Standalone vs. Membership

As discussed here (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/485431/#Comment_485431) I'm interested in 1Password but I'm not shure if I should buy a Standalone license or a Membership.

Basicly I don't want to have all my passwords available online like it would be when buying a Membership. I want to use a local database which will be synced via 3rd party cloud. That's why I would like to buy a Standalone license without a 1Passwort account. With the help of the 1Password extension I should be able to fill in passwords into Vivaldi browser. On my smartphone I would install the 1Password app and buy the pro-version via in-app. Am I thinking in the right way?

But there is another important question: Is there a portable version of 1Password which I can use via USB-Stick with the help of the 1Password extension? On work I'm not allowed to install software on my computer. I only could install the 1Password extension into the browser. Is this possible?

Is it right that the difference between the 1Password extension and 1Password X is that for X I need a membership but I don't need the desktop app? Then it looks like "LastPass" where I also don't need a desktop app and all is made in the browser. And that's what I do not want to have anymore... :|

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MeekMeek

Team Member

Hey @DenalB,

Thanks for writing in! I'd be happy to clarify things for you and hopefully help you make this decision.

Yes, you could indeed purchase a standalone license, sync your data through Dropbox or iCloud to the 1Password iOS app. Pro Features are not required to sync your Primary vault, but they do add a few more features and functionality. There is no way to have a portable version of 1Password on a USB stick, however.

You're correct that the 1Password extension does require a desktop app to be installed, whereas 1Password X does not (although it does require a membership).

In the end, the choice is up to you, however it sounds like in order to use 1Password at work, you would need to go the membership route and install 1Password X in your browser at work. We are very confident about the security of our memberships - I'd highly recommend reading through our security page, and our white paper if you want to learn more details.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

• Thanks @Meek for clarifying a little. @Ben already gave me some links to read... But still there is this questionmark over my head. ;)

"...however it sounds like in order to use 1Password at work, you would need to go the membership route and install 1Password X in your browser at work..."
    Sounds like "LastPass". :(

Now you have 2 extensions... "1Password" and "1Password X". Do you have the intention to let the "old" extension die? And the desktop app still isn't needed anymore when everybody uses "1Password X". What are your plans about that in the future?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

1Password X will always be able to work independently of a desktop application as that is the only way we're able to get a 1Password experience on ChromeOS. As for if it is possible 1Password X and the 1Password extension will "merge" at some point... I don't have any news to share on that. That is simply a decision that has not been made. We are looking at the possibility of adding integration with 1Password for Mac so that unlocking 1Password X would unlock 1Password for Mac, and vice versa. I can't make any promises on that front, but it is something we're considering. Beyond that, we don't discuss future plans.

As for your work situation... I don't know what else we could really offer there considering you're not able to install applications. The 1Password apps require too much integration with the system to be run from a USB drive. You specifically mentioned that you cannot install applications and can only install a browser extension... that is exactly the scenario that 1Password X covers. It does not sound like a standalone license would be sutible for your situation as you'd be unable to use it at work.

To be clear: with a membership you could use the desktop apps at home with the "traditional" extension, and then use 1Password X at work. You can mix-and-match. There is nothing that says if you are going to use 1Password X in one place that you have to use it everywhere.

Ben

• DenalBDenalB
    edited January 2019

"It does not sound like a standalone license would be sutible for your situation as you'd be unable to use it at work."
    "To be clear: with a membership you could use the desktop apps at home with the "traditional" extension, and then use 1Password X at work."

That souns like a big pro criteria for the membership...

"You can mix-and-match. There is nothing that says if you are going to use 1Password X in one place that you have to use it everywhere."
    That's a very good point. Also the costs of a membership are cheaper then buying a standalone license every year and the pro-version of the app... I have to think about it.

Is there any function that is only available in the desktop app? What is your opinion... Would you use the desktop app or only "1Password X" in the browser? Is the only difference that I'm able to use my vault while in offline mode with the desktop app?

Thanks for discussing this with me. :)

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

Let me add that you referred to syncing via 3rd party cloud. Once you are using cloud syncing rather than working purely locally you might as well use 1password.com. True, it may be more of a target than (say) Dropbox, but against that it is more controlled and attacks are less likely to get anything at all. And all that is on 1password.com is encrypted data that cannot be decrypted without the Master Password and Secret Key, which are only stored locally.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

And all that is on 1password.com is encrypted data that cannot be decrypted without the Master Password and Secret Key, which are only stored locally.

Great point. :) This is one of the primary reasons the Secret Key exists: to reduce the chance that we will be a target. If we aren't storing any data that would be useful to an attacker they are less likely to attack us. It also helps even if we are attacked. Even if someone were to attack us and steal encrypted 1Password data... brute forcing the encryption would be impractical in part because of the Secret Key.

Is there any function that is only available in the desktop app? What is your opinion... Would you use the desktop app or only "1Password X" in the browser? Is the only difference that I'm able to use my vault while in offline mode with the desktop app?

Yes, I'm sure there are some functions that can be done in the desktop app but not 1Password X. The biggest one that comes to mind is editing items. 1Password X will take you to the 1Password.com web interface in order to edit any items, whereas the desktop apps can do that directly. Personally I use both the desktop apps and 1Password X, sometimes on the same computer. On my MacBook I use Chrome and I have both 1Password X and the traditional 1Password extension installed in that along with the desktop application. That may be overkill for most people. One or the other is probably fine. I guess at this stage if you have access to the desktop app (e.x. at home where you can install applications) I'd probably recommend doing so. That said 1Password X is a very powerful tool, and we do have some customers that use it (plus the web interface) exclusively.

Thanks for discussing this with me. :)

You're very welcome. Happy to do so.

Ben

• "Once you are using cloud syncing rather than working purely locally you might as well use 1password.com."
    Nice point @danco ... ;)

"This is one of the primary reasons the Secret Key exists: to reduce the chance that we will be a target. If we aren't storing any data that would be useful to an attacker they are less likely to attack us."
    "I guess at this stage if you have access to the desktop app (e.x. at home where you can install applications) I'd probably recommend doing so. That said 1Password X is a very powerful tool, and we do have some customers that use it (plus the web interface) exclusively."

Thanks @Ben ! :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're very welcome. :+1:

Ben

• Just to inform you: I started the 30-days trial of your membership. I'm looking forward to test all the features... :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Great! Let us know if you have any questions along the way. :)

Ben

• Thanks @Ben . I will definitely do. :)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

:):+1:

• One question I have already. Today I got an update for "1Password iOS" and the changelog says the following:

"Good day, everyone! Today's update adds support for an upcoming App Store promotion. If you've been waiting to sign up for a 1Password.com membership, you'll want to watch this space between the 15th and the 31st."

What does this mean? Is there a special price when starting membership? Actually I don't see any price change? Is this promotion only for the iOS app?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Nothing to announce at this moment. We'll have more to share soon, I'm sure. ;)

• "We'll have more to share soon, I'm sure."
    Would be great... ;)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Always feel free to write in to [email protected] to see what if any promotions might be available for your situation. Not all promos are applicable to all situations, but our sales team can help. :)

Ben

• Thanks @Ben ! :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• @Ben
    "Yes, I'm sure there are some functions that can be done in the desktop app but not 1Password X. The biggest one that comes to mind is editing items."
    I found a thing that is only possible with the help of the desktop app - move all logins to another region or better to another account. I did this from .COM to .EU and therefore I had to use the desktop app. :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited January 2019

Good catch... Yep, that is true. Fortunately that isn't something that should need to be done frequently.

Ben

• You're right Ben. :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion. :+1:

Ben

• DenalBDenalB
    edited January 2019

@Ben ,

"Always feel free to write in to [email protected] to see what if any promotions might be available for your situation."
    This was a great idea. Thanks for that. I got a discount and so I subscribed to the membership. :)

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@DenalB - great! Hope you enjoy it. :):+1:

• Thanks @Lars . I think I will. :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

:)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.