To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

My MacBook Pro is running El Capitan and cannot run Sierra. How can I sync with 1PW 7?

Options
krgraham
krgraham
Community Member

I cannot update my 2009 MacBook Pro to Sierra. Right now I can sync 1PW 6 without problems, but if I update to 1PW 7 on my iMac and iOS devices it appears I will lose the ability to sync my passwords with my MacBook. Is there a way around this?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:mountain lion sync 1password 7

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@krgraham: What OS and 1Password versions are you using on the old Mac?

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    Options

El Capitan OS 10.11.6 and 1PW 6.8.9

• bh444
    bh444
    Community Member
    Options

I hope this works for as long as El Capitan gets security updates.

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    Options

So what's the answer? Can I sync between 1PW 6 on one computer and 1PW 7 on the other? Do I need a membership in order to do this? I've been a stand-alone customer since the first version was released.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@bh444

I hope this works for as long as El Capitan gets security updates.

El Capitan still get security updates. I jusr had one a week or 2 ago

@krgraham
    You’re in the same boat with me and we are stuck with 1Password 6. I want to update my MacBook, but I’m not getting a new computer until Intel has the meltdown issue fixed.

You need Sierra or later to use 1Password 7

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bh444: 1Password 6 will almost certainly continue working indefinitely on El Capitan, as Apple almost certainly won't be releasing any updates that change the OS, just critical security fixes (and those will likely cease in a few months as well). 1Password 6 will not self-destruct; it simply won't receive further updates except where absolutely critical.

That said, we definitely recommend keeping up to date with OS and browser updates since those are the foundation of operational security on computing devices — and since we're all ostensibly using 1Password to help keep us secure, and not doing that seriously hampers that effort.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You’re in the same boat with me and we are stuck with 1Password 6. I want to update my MacBook, but I’m not getting a new computer until Intel has the meltdown issue fixed.

@prime: I would like to do that, but I simply can't wait much longer. These machines are getting old and slow, and I may not be able to update in the near future. Fortunately the OS vendors have been on top of pushing out patches to mitigate vulnerabilities. A bit of a performance hit, but I'll take it. Still going to be faster than if I don't get a new machine at all! :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So what's the answer? Can I sync between 1PW 6 on one computer and 1PW 7 on the other? Do I need a membership in order to do this? I've been a stand-alone customer since the first version was released.

@krgraham: So long as you're using an OPVault, you'll be able to sync between 1Password 7 and 1Password 6 using Dropbox, or sync using iCloud (which doesn't involve an external vault for syncing). I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    Options

If I'm running 1Password 7 and 1Password 6 on different machines, can I use a 1password.com account with both versions or do I need to continue to use Dropbox (or iCloud)?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@krgraham Hope this helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@krgraham: Either will work. But you don't need to use iCloud or Dropbox with a 1Password membership -- you just sign into your account and you're all set. What OS versions do you have there?

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    Options

my iMac is running Mojave, but an "old" 2009 MacBook Pro is limited to El Capitan and 1PW 6.8.9.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@krgraham: Thanks for letting me know. 1Password 6 is not longer being developed, but that will continue to work until something else changes. And there's no problem syncing between that and 1Password 7. It sounds like you should be all set, but if you have any other questions at all just let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.