Yikes .. Help. I need the location of the local vault on the Mac

rr0ss0rr
rr0ss0rr
Community Member
edited January 2019 in Families

I have a family account .. I have a local vault on my Mac (Which I know the password to). Unfortunately, My Mac had to be replaced and the new Mac arrived today. I tried going into 1Password on my iPhone and it's asking for my master password (I rebooted the phone today with the new IOS update. May local vault password isn't working on the phone and I can't remember my true 1Password/Family password. I was hoping to install 1Password on the new Mac and load the local vault from the Time Machine backup to get me back. Will this work? I tried booting into my CCC backup and that appears to be hanging .. So I'm getting a little nervous.

P.S. My local Vault has all my 1Password account credentials

Thanks
Richard

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rr0ss0rr: I'd suggest trying any Master Passwords you might have used, as that sounds like accessing what you have on the iPhone may be the quickest way to get to your data. Please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly.

Getting back to the question, you really haven't provided enough information to answer it very helpfully, since you omitted all the requested version information. And knowing where/how you were syncing the data would probably help even more. If you backed up everything with Time Machine, that should help. But in order to not lead you on a wild goose chase I'd need to know what you were using on the Mac as far as the OS and 1Password versions at the very least. Let me know, and I can point you in the right direction. :)

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Sorry. Mac latest 10.13. 1Password is at the latest release. I have a CCC Clone backup and a time machine backup. The local vault is also synced to iCloud

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rr0ss0rr: Thanks! No sync then? You should be able to find 1Password's support folder in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits. I'd just restore that in the same place on the new(?) Mac, and then install and run 1Password. If it's as you've said, that should work just fine. Let me know how it goes. :)

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Thanks. it's also synced to iCloud. Is there a Restore from iCloud option? How should I install 1Password on the Mac not knowing the 1Password.com account info?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rr0ss0rr: That would be much easier then. Forget what I said and just select the iCloud option under "Used 1Password before?" to setup the app with your existing data. It's important not to treat sync as a backup, because it's not, but in this case just syncing the data from there should get you back up and running much more quickly than digging through the backup(s).

I will also add that if all of your 1Password data is in iCloud, and you don't know the Master Password for what you've setup on the iPhone, it's probably not a bad idea to delete the app, reinstall it, and then sync the data there from iCloud as well. :)

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member

@brenty, Thanks, The only thing I keep in my local vault is the 1Password Family Login info/credentials. All my other vaults are on 1Password.com. Going to Install now. Thanks for the quick response

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member

I chose the Sync using iCloud option and it prompts for the password. Is that the Local password? It's not working .. I know I'm getting old and I've been without my Mac for 2 weeks, but I'm questioning my senility

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, The only thing I keep in my local vault is the 1Password Family Login info/credentials. All my other vaults are on 1Password.com. Going to Install now. Thanks for the quick response

@rr0ss0rr: You're very welcome! I'm glad to help in any way I can. :)

I chose the Sync using iCloud option and it prompts for the password. Is that the Local password? It's not working .. I know I'm getting old and I've been without my Mac for 2 weeks, but I'm questioning my senility

You're not the only one! Seems like it's one of those days. :sweat:

In order to access what's in iCloud, you will need to enter the Master Password you set for that specific vault when you created it.

It does sound like you have a rather complex matryoshka-doll-esque 1Password setup, with the password for one account/vault stored inside another. Once you're through this, I'd like to see if we can brainstorm a way to simplify things for you. I'd forget my Master Password too if I had different ones for different things... :dizzy:

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member

@brenty ... I'm all set .. My daughter said a word that hit a memory ;-). All set. Thanks again for your help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks so much for the update. I'm glad to hear it all worked out in the end. Love to your personal assistant there! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.