Family Member Authorize another device

Options
Mr. K.
Mr. K.
Community Member

I've invited my wife to access my membership account. I have things working on her iPhone. Now how do I set up her iPad?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

@Mr. K.

This page should help:

Get the 1Password apps

:)

Ben

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

That does not seem to work for what I need. I am the administrator, she is a family member. I need to know how to get her iPad to connect to the shared vaults.

• Ben
    Options

@Mr. K.

What does she see currently when she opens 1Password on her iPad?

Ben

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

She sees her vault synced on Dropbox, and our shared vault synced on Dropbox. In other words nothing different than before with the standalone version.

Let me add that I sent an invite to give her access on her iPhone. I used the link and that worked for her iPhone. When I went to her iPad and tried the link, it said it had expired. I tried to send another invite, but 1P said I have already sent an invite to her email address (which is true).

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to sign in using my email and my master password, but that is not how it should be since now she has access to my private vault.

• Ben
    Options

I was able to sign in using my email and my master password, but that is not how it should be since now she has access to my private vault.

That's correct; she should be using her credentials. Has she already migrated her personal data into 1Password.com? If she is able to see her data when she logs in at 1Password.com then she has. If so she can uninstall and reinstall 1Password and follow the instructions in the guide I linked above (again, she'll need to use her credentials, not yours).

Ben

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I cannot find any login for her for 1Password.com. This is very confusing. I opened a family account under my name. I want to share with her. I was able to get it working on her iPhone, but not on her iPad (yet). I try to login to 1Password.com and it asks for her secret key. I have no secret key for her.

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I deleted her access and tried to set it up again. Now I recall what happened the first time since it happened again. On her iPhone it says "Download the emergency kit." I press the button, and then it says Safari can't open the page. Not good, then it's gone.

ref: apple-2092

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019
    Options

@Mr. K.

Deleting her account shouldn't have been necessary, and seems like an incredibly risky way to troubleshoot this issue. Deleting a 1Password account deletes all of the data stored within it, so hopefully she still has her data elsewhere. The iPhone would've had her Secret Key stored. Is she logged into her new account on the iPhone at this point, after deleting & recreating? If she is you can find her Secret Key in 1Password > Settings > 1Password Accounts > her account > Reveal Your Secret Key. You can also select View Setup Code which will display the same QR code that would be on an Emergency Kit or the Get the Apps page described above. That Setup Code can be scanned using the camera on the iPad within the 1Password app to fill in her sign-in address, email address, and Secret Key.

There is currently a bug with the 1Password web interface that prevents viewing of the Emergency Kit. Hopefully that is something we can get sorted soon.

Ben

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

She does not have an account. She is on my account as a family member. All of her data is stored in my account and I share it with her. I manage it for her.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019
    Options

That's not quite how it works. :) You have a 1Password Families membership. Within that membership is your account, and also her account. Your account is the Family Organizer (it is possible to have multiple Family Organizers, if desired). When you invite her to join your membership and she goes through the process of accepting that invitation she is creating an account within your membership. That account will have entirely separate credentials from yours, even though they are part of the same membership.

Does that help in defining the distinction between a membership and an account?

Ben

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

There is no account for her on my MacBook Pro or her iPhone. I sent her an invitation and she accepted. It may not have completed because of the viewing of the Emergency Kit bug (on her iOS devices). She does not have a user on my MacBook Pro, and she does not have anything other than her iPhone and iPad.

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

I have her account working on her iPhone now. I have to say this is not easy. I did so by going to 1Password.com on her iPhone and logging her in there. It's easy to set up my other devices since I am the account manager (family leader). The confusion comes from setting up HER other devices. I can find no info in the 1P support info that explains how to do that.

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

OK, now I have her iPad working. I deleted the app there, reinstalled, then I went to add account and her account showed there so all I needed to do was enter her master password. I hope this helps you 1P folks know that his process needs to be made clearer. That is how does a person set up an iPhone and iPad for a family member who was using the standalone version. It took me a day and a lot of help form you Ben and I appreciate your help.

• Ben
    Options

It's easy to set up my other devices since I am the account manager (family leader). The confusion comes from setting up HER other devices. I can find no info in the 1P support info that explains how to do that.

It isn't any different of a process. The fact that you are a Family Organizer has no bearing on how additional devices sign in to your account.

OK, now I have her iPad working. I deleted the app there, reinstalled, then I went to add account and her account showed there so all I needed to do was enter her master password. I hope this helps you 1P folks know that his process needs to be made clearer. That is how does a person set up an iPhone and iPad for a family member who was using the standalone version. It took me a day and a lot of help form you Ben and I appreciate your help.

When an account is added to one iOS device the non-Master Password credentials are stored in iCloud Keychain to facilitate easier adding of additional Apple devices. It sounds like that's what happened: once you got her signed in on her iPhone those credentials became aailable on her iPad as well via iCloud Keychain. That should be the process going forward on any future Apple devices as well. If she ever wants to add a non-Apple device (or an Apple device that isn't signed into her iCloud account) this guide should help:

https://support.1password.com/get-the-apps/?ios

I'm glad to hear you were ultimately able to get it sorted. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.