2 Factor Authentication Not Working

typemgtst
typemgtst
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

Hello,
I've set up 2FA with the Google Authenticator app and I am able to set it up just fine. The problem is that the next day, when I go to login online, even though I type in the correct 6 digit code, it says it's incorrect. I have to try dozens of times on multiple browsers to get in. Once I eventually do, I can turn off 2FA and I find that all my recent passwords and updates then sync. This means to me that somehow, my Mac app is not authorized anymore and cannot make any changes to the cloud. This worries me as I do not receive any notifications that it cannot connect. Please help.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Incorrect 2FA code is usually due to incorrect time. The code is generated depending on the current time, and is usually valid for about thirty seconds. So if the time on your device is thirty seconds off, the generated code will be wrong. And you might easily fail to notice this small time difference.

If you happen to have another device with an authenticator, you could check if they give the same code.

Or you could simply try resetting the time. The one occasion I ran into this issue, I went to the Date and Time system preference, turned off Set Date and Time Automatically and then turned it on again. And that gave me a correct code, as the time had been reset.

• typemgtst
    typemgtst
    Community Member

I appreciate the comment but this is the only application out of the dozens I used my authenticator for that does not work after being set up. I try using a new, fresh code multiple times and it still doesn't work. It also doesn't explain why my Mac application does not sync until I disable 2FA after entering the 2FA code into the app on setup.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@typemgtst - obviously I believe you that this is the only app you're having trouble with, but we're not receiving a flood of this type of issue, which means it's less likely to be something wrong with the 1Password.com 2FA code implementation. Unfortunately, we're not really able to troubleshoot other developers' apps or individual users' network/time setups. What I'd recommend is disabling 2FA at 1password.com temporarily (and removing it from Google Authenticator) followed by a full restart of your Mac and any associated devices on your network (router, etc), and finally setting up 2FA again. Let us know how that works for you.

• typemgtst
    typemgtst
    Community Member

@Lars thanks. I’ve actually done that a few times and it’s still not working after a day or so. I’ll try it once more but it scares me that I won’t be able to access my settings again to disable if it goes wrong.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If your device isn't able to keep accurate time or the time/date/zone settings are incorrect it's definitely worth addressing.

• Whitaker
    Whitaker
    Community Member

Hello -

I'm having a very similar issue - when I signed up, one of the options was to use authy - I did but somehow there is no communication between Authy and 1Password in my case - I have 1Password installed on a desktop iMac but when I try to install on my iPhone or MacBook Air, it keeps asking for a six digit code but I don't have one to put in there

I've sent two messages to support and have not received any replies - help would be appreciated

Thanks - SBW

P.S. I contacted Authy and they don't seem to have 1Password as even listed as one of their compatible services

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Whitaker! I'm sorry for the trouble, as well as the delay in our reply. We've been experiencing a surge in our support requests lately, and are working through a bit of a backlog. Since we handle user questions/issues in the order we receive them, this can result in a bit of a delay. One of us will be with you shortly via email. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Whitaker: Just to clarify, we don't have a business relationship with Authy. It's just one of many apps that supports the open TOTP standard to generate one-time passwords. This isn't something that involves "communication" or money changing hands. It's just math. Anyway, I'll reply to you via email once I've responded to others who contacted us before you. Thanks for your patience.

ref: ZHS-83484-499

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hello,
    I too have a problem with authy and 1Password. When I try to activate 2FA in my account settings and I have to type in the 6 digit code for the first time, it always says it's the wrong code. Time is the same on both my PC and the iPhone (with the authy app). I have no problems with authy and other logins (amazon, dropbox etc..).
    Any ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@palmino: Different services have different timeouts for TOTP codes, so some will be less strict than 1Password.com as a result. Please manually set the date/time/zone on your device according to an official source like time.gov. I and others have found that helps, especially on Wi-Fi-only devices where there can be a delay in syncing.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

@brenty You were right, I managed to activate 2FA eventually after manually setting the time on both devices (PC and iPhone).
    Thanks a lot for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! I'm glad that helped. It can definitely be tough to track down. Cheers! :chuffed:

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Hello, I am having 2FA issues with Reddit. Weeks ago I successfully set up 2FA at Reddit. I received the QR image, scanned it, was sent 10 codes to keep, in like flint. Recently I have restored both my iPhone SE and 10.5" iPad Pro, redownloading Authenticator. Yesterday, I cannot get Reddit to send anything to Authenticator. Nothing shows after asking for the 6 digit code from Authenticator. Authenticator is blank. I have checked my 17,1 iMac's time setting, it is exact as Time.Gov. None of the 10 codes work at Reddit. 1Password keeps asking me to setup 2FA where possible, but I wish I had never heard of it. Apples 2FA works everytime.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto: It doesn't sound like that has anything to do with 1Password. Can you clarify?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Maybe not. Is there anyway to stop 1P from alerting me every time 2FA is available? I won’t be using it after this mess. Apple does a good job but 1 don’t trust anyone else.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@blackxacto Maybe this setting:

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Great, I’ll try it, thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

@blackxacto: Rather than disabling the check for everything, if you just want to have 1Password not warn you about a specific item not having a TOTP secret saved in 1Password (to generate the one-time password), you can add the tag 2FA to it. Does that help? I think that would be better than not using two-factor authentication for anything. I agree that Apple's is really well done though. :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Thank you, yes, I can do that. Appreciate everyones responses. The thing is, if I have this issue again, there is no way to communicate with the site, but even if I find a way, since I didn't sign in, they have no idea who I am. Not sure I will trust 2FA, except w Apple.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto: I hear you. I can't really speak to that, but in my experience nearly all (as in only one was something different) issues with TOTP codes not being accepted are because of a time/date/zone sync issue, and manually setting that resolves it. Worth a try. :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

I checked my computer against Time.gov. My computer is dead on down to seconds. How would I resolve time if the time is matched. Is there another aspect of time? I'm willing to try anything.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

I changed the computer to no auto syncing. Rebooted and turned auto syncing back on.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto: The only other things to check there would be the date and time zone settings. I've encountered cases where the only thing that worked was setting them all manually. It's rare, but drift is not. And depending on the service there can be wider or narrower windows in which codes are valid. I don't have any experience with Reddit in particular though, so it may be better to get in touch with them to see if there are other things that might help.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

I finally understand why time is a factor. they only give us a few secs. my zone and date are fine too. Who knows what happened.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah... Usually websites give at least 30 seconds to use the code, and often some leeway on either side of that. But it depends on how they have it set up.

• justmeettheman
    justmeettheman
    Community Member

Having the same problem. Seems to have started this month. Finally had to setup Google authenticator app on phone where it seems to work fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear that helped. I haven't used their app in a while, but I know that some do their own separate time check.

• eriklove2019
    eriklove2019
    Community Member

I'm having a problem with 2FA on 1Password. I successfully set up 2FA with Google Authenticator several months ago. Now, across multiple machines, I am told I have an incorrect 2FA code when trying to sign in.

I have tried resetting the time on several machines. That has not corrected the issue. Other 2FA codes for generated by Google Authenticator are working properly for other logins. The issue appears to be on 1Password's end.

Please advise on how to bypass 2FA temporarily so I can disable it until this issue is fixed. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@eriklove2019 - we've not had any kind of mass reporting of 2FA outages/inconsistencies, but I'm sorry for the trouble you're experiencing. If you're certain it's nothing to do with the times on your devices (turning off automatic time sync, then turning it back on after a bit usually clears these things up), then we'll need to handle this a different way. Please send an email to support+forum@1password.com and include a link to this thread. You'll receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant which will contain a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can "connect the dots" and ensure this issue is dealt with quickly. Thanks! :)

• eriklove2019
    eriklove2019
    Community Member

@Lars Thank you for your prompt response. I have sent a message to the email address you provided.

I received this Support ID number from BitBot: #YQP-77629-457

This discussion has been closed.