Share a private vault from my Teams (work) account with someone (family) who is not a team member

My company of 12 people uses 1Password for Teams. I have several vaults that are shared, and a private vault that is not shared. I would like to share most of the passwords in the private vault with my wife, and perhaps split that into 2 vaults, 1 for private work passwords (not shared with anyone) and 1 for private passwords to share w/ my wife.

I know that we could get a Families Account included with a 1Password for Business account, but we don't have that, we have Teams.

I don't mind paying for a Families Account, if my wife can then share the relevant passwords. I would prefer not to have to log into 2 separate accounts and go back and forth all the time. So, at face value, I'd prefer to share my private vault in my Teams (work) account with her, rather than setting up a 2nd account for myself and having to bounce back and forth between account logins.

Key outcomes: 1. maintain private vault in my Teams account (for work-related but not shared passwords). 2. Share some passwords with my wife. 3. avoid lots of logging in hassle.

Am I giving you enough background? What would you recommend?

Many thanks.

1Password Version: Window 7.3.657. iOS 7.2.5.
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Win 10; iOS 12.1.2
Sync Type: not sure
Referrer: forum-search:I'd like to share a private vault from my Teams (work) account with someone (family) who is not a team member

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alex_moss: You would need two 1Password memberships to accomplish what you're trying to do. It is not possible to share the Personal/Private vault under any circumstances, and you should not give someone else access to your company account. And, frankly, it's not a good idea to keep non-company stuff in a company account at all, since they could remove your access at any time.

Whether that means you pay for a separate 1Password Families account yourself or get one paid through the company (if they switch to 1Password Business -- we'll be happy to help with that at business@1password.com ), that account would be entirely under your control and you could invite any family members you want without compromising your company account. Even if the company ends up paying for your 1Password Families account, if they stop at any time you will not lose access to it; you would simply need to setup billing for it again yourself.

As far as "logging in hassle", all of our apps allow you to add multiple accounts and use them concurrently. So the concern there isn't that it would be hard, but that you may accidentally save information in the wrong place if you're not paying attention. I hope this helps. Let me know what you think. :)

• alex_moss
    alex_moss
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you, this is exactly the guidance I was looking for. I think I need to move the personal stuff to a Families account to permit sharing w/ my wife. One follow up, what was bugging me about the 2-account scenario originally: if I have multiple accounts, in order to go back and forth, how do I avoid having to constantly type in the two different master passwords? I assume they have to be unique...or is it only the secret key that is unique? Sorry, I'm getting use to it and it's a bit blurry in my mind. Thanks.

• Hello @alex_moss,

When you add an account to a 1Password app, that first account becomes the primary account and its master password will be used to unlock the app.

You only need to enter the master password for additional accounts when you are adding them to the app. '

Let us know if you have any questions about how that works.

• alex_moss
    alex_moss
    Community Member

I think I'm good for the time being, following both of your guidance -- I have a families account set up, vaults set up, and invitations out to my family. I think I'm getting the hang of it, we'll see. Thanks very much so far, and I'll be back to the forum or to this thread if and when I get stuck getting my family members on board. Very much obliged.

• Glad we could help! :+1:

• alex_moss
    alex_moss
    Community Member

Me too. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.