Need best practice recommendation for bank accounts

Options
majortom
majortom
Community Member

Hey,

I need a best practice recommendation for adding bank accounts to 1Password.

My bank has

• online web access
  • credit card
  • checking account

If I use the 1Password categories, I will have three items: Login, Bank Account and Credit Card.
Is this the optimal solution?

Or should I add only a Login item and add the Credit Card and Bank Account details with sections/custom fields?

Best regards
Tom

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's a good question. I'm not sure anyone would agree on what is "optimal", but probably we can all agree that we'd like to find a way to streamline things in the future. ;)

Ultimately it's up to you how you organize things. Whatever makes sense to you is probably best for your use. However, there is one important consideration: for things you want 1Password to be able to fill, you should use the appropriate item template:

• For login credentials you want to be able to fill in your browser using 1Password, you should use a Login item.
    • For payment information you want to be able to fill in your browser using 1Password, you should use a Credit Card item.
    • For personal information you want to be able to fill in your browser using 1Password, you should use an Identity item.

Other than that, you can use whatever item type, custom fields, etc. that you wish, as the function of everything else is just to store it securely so you can easily access it.

One example from my own use that might be interesting is frequent flier programs. Logically, there's an argument to be made for have two items for most of these: a Login for filling, and a Membership for the account info. But more and more I find myself preferring to just have a Login item (since I mostly use this stuff online) and then add the account details in other fields in that Login, instead of using a separate Membership item for that.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• majortom
    majortom
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Brenty,

thanks for your detailed answer. I'm curious what usabiilty and feature improvements will come :-)

It would be very cool, if it will be possible to combine various categories in one item
    or to add special category fields like password, username, credit card type and nummber to every item.

I prefer your way to reduce the items and have all information (e.g. Online Bank Login, Credit Card Info, Account Info) in one item.

I will play the next days with 1Password and hopefully find a good way to organize my data :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree. That would be cool. Maybe we can find a way to do something like that in the future. Enjoy 1Password! :)

• Nebes
    Nebes
    Community Member
    Options

Does that mean that one Bank Account item can't have more than one type of account number added? I came here looking on how to add my additional account numbers and it only seems to be possible manually.

If that's the case, it results in a lot of redundancy, as the routing number, PIN, branch, etc are the same and the only unique field would be the account type and number.

I'm fine with different-but-related items, like the Login item for my online banking being separate and linked to the Bank Account item, but I definitely don't want to make four different Bank Account items for the same bank.

• Ben
    Options

@Nebes

You could use custom sections to store additional accounts within the same bank on a single Bank Account item, e.x.:

Does that help?

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have separate Bank Account items for separate accounts, because that makes sense to me. But Ben's suggestion is a good one if it makes sense to you to keep it all in a single item. Cheers! :)

• gedankenexperimenter
    Options

One thing I think would make this easier would be to make links between items bi-directional, so if I link a Bank Account entry to a Login entry, each one will show a link to the other. Right now, I have to manually create two links every time I want to associate two items with each other.

It would also be great if, when moving or copying items simultaneously between vaults, links between those items could be reconstructed automatically.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

One thing I think would make this easier would be to make links between items bi-directional, so if I link a Bank Account entry to a Login entry, each one will show a link to the other. Right now, I have to manually create two links every time I want to associate two items with each other.

I agree completely. This is high on my personal wish list.

It would also be great if, when moving or copying items simultaneously between vaults, links between those items could be reconstructed automatically.

This as well. Both are on our radar, and have support both in the 1Password userbase and within the company.

Hopefully we'll be able to add something like that. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

+1 2x ;)

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.