No more use of the Mac #6 version on FireFox ?

ichi
ichi
Community Member

Hello,
Yes, I use 1password since version #5 for Mac since 8 years or so. It is until now very useful but I recall that I had to buy several time the same versions depending on the way it was acquired : direct on site or through Apple store !
I remembered that I made inquiries to the support of 1password. I never got any help neither any answer…
So despite that I do use 1password everyday, I distrust it strategy. I always remember that I just had to pay for the same product without any explanation. This type of case : being forced to buy the exact same product twice depending on the commercial platform (Agile or Apple store) only happened once in nearly 30 year and this is with 1password.
Yes, I understand that the software company had to deal with the different changes from Apple regarding commercial practices or the way to implement the plugin to sync through a personal network either with Dropbox or eventually with iCloud. It was sometime very complex and difficult. Now the sync works quite well across my devices with iCloud.
I used it with Safari, Chrome and until now on FireFox.
Suddenly a few weeks ago, the plugin on FireFox became obsolete and request a new identification. Because of that I do not use anymore FireFox and I stick to Safari and Chrome for professional uses.
Is this a new way to make me paying for a new subscription ?
Should I then give up on FireFox because of 1password ? And will it be the same soon on Safari and Chrome ?
If it is the case then I will then move the password management toward the Apple system and abandon 1password.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90 on Chrome, 4.7.3 on Safari
OS Version: Max OS 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ichi
    ichi
    Community Member

After checking two correction :

• I use 1password since the Mac version #3
    • I did get answer and help with Megan and Jasper from 1password regarding the difficulties using the synchronization at the time it had to be done through WiFi from a Mac.
    • But I looked again through the mails (the request was not on the forum), I never received any answer concerning the commercial aspect : having to pay several time for same product depending on the platform Agile Web Solutions or Apple store.
  • ichi
    ichi
    Community Member

2nd comment :
    I just found the FireFox plugin for 1password ! This a good news :)

Very strangely, the right plugin did disappeared a few weeks ago. After a search on the FireFox plugin library, I just found a new version urging me to get new services. I couldn't see anymore the earlier one. Then –every time I opened FireFox– I had a very annoying subscription request for a new 1password account.

This fine now for me I will happily trash the commercial plugin and carry on with the use of the #6 version.

I hope not to be force one day to buy the #7 version (I just I had a look even that switch seems to be complicated) or a subscription with 1password. I am still annoyed with the commercial incident that I mentioned here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ichi: When you haven't paid for 1Password 7 and registered it with a license, or signed into a 1Password account if you have a membership, of course it's going to suggest you pay for it. I don't think that's unreasonable.

We recommend 1Password memberships since they include all the apps and updates, and do away with license confusion and sync configuration. But if you are intent on using licenses, it's recommended that you only purchase the version(s) you actually need. Just keep in mind that you're not entitled to use the version(s) you haven't paid for.

It sounds like you maybe installed the wrong thing. 1Password X works only with a 1Password membership. And to use the current release of 1Password for Mac, you'd need either a membership or a license purchased specifically for that version. You can find information on 1Password here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

1Password for Mac version 6 and 7 both work with the desktop extension:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ichi
    ichi
    Community Member

Hello Brenty,
    Thank you for taking time to answering.
    Still this adds making me confused about 1Password. And also I do not appreciate the insulting remark.
    Once I had to buy the same product of 1Password : one through the selling point of 1Password (Agile Web Solutions) and the second time for the same product via the Apple store.
    I am still not happy at all about that. I found no one to help me on that matter and have it sorted out.
    Remember that I use 1Password since 1Password 3 !

I bought all the update time after time the update. Now I start to be really fed up. Yes when the desktop extension was missing –for one reason that I still ignore–, I remembered that incident having to buy twice the same product. I wondered if this was a new way to make me paying for a new subscription ?

Also I think that your sentence :
    "Just keep in mind that you're not entitled to use the version(s) you haven't paid for."
    I read that point as being very insulting ! How can you express that ?
    I bought all versions of 1Password since the version #3 (not only the version #5 as I recalled initially in this thread) !
    I make a check I saw the receipts either Apple Store or Agile come as early as September 2009 : $69,95
    Then, I even bought MORE versions 1Password than I needed !
    This is very bad. I want to make a formal complain.

The only point Brenty that was intended to help was : "It sounds like you maybe installed the wrong thing."
    Yes, true and good remark : I was confused to see the desktop extension missing. I couldn't understand. That was not clear at all…
    After 10 year being a customer of 1Password, it seems that** I am no longer the customer you want**. Sorry to be me.

After reading your answers : no, I will no follow on the 1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever !

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ichi - It's a bit difficult for me to discuss specifics of years-ago transactions with you in a public forum, not just because of your privacy but also because I don't have all the details in front of me right off the cuff. However, I don't think brenty was being intentionally insulting. When you contact us in this forum, we don't know who your are initially, nor what you may have purchased over the years. But we do know that 1Password 7 for Mac is relatively new, and unless you're either a 1password.com member or you purchased a license pretty recently (within the last few months), then you're not licensed to use version 7. That's all he meant: to clarify that past purchases don't work for the current version.

If you'd be willing to write to us at sales@1password.com, we can help sort out what may have happened in the past, and see what we can do to work with you now. When you write in, you'll receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant that will include your Support ID number. Please post that number here, so we can track down your email and ensure this issue is dealt with quickly. Thanks! :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

@chi

As a user who reads the forums almost obsessively (I'm not an AgileBits staff member) I will just comment that many users believe that their licence is lifetime in the sense that it applies to all future versions of 1PW.

So when Brenty said

Just keep in mind that you're not entitled to use the version(s) you haven't paid for

he was not saying anything against you but just wondering if you were aware that a previous purchase did not entitle you to use 1PW7.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ichi: I was trying to clarify what seems to be a point of confusion about licensing, but I am sorry to have offended you with the way I explained it. :(

• ichi
    ichi
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hello Lars,
    Thank for your concerned about my privacy. This nice from 1PW :) !
    Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with the answer from @brenty as he implied with his comment that I was looking for an unpaid use of the version 7 of the app.
    Where on my post did I suggested that ? Was the title of my post not clear ?
    Is all that is because I wrote that if I do use 1password everyday, I distrust [its] strategy ?
    Is this the real reason ?…

I can read here the damage done when I read the awkward comment from @danco. No –as a long time customer of 1PW and many other software– I do not want to be made "aware" that "that a previous purchase did not entitle [me] to use 1PW7". Come on, please read my post and its title. And @Lars, I regret that with :+1: I see that you do agree to this comment that adds insult to injury. I came on this forum to ask for help and got none.
    No, no, no, I never ever implied or suggested that I wanted to use the 1PW7 version ! I just wanted to use the plugin for the 1PW6 !
    This is so odd to see these reactions after having spent time to explain that :

• After the plugin to use 1PW was missing in Firefox, the search in FireFox only shown only a plugin for a new 1PW7 ;
    • I thought I had no other choice that to subscribe to 1PW7 in order to use 1PW6 ;
    • I still have no clue on how the plugin for 1PW6 that I was using daily went missing ;
    • I finally found the plugin 1PW6 and informed and added this this threat _ I just found the FireFox plugin for 1password ! This a good news :)_ I was then very happy !

Then, the @brenty comments showed no care but misinterpretation :

• Not providing explanation but a short It sounds like you maybe installed the wrong thing
    • And an advertising post claiming 1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever
    • Then, implying that I was somehow looking for an unpaid use of 1PW7…
      Neither brenty nor danco acknowledged my choice to carry on with the use of the #6 version. I hope not to be force one day to buy the #7 version
      Was to express my choice that way and to be questioning the marketing strategy, the reason of these affirmations ?…

Thank you very much brenty to offer an apology but still and again : no, I had no confusion about licensing. Come on, I always bought the licenses of the 1PW app –since 1PW3– and even more than I should have paid !
    If I am confused about one thing, this is the marketing method to promote 1PW7 and to draw suspicion on someone who wanted to carry on the use of the 1PW6 version and with the right plugin.
    If I want to answer the same way as you did, then I could say : no, the 1PW6 is not for me the wrong thing !
    So please stop these affirmations that reads suspicions and implied allegations, and respect me if I am happy w/ the 1PW6.
    This is not bad for you.
    You still have a happy customer.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ichi - I'm sorry for any ongoing confusion, and I'll reiterate that I don't think anyone here intended any offense. We quite regularly have people who write to us both here and to our support@1password.com email address who DO think that a long-ago purchase applies to the current version. So it's not uncommon for us to see such requests, and we mean no harm by pointing out that's not the case. But I do apologize we misread what you were saying or asking us.

After the plugin to use 1PW was missing in Firefox, the search in FireFox only shown only a plugin for a new 1PW7

There isn't any such thing as a browser extension for version 6 vs. version 7. In Firefox, they use the same extension. However, there IS a difference between our traditional extension (which requires the companion 1Password app), and 1Password X The difference there is that 1Password X works only with a 1password.com account, not with local data. Is it possible you installed 1Password X instead of the extension that works with 1Password for Mac? It sounds as if you managed to get it sorted out eventually, but please don't hesitate to let us know if that's not the case. And please, don't ascribe motivations to us that we don't actually hold. We'll try not to give mistaken impressions. Sound good? :)

• ichi
    ichi
    Community Member

Hello @Lars Are your answers There isn't any such thing as a browser extension for version 6 vs. version 7. still correct concerning Safari ?
    I could not find the browser extension for version 6. And it seems that Safari force the use of a browser extension for version 7. Therefore, we end up having both 1PW 6 and 1PW 7 activated at the same time. Is there a way to use Safari with browser extension for version 6?
    Best regards.

• ichi
    ichi
    Community Member

Answering to myself : it looks like the version 7 is mandatory to use Safari.
    I would consider to get an update but it is impossible to figure out how to update the version 6. There is only a subscription version, I cannot see the license one.
    I feel that there is a similar issue in which I ended up buy same licence from 1PW site and from Apple store.
    Annoying…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ichi:

Answering to myself : it looks like the version 7 is mandatory to use Safari.

Yes, if you need to use Safari. You can read more about why this happened here.

I cannot see the license one

Please download 1Password 7 from our website and you will be prompted to purchase a license in-app. The App Store version only supports 1Password Memberships.

• ichi
    ichi
    Community Member

@ag_ana

The App Store version only supports 1Password Memberships

Oh, I see Ana. Thank you.
    Another question concerning the purchase of this update for safari use only : what is it the planned price for users of 1PW since version #3 ?
    There is no customer history that I could see on the web site and that could be taken in account for customer relationship. And in my case, I had to buy a certain version twice (from the website and from the Apple store) that was linked to synchronisation issues at the time.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ichi:

Licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac are regularly $64.99, but are currently on sale for $49.99. If you want us to take a look at your specific history, please feel free to email our sales team at sales@1password.com and they will be happy to help :)

This discussion has been closed.