1password wont unlock on mac website

Options
carolm
carolm
Community Member

after filling in user name and clicking on pw line, it tells me to use up arrow, command and X to unlock. This does not do anything.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:unlock on ios

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carolm: The symbol is used on macOS to represent the Shift key. In order to unlock 1Password X, you'll need to either press Shift Command X or click the 1Password X button in the browser's toolbar to open it and enter your Master Password to unlock. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• carolm
    carolm
    Community Member
    Options

THanks brenty, but this did not work to unlock 1password on my mac 10.11.6. It won't unlock and I have to go to 1password web site and log in before I can use the autofill on a website.
    Anything else I can do?
    I am currently in a 30 day trial period.
    thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carolm - what specific version of 1Password for Mac do you have installed? Or do you not have the application installed at all? Brenty mentioned 1Password X -- are you using 1Password X in your browser, or our extension which requires the local 1Password app? If you open your browser and look in extensions, what is the specific version of 1Password extension you have installed?

• carolm
    carolm
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1PW for Mac versioon 6. My ios version won't allow 1PW 7.

After some searching I believe I have the 1PW ext. (i small icon in the upper right tool bar in Chrome). The ext version is 4.7.3.90

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carolm - OK, thanks for the additional information. Can you please restart your Mac, then see if your problem persists? When your Mac restarts, please open 1Password 6 for Mac from your Applications folder and unlock it with your Master Password. Let me know how that goes for you.

• carolm
    carolm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for reply.
    I opened 1PW6 thru applications, tried to sign in to a web site and it asked me to press shift, command, X. After I did this a new smaller window popped up from 1PW and asked for my master pw.

• carolm
    carolm
    Community Member
    Options

I've been on the forum and wanted to know why, after I checked in preferences to have 1PW mini in menu bar, that the icon had a small lock on it. After changing settings in the extension, the lock icon went away and now the autofill is working.
    Is this the answer?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carolm - it's difficult for me to say, just from the information you've provided. While you can adjust your security (timeout) settings in 1Password's Preferences > Security, there is no way to avoid having to enter your Master Password occasionally, since it's what actually is used to derive the encryption key that secures your data. When you get the prompt to enter your Master Password, enter it. And if you find that you're getting it too often, open Preferences > Security and you can adjust how frequently 1Password will ask you for it. Hope that helps. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carolm - what happens if you open Chrome's Preferences > Extensions? What do you see there? Is there more than one 1Password extension?

• carolm
    carolm
    Community Member
    Options

There is 1PW ext and 1PW X listed.

• carolm
    carolm
    Community Member
    Options

The small black lock icon is back on the iPW icon in the menu bar. When Im on a web site I have to enter my master pw on each and every web site- auto fill is not working again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carolm - that's because you have two different extensions installed, our standard native-app-required extension (4.7.3.90, which is what you should be using), and 1Password X (which is what you'd use if you had only a 1Password account and didn't want to use the native application. Please disable 1Password X and try using only the other extension. Does that help?

• carolm
    carolm
    Community Member
    Options

yes, it seems to be working better.
    I'll continue to keep trying it and see if I become more adept at this. It seems to require a large learning curve.
    THanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carolm - there are certainly a few concepts to master in 1Password, but fortunately, if you take the time to begin using it, you'll be doing so every day (or nearly so, unless you're away from all of your devices). That kind of repetition will make you "fluent" pretty quickly. I'd also recommend having a look at the Get to know 1Password for Mac section of our support pages. It's got a lot of good, step-by-step explainers for basic tasks in 1Password, plus links to more-advanced topics. Don't worry, though -- this isn't Photoshop or a CAD program. We've designed 1Password to be as easy to use as it can be while still securing your data. And we're always here if you need us. :)

• carolm
    carolm
    Community Member
    Options

I have looked over the get to know... it all seems easy enough but when it doesn't go right I have no idea what to do.
    Now, I find that my 1PW on mac passwords are not syncing with 1PW on my ipad and iphone ios. I am in the process of changing all my weak passwords. I do not see any sync icon under 1PW preferences on ipad or iphone as the "how to sync 1PW with icloud" article says I should to be able to select icloud (best for all apple users?)
    Don't know what I'm doing wrong- autofill on all 3 devices is setup.
    ios version- 12.1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carolm: Do you have a 1Password membership subscription? If so, it doesn't have sync settings, as you just need to sign into your account on each device to access the data you've stored there.

However, if you have a Primary (local) vault on any of your devices, that is completely separate from a 1Password membership subscription account, so that may be why you have some devices that don't seem to be syncing the way you expect. Let me know what you find.

• carolm
    carolm
    Community Member
    Options

I subscribed to 1PW- i'm on the 30 day trial period right now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear it! If you have any other questions, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.