"passwords" category - Why do I need it? How do I use it? Can I make it go away?

Options
pinecone
pinecone
Community Member
edited January 2019 in Mac

I'm going thru all my logins and changing passwords to 1Password generated passwords. As I do this, the app adds these generated passwords to a category "Passwords".

I don't understand how this is beneficial to me and/or how I should make use of this category. For me it creates confusion because when I look at "duplicate passwords" it shows ALL my stored data because it's showing both "Logins" and "Passwords" categories. Since all my logins are now using generated passwords, there is an item in both categories for all my entries. This renders the Duplicate Passwords feature unusable since I would have to manually review each item (I have hundreds) to find actual instances of where I have used the same password >1 time.

Maybe if I understood how the Passwords category is intended to be used, the benefits would outweigh this issue. Or, is there a way to delete the category, or not have the duplicate password feature look at that category?

Thanks

1Password Version: Mac 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Good morning, @pinecone, and thanks for taking the time to write in. It’s great that you’re taking some time to transition to strong, generated passwords for all your logins, and I’m sorry to hear that it hasn’t been smooth sailing for you. Just so I can clarify the steps you’re taking, you:

1. Bring up a Login item.
    2. Click the Edit button.
    3. Use the small button next to the password to bring up the password generator.
    4. Generate a new, strong password.
    5. Save the item.

At the ends of this you have a new Password item as well as an updated password for your Login? Let me know, thanks!

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member
    Options

I know how to change my passwords. I've been doing exactly as you described, with the results as you stated.

What is confusing is the "Passwords" category.

Why does this feature exist?
    Why is it needed when the info is already stored as a "Login"?
    How do I make use of it?
    How can I have it not included in the "Duplicate Passwords" search feature?

• Indeed, I can see how that would be confusing. It would appear that you’ve run afoul of a bug in 1Password 6. You’re best bet is to ensure that these Password items are duplicates of the ones in your Logins and then delete them. There’s no reason for them otherwise.

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member
    Options

A bug? Your knowledge-base articles indicate that saving the passwords to the password category is a feature:

https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password/

I'm uneasy deleting this data when I don't understand why it's stored in a separate category, and I don't understand how this category is intended to be used.

Where can I find complete documentation of the Passwords Category feature?

Thanks.

• If you are generating new passwords using just the password generator while changing your password on a website, then that article is correct and that is a feature, not a bug. However, if you’re seeing Password items being created when just editing an item in the main 1Password app itself, then I would say that’s not right.

The Passwords category is there to store things that are just passwords (like a bike lock combination, or a gym locker, or any other password that doesn’t have a username with it). It also stores generated passwords that you create while using 1Password within your browser.

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member
    Options

I am updating passwords for existing logins by changing the password (on the website) to use a 1Password generated password. The
    1Password login item is updated after I see the prompt asking if I want to update the existing item & agree. A new item is created in the "Passwords" category containing just the password.

Whether this is the intended action or a bug is not relevant to me. The result is a useless Duplicate Password list, because all items show as duplicates. I'd like to know how to:

1. Prevent this from happening

OR:

1. Exclude the Password Category from the Duplicate Passwords search

OR at the very least, understand:

Why does this feature exist?
    Why is it needed when the info is already stored as a "Login"?
    How do I make use of it?
    Can I delete the entire category?

Thanks

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member
    Options

Has anyone else struggled with this? I'd really like to find a solution to how this affects the Duplicate Passwords search.

Thanks.

• Good morning @pinecone, apologies for the delay in getting back to you. To answer your questions from above: there is no way to prevent this from happening nor is there anything way to exclude the Password category from appearing in the Duplicate Passwords search.

1Password saves your generated passwords as Password items as a failsafe. It should be cleaning this up after your Login items get updated with the new password, but it is not. Your workaround for this is to manually delete the Password item after you update your passwords. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member
    Options

I have hundreds of these, doing it 1 by 1 is an onerous task.

Can I delete the category?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pinecone - default categories are not user-deletable, and the Passwords category is a key one of these. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

This discussion has been closed.