Problem with 1Password since latest windows 10 update

Hi,

This seems to be happening since the latest update to windows 10 which I installed today. 1Password6 won't launch on startup and causes my system to hang. This also happens when opening a new browser tab (Chrome). I have the browser extension enabled too.

These are the event details in event viewer:

The description for Event ID 0 from source Application cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to start 1Password and open pipe.
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.OpenAppStream()
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.<ListenBrowserAsync>d__12.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.Main(String[] args)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to start 1Password and open pipe.
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.OpenAppStream()
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.<ListenBrowserAsync>d__12.MoveNext()<---

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Thanks

Will

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2018

Hi @willswain,

Thanks for reporting this. The last Windows Update has been causing a lot of problems, not just 1Password.

Try to uninstall 1Password via Control Panel, reboot, and install the latest version from here: https://1Password.com/downloads/ and reboot once more.

Let us know if it helps.

• smoakb
    smoakb
    Community Member

I wanted to shared that I not had or experienced the issue reported on my Windows 10 Build. Not sure if it will help the community.
    1Password Build 6.8.492
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7 6th Gen

2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4056891) -Installed 01/08
    As noted, there are a number of reports of issues with all vendors as they work to patch OS for x86 Processor Bugs that were recently made public.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@smoakb: You are correct. The issues seem to be specific for some configurations and builds, so it is hard to predict them. Hopefully, Microsoft will figure it out. :) Please let us know if you ever bump into troubles with 1Password, we will be happy to help. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• willswain
    willswain
    Community Member

Thanks MikeT that seems to have sorted the issue. I assume the Windows update somehow corrupted my 1Password installation.

All the best

Will

• Hi @willswain,

You're welcome.

Windows 10 Update come with updates for the .NET framework as well, which 1Password 6 uses. There were a few configurations where installing .NET 4.7.1 separately and then installing a Windows update that came with 4.7.1 already can result into a corrupted install for apps that target 4.6.1 like 1Password.

It's a mess. :chuffed:

• vishae
    vishae
    Community Member

I seem to be experiencing some issues as well.
    I had 1Password7, which wasn't opening after the Windows update. I uninstalled and tried reinstalling, but get an "IO error The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)" when trying to open the install file.

[2019-01-16 10:54:48.703375 +11:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:196: starter 7.3.657
    [2019-01-16 10:54:48.703375 +11:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:197: Logging to : 1Password\logs\setup
    [2019-01-16 10:54:48.703375 +11:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:264: Installing to: 1Password\app\7.3.657
    [2019-01-16 10:54:48.937746 +11:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:203: renaming 1Password\app\7 to 1Password\app\7.old
    [2019-01-16 10:54:48.937746 +11:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:203: renaming 1Password\app\7.3.657 to 1Password\app\7
    [2019-01-16 10:54:48.938744 +11:00] ERROR [starter] src\main.rs:106: IO error The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vishae: I think you're having a different problem with a very different Windows update -- this discussion is from just over a year ago. ;)

The error seems to indicate that some files are missing, or cannot be accessed. If you boot into Safe Mode to avoid interference from other software, uninstall 1Password, and install a fresh copy, that should do the trick:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Let me know how it goes! :)

• vishae
    vishae
    Community Member

@brenty oh, I'm sorry, I saw it said January and forgot that we're now in 2019...

I went into safe mode, uninstalled 1Password and reinstalled a fresh copy.
    I tried opening 1Password in safe mode, the app would open for about a couple of seconds, then crash and quit. When trying to open it again, 1Password would open with the message, "1Password quit unexpectedly" or something like that, and then it would crash and quit again. I could not get 1Password to stay open.

When trying to open 1Password in normal mode, 1Password won't even open.

On a different note (related to my original post), I should probably mention that when trying to install 1Password in normal mode, a "1Password" folder gets created in the Downloads folder (where the installation file resides) before I get the "IO error The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)" error message.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

oh, I'm sorry, I saw it said January and forgot that we're now in 2019...

@vishae: No need to apologize! I make the same mistake. :lol: Just want to make sure we're on the same page. :)

I went into safe mode, uninstalled 1Password and reinstalled a fresh copy. I tried opening 1Password in safe mode, the app would open for about a couple of seconds, then crash and quit. When trying to open it again, 1Password would open with the message, "1Password quit unexpectedly" or something like that, and then it would crash and quit again. I could not get 1Password to stay open. When trying to open 1Password in normal mode, 1Password won't even open.

That's definitely not normal. Thanks for the details! It sounds like you have one of two problems -- or perhaps both: a .Net issue, or some other software interfering with 1Password. Please disable "security" software or backup processes that might be locking files, uninstall 1Password, install .Net,

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2018/04/30/announcing-the-net-framework-4-7-2/

And then reinstall 1Password. Let me know how it goes.

On a different note (related to my original post), I should probably mention that when trying to install 1Password in normal mode, a "1Password" folder gets created in the Downloads folder (where the installation file resides) before I get the "IO error The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)" error message.

Thanks for that! It does sound like a symptom of some software interference, but we'll see what happens.

• raphaelmedeiros
    raphaelmedeiros
    Community Member

isn't works :'( do anyone have a solution?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@raphaelmedeiros: Can you be more specific?

This discussion has been closed.