Share Private Vault?

Mr. K.
Mr. K.
Community Member

I opened a membership and my intent was to share my private vault with my wife. I guess this is an oxymoron! Anyway, I need to allow her access to my vault so she can see the info without being able to modify anything. Since I cannot share my private vault, then would moving everything from the private vault to a shared vault be the way for me to achieve the access I want her to have?

Also, is there a way to delete a private vault?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Mr. K.

I opened a membership and my intent was to share my private vault with my wife. I guess this is an oxymoron!

Indeed. :)

Anyway, I need to allow her access to my vault so she can see the info without being able to modify anything. Since I cannot share my private vault, then would moving everything from the private vault to a shared vault be the way for me to achieve the access I want her to have?

Yep! You can read more about that here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

Also, is there a way to delete a private vault?

There is not... not without deleting the account that owns the vault.

Ben

• Also, is there a way to delete a private vault?

What you can do is change your default vault for saving passwords from Private to Shared (or any other shareable vault) and then simply ignore the Private vault. This is a per-client setting, though, so you'll have to change Vault for Saving (in Vault preferences) in each app separately.

• Good point. You can also remove the Private vault from the All Vaults view. Instructions on that (as well as changing the Vault for Saving) can be found here:

Use All Vaults to see all your items at once | 1Password

Ben

• dpkform
    dpkform
    Community Member

Hi Ben.

I have a similar question about sharing passwords with my wife. I just started with the family plan, wonder if we would be better off to share a single user. We want to share everything by default. If this means we must share an account to share everything automatically the that’s what we would do.

Problem I see with using a shared family vault is that another “step” is required. Also we want to share everything with each other, but not with anyone else. Our daughter will soon be old enough to start using passswords of her own.

I understand that some couples prefer things to be private by default, but we want to share everything by default. A similar example where this “forced” privacy is problematic for us is Apple’s iCloud photos. We both want to able to see all of each other’s photos by default. Not possible in iCloud photos. We can choose to add selected photos to a shared family album, but that’s a PITA. Another example where the inability to default to sharing everything between spouses is very frustrating for us.

What would you recommend?

• @dpkform

I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction.

Our daughter will soon be old enough to start using passswords of her own.

Is it possible that you'll want to share some 1Password items with her (e.x. WiFi password, garage door code, combination to the safe, information about where to find vital records, etc)?

Problem I see with using a shared family vault is that another “step” is required.

It would require some additional setup, as described above, but once established wouldn't really require anything additional.

I understand that some couples prefer things to be private by default, but we want to share everything by default.

Are there any items which you would not want to share with each other?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.