windows need to be able to read my passwords

nsegura
nsegura
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have a 6.1 family account, my password and a 1Password license key. I don’t have a secret key, nor a scan code when I go to import the license key it only accepts 7 I am so very upset that my passwords are being held hostage (read-only for me). This happens every time there is an upgrade. There is no one to call to help me. The auto emails send me to help links that don't help. I am very frustrated and cant be the only one.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: chrome
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @nsegura,

Thanks for writing in.

I don't know what you mean by 6.1 family account but we don't offer license keys for 1Password 6. Only 1Password 4 had license keys and 1Password 7 accepts license files.

1Password.com Family accounts do not come with licenses either, your 1Password.com account is what unlocks the registration.

If you're seeing read-only mode, it means you're using a standalone vault, not a 1Password.com account.

I don't see any 1Password account nor 1Password 7 licenses with your forum's email address. So, I'm going to presume you have a license key for 1Password 4. If that's the case, you can download 1Password 4 from the bottom right here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

Be sure to uninstall 1Password 7 before you install 1Password 4 and you can then enter your license key via Help Menu > Enter license key.

Note: 1Password 4 is now a legacy product, we won't be shipping any more updates to it.

• nsegura
    nsegura
    Community Member

so i should not have installed 1password7 because i have 1password4? how would i have known that since it was offered to me? the user name has a typo it should be n.segura@metaspireconsulting.com so now i need to uninstall 1password 7 for a legacy product or pay $2.99 month right?

• nsegura
    nsegura
    Community Member

my license file is *1password

• nsegura
    nsegura
    Community Member

yes i have 1Password 4 for Windows (Family License)

• We didn't prompt anyone to update from 1Password 4 to 1Password 7, @nsegura, precisely because it is a paid upgrade. "Here's an upgrade! Now give us money." Totally, rude, right? You mentioned 6.1 – any chance you had 1Password 6 at some point and never fully uninstalled it? That's my best guess at how you could have ended up getting a prompt to update to 1Password 7. We've not touched the 1Password 4 code since 7 was released, so 4 has no idea 7 even exists.

Regardless, if you'd like to continue using your existing license, you would want to go back to 1Password 4, as Mike described. Of course, you're welcome to upgrade to 1Password 7, if you'd like. Totally up to you. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.