOS supports a way to enter a Tab so as not to shift the focused field or textarea - use Ctrl-Option-Tab. This works in Secure Notes.

@StarPine , @brenty

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member

Hi @MrC thanks for the tip, that works! Hip Hip Hooray!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrC: I had no idea! Thank you! I've been using text replacement. :lol:

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member

This is where they say "the plot thickens"...

Since a couple of days I have been able to use alt-Tab again in secure notes... How is this even possible?
    I was just getting used to alt-ctrl-Tab to get a tab in secure notes.
    Any idea why this is working again?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@StarPine - we fixed it. :) That's how.

ref: apple-964

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member

@Lars great! Thanks a lot, but how is that even possible... I appreciate it can be fixed, but how did you do that?

I am still on version 7.2.2 and the tab-functionality can be fixed remotely by sending some kind of update towards all software installation? If that is the case, is my personal vault at risk? I am just curious, so if you could explain your magic :)
    Thanks again, have a great weekend!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@StarPine - you're asking the wrong person; I didn't actually write the fix myself. 7.2 was the fix version, so we didn't "do it remotely," you've been on versions capable of it for the last two incremental updates. No magic involved. :)

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member

@brenty @Lars well, that's just not right. In this thread I can see @brenty wrote the disabling of tabs in version 7.2.2 was intentional and @MrC gave an excellent tip. However after a couple of weeks, alt+Tab works again in the exact same version 7.2.2.
    So what is going on? I had the update 7.2.2 which did not accept alt+Tab for input in Secure Notes and I used the ctrl+option+tab, which worked great and now when nothing has changed in the software version 7.2.2 alt+Tab works again?
    Weird right?

• As far as 1Password is concerned this was fixed in v7.2. Beyond that I couldn't really explain the behavior you've been seeing other than perhaps you were not in fact on the version you thought you were on. As you noted there hasn't been any change to 1Password for Mac on the stable path since November 12th. If you're on the beta path that would be a different story, but it doesn't sound like that is the case.

Ben

• StarPine
    StarPine
    Community Member

Well that's just wrong, because @brenty said in an earlier post on this latest version 7.2.2:
    That's intentional. Tabs are supposed to switch between fields. Not doing so means getting "trapped" in a field with no way to get out of it using the keyboard...and that's especially bad for folks who rely on accessibility devices/features to use their computer.

Using a tab wasn't fixed, it has always worked with alt+Tab, then all of a sudden on 7.2.2 it stopped working, unless I used ctrl+alt+Tab and now it works again.
    You can clearly read all the comments, there is just something not right.

This is my version of 1Password 7 - Version 7.2.2 (70202006), not a beta right?

• From the release notes for v7.2:

In edit mode, the tab key can now be used to exit the Notes field. Option-Tab will insert a Tab character. {apple-issues#964}

I don't see anything in the v7.2.2 release that would have any effect on this. You can see all of the release notes here:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7

I'm sorry but I'm failing to see what the issue is.

Ben

• kparker
    kparker
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

I am unfortunately late in seeing this thread but I too was surprised and frustrated that text notes I'd had stored for a few years suddenly had unwanted formatting changes to them. Glad to see the ability to turn it off. I would have argued it should have defaulted to normal/legacy behavior and folks could turn it ON if desired. Mac Mail and other apps generally allow users to choose "Simplify Formatting" or "Plain Text" for individual items, rather than application wide. #EndRant

Appreciate the Agile Bits team for fixing a frustration and communicating clearly about it! I'm a fan.

• Mac Mail and other apps generally allow users to choose "Simplify Formatting" or "Plain Text" for individual items, rather than application wide. #EndRant

We did discuss that possibility, and we may still offer that at some point in the future, but doing so is going to be a fair amount of work. We wanted to give folks a way to work around the problems they were experiencing as a result of the markdown feature sooner rather than later.

Appreciate the Agile Bits team for fixing a frustration and communicating clearly about it! I'm a fan.

Thanks for saying so. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.