7.3.652 Installation Failure! [Fixed in 7.4.654]

pawo
pawo
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Good morning, trying to istall the latst version 7.3.652 I get the following error message and no install. Never had such problem before in years. Didn't change anything at my system vs previous installations. What can I do?! Thanks a lot.

1Password Version: 7.3.648
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1803 Build 17134.472
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pawo: It looks like something is locking files 1Password as 1Password is trying to write them to disk. Backup software or "security" suites often do that. Try disabling anything like that and reinstall 1Password. Booting into Safe Mode may help too. Let me know how it goes!

• wigster
    wigster
    Community Member

Same thing here. I started with a clean install of 1password: I uninstalled it from my Windows machine, deleted the 1password folder from %LOCALAPPDATA% and installed the latest non-beta release. Then I changed the channels to beta and received the message

which is the same as the above. The problem is that one of the files in %LOCALAPPDATA%/1password/7 is locked and cannot be overwritten with the new version.

I had the same problem trying in to stall. 748.

Windows: 10 1809 17763.195
    1P X Firefox extension
    Upgrading 7.2 release to 7.3.652.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wigster: Did you see my comments above? That may work for you.

• wigster
    wigster
    Community Member

Hi,

I do not have anything like that running (apart from the standard Windows Defender). From ProcessExplorer.exe it seems it's SYSTEM that has the lock on 1password.exe

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wigster: Yeah, that sounds like something in the OS itself is hung up. Did you try rebooting, or restarting in Safe Mode?

• wigster
    wigster
    Community Member

When I reboot, the file gets locked if I start 1p. And it seems I need to start it to upgrade using the proper manner.

What I have managed to do is to delete the contents of %LOCALAPPDATA%/app/7 apart from 1password.exe, reboot, then 1p cannot start and doesn't lock itself, and then copy over the contents of %LOCALAPPDATA/app/7.3.652 to /7. This seems to give me a working version of .652, but I don't know if the same thing will happen at the next beta.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Thank you @brenty. I have no security suite, just the normal windows 10 functionalities which I never changed. Before I posted my question I tried already many things, like reboot, Safe Mode, starting installation within 1Password settings, starting installation 1PW logged off etc...always the same result...

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

...had to stop now automatic install once 1PW is locked as it's trying again and again, kicking me out. Doesn't this look like a problem within the 1PW install rather than a PC problem? Two people are reporting the same issue here without having made changes to their system, without having security suites on their PC....

• Hi guys,

Do you have more than one user account on the system? I had one customer reported something like that and he said he had to uninstall 1Password in the other user account before it all starts to work normally.

Also, when you reboot, did you see Windows saying it needs to install updates?

It's very odd that it started to happen in 7.3.652 for you but not before since the new installer has been in beta for more than three weeks and we already had thousands of 652 installs without additional reports of this.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

@MikeT - No Mike, don't have more than one user account neither I have Windows updates due to install.

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hmm, we wish we could reproduce it. We force the termination of all 1Password related processes before we start the update but why would the system place a hold on it in the first place, there shouldn't be any.

Do you recall if you changed or enabled anything extra in Windows Defender on your computer, like adding 1Password to anti-tempering protection or something like that?

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

No Mike, I did not do anything like that. Can make somehow a manua install? I see in C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\1password\app\ the folder of the current version, a folder of the new version with the new files which do not install and finally a folder of the previos version. Could I just copy-paste the files into the C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\1password\app\7\ folder from the C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\1password\app\7.3.652 folder?

• Hi @pawo,

That's what the installer does, it renames 7 folder to 7.old and then rename 7.3.652 to 7.

Technically, the next time you see this, just moved 7/7.old away and press retry on 1Password installer, it'll complete the install for you.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Yes @MikeT, will do that next time.
    However, I want to share here now that the install now worked normally after I had switched off completely the Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection as well as the Firewall and Network Protection sections. This is strange and should not be like that. I have not made any entries there for 1PW, neither for anything else. Anyway it worked like that and after install I have switched all Defender stuff on again. Now waiting for the next 1PW update to see if it happens again.

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @pawo,

However, I want to share here now that the install now worked normally after I had switched off completely the Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection as well as the Firewall and Network Protection sections. This is strange and should not be like that. I have not made any entries there for 1PW, neither for anything else. Anyway it worked like that and after install I have switched all Defender stuff on again. Now waiting for the next 1PW update to see if it happens again.

That's very odd.

You could whitelist 1Password in the exclusion list in Windows Defender's settings instead of turning it off. It's in Virus and Threat Protection, you can click Manage Settings under Virus & threat protection settings and then add 1Password.exe to the exclusion list.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Ok, thank you @MikeT, I will try this whitelisting. Thanks a lot.

• We just shipped another update, hopefully, it works for you, @pawo.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT, no unfortunately it does not work. Te same as before and also the whitelisting in Defender doesn't work. Also, I now found out that it has nothing to do with the Defender. This was just a coincidence as I messed up changing 2 things at the same time. I had switched off the Defender and then I unintentionally manually started 1PW out of the folder C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\1password\app\7.3.652 which obviously worked and I thought it had installed correctly, So it is all still as it was. Now the new version 7.3.654 neither installs, as described above. It also doesn't work with Defender off or whitelisting. The only one workaround is that I have to stop all 1PW processes in the Windows Task Manager and then can manually rename the program folders as described above. But this is not realy a sustainable solution,

Maybe you have another idea what could be the problem here when I describe my following observation (not knowing if this might be all normal anyway): The folders cannot be renamed because they themselves or a file within them is "in use in another program". This "other program" seem to be 2 1PW processes which I can see in the Windows Task Manager being on all the time. As soon as I start Windows these are being started and on, even when I never started 1PW. That makes it impossible to move or rename the program folder until I stop those 2 1PW processes in the Task Manager. I suspect that this is the same problem with the intended 1PW installation routine, the folders cannot be renamed because always in use. Why are there those 2 1PW processes blocking the folders and files even when 1PW after Windows startup was never started? I hope I could describe understandably and that htis might shed some more light on the problem. Here are the two processes I am talking about:

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

The other strange thing to me is: Once I have stopped these 2 1PW processes in Task Manger and have started 1PW, they never come back until the next Windows re-start...see:

• @pawo one instance of 1Password with less memory used is communication support between browser and main app (the instance with more memory allocated). Do you have 1Password installed in Microsoft Edge by any chance?

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile , no I am using only Chrome browser...

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @pawo,

We think we know what's going on and working on an update to fix this.

Next time you see this error; open up %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app, do you see 7.old folder?

If yes, trash that folder and then click Retry.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

@MikeT, yes I always have this 7.old folder with the second last installed program version...ok, next time I will delete it and the Retry. I will then report back. Thanks a lot.

• Hi @pawo,

That folder is not supposed to stay around, that's the glitch. Trash it now and then the next update should go well.

It's not that 7 is locked, 1Password just can't rename it to 7.old if it already exists. We do clean up but it seems that in old beta builds, it didn't remove it. So we're adding a proactive measure to clean it up before starting the update.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

@MikeT, perfect! I deleted it. Thanks so much.

• 🤞Hopefully, that's it.

• Hi @pawo,

Can you check for the update, we've fixed the issues and it should work now.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT ,
    I can confirm, it works perfectly now. Thanks so much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's fantastic! Thanks for the update -- and your feedback all along. :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.